peer to peer

Old January 11th 08, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

Default peer to peer

I have been looking into peer to peer - where one "dials" the IP
rather than going through a provider. I got the idea from the recent
thread on BT Home Hubs.

I decided to do a bit of local testing myself as I have a Zyxel ATA
with two lines. So I set the phone book up with two entries each
pointing to the other line via the external address (I have fixed IPs)
- You have to use the phone book as you can't "dial" an IP.

If I call either phone from the other using their "land line numbers",
ie it goes to the provider and back again, the other phone rings. But
if I use the speed dial IP entry I just get silence. If I use the
speed dial entry to call the one I am calling from I get engaged as
expected. So "something" is happening, just not what I expected. I set
the phone book entry to be the number provided by the provider for
that line and the ATA's external IP address.

I must be missing something obvious. I someone has a setup that works
by "dialing" IP numbers please PM me and I will give you a number to
try.

TIA
--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old January 11th 08, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

Bad form to reply to one's own post but....

With some help from another reader we established that it *can* work
provided that both ends can solve going through NAT. My Zyxel is OK as
it can embed the external IP address in the VOIP packet - but the
other end was not. So my end was trying to reply to his *internal*
address as he normally went through a STUN server. So we ended up with
a one way conversation.

Still no idea why my Line 1 can't call Line 2 though. Snooping the
packets it appears that they are just throwing invites at each other.
Anyone know where I can find the gory details of VOIP packets?

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old January 11th 08, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Dave Saville wrote:
Anyone know where I can find the gory details of VOIP packets?

RFC3261 will go into just about as much gory detail as you could ask for.

This website might have some easier to digest information on it though:

http://www.tech-invite.com/

cheers,
Paul.
Old January 11th 08, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:54:21 UTC, Paul Hayes
wrote:

Dave Saville wrote:
Anyone know where I can find the gory details of VOIP packets?

RFC3261 will go into just about as much gory detail as you could ask for.

This website might have some easier to digest information on it though:

http://www.tech-invite.com/

Excellent - Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old January 11th 08, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Dave Saville wrote:
Bad form to reply to one's own post but....

With some help from another reader we established that it *can* work
provided that both ends can solve going through NAT. My Zyxel is OK as
it can embed the external IP address in the VOIP packet - but the
other end was not. So my end was trying to reply to his *internal*
address as he normally went through a STUN server. So we ended up with
a one way conversation.

Still no idea why my Line 1 can't call Line 2 though. Snooping the
packets it appears that they are just throwing invites at each other.
Anyone know where I can find the gory details of VOIP packets?

You don't say which Zyxel ATA but on the 2002's I have here, you just
dial #### and it dials the phone on the other port.
Old January 11th 08, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:32:38 UTC, Desk Rabbit
wrote:

Dave Saville wrote:
Bad form to reply to one's own post but....

With some help from another reader we established that it *can* work
provided that both ends can solve going through NAT. My Zyxel is OK as
it can embed the external IP address in the VOIP packet - but the
other end was not. So my end was trying to reply to his *internal*
address as he normally went through a STUN server. So we ended up with
a one way conversation.

Still no idea why my Line 1 can't call Line 2 though. Snooping the
packets it appears that they are just throwing invites at each other.
Anyone know where I can find the gory details of VOIP packets?

You don't say which Zyxel ATA but on the 2002's I have here, you just
dial #### and it dials the phone on the other port.

Yes I know (it is a 2002) but I was trying to test out "dialing by IP"
and did not know anyone to try it with.

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old January 11th 08, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

wrote:

You don't say which Zyxel ATA but on the 2002's I have here, you just
dial #### and it dials the phone on the other port.

Ops - hit the send key too quickly :-)

The other thing the 2002 book does not say is if it is OK to use the
*same* port numbers for both lines. It would appear from testing that
one can - the firmware obviously selecting by the SIP number as to
which phone to route it to.

Wich the phone book were longer though.

Thanks for trying to help.

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old January 12th 08, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Dave,
you CAN dial IP numbers directly, start and end with #. use * for .
e.g.
#123*45*67*89#
Regards,
Martin

Old January 12th 08, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

#123*45*67*89#

Martin

But what about the number? is it 123456#81*81*81*81# ? And does this
work on any ATA?

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old January 12th 08, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

news:[email protected]

#123*45*67*89#

Martin

But what about the number? is it 123456#81*81*81*81# ? And does this
work on any ATA?

You've missed the point, there isn't a number, it's peer to peer.
(And FWIW I haven't got it to work either)
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%