Orange (Old Freeserve) Webmail

Old January 12th 08, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Orange (Old Freeserve) Webmail

I've got an old freeserve pop email account, it attracts a lot of spam
which I have set on the webmail control panel to go straight in to a
spam folder.

I cannot appear to log in to my account to clear this folder, on trying
to log in the page just appears to hang.

I have tried different browsers as well as XP and Linux, all to no avail.

Anyone had a similar problem.

Geoff Lane
Followup-To:uk.telecom.broadband
Old January 12th 08, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message

: : I've got an old freeserve pop email account, it
: : attracts a lot of spam which I have set on the webmail
: : control panel to go straight in to a spam folder.
: :
: : I cannot appear to log in to my account to clear this
: : folder, on trying to log in the page just appears to
: : hang.
: :
: : I have tried different browsers as well as XP and
: : Linux, all to no avail.
: :
: : Anyone had a similar problem.

What page are you using..? Orange have two sites for email, one for
orange.net accounts and one for ex-FS accounts. They won't accept logins
for accounts on the other.

Try this one: http://email01.orange.co.uk/webmail/en_GB/login.html - it's
very fast and doesn't seem to suffer the login problems the orange.net one
does.

Ivor

Old January 12th 08, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message

[...]

I know this doesn't contradict what you say, but
the login box near the top of their "homepage"
www.orange.co.uk seem to accept all accounts.
It certainly accepts my freeserve ones.

To the OP, I had no problems, until I tried to use
"block a word" in the blocked list settings and I
got the following message.

Your changes have not been saved as the Orange
Webmail service is currently being upgraded.
The upgrade is due to be completed in 1 day

I tried it again 5 min later and it worked!
Reminds me of idiots who put a notice on their
front door "Back in 15 min"
15 min *from when*.
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old January 12th 08, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Graham." wrote in message

: : I know this doesn't contradict what you say, but
: : the login box near the top of their "homepage"
: : www.orange.co.uk seem to accept all accounts.
: : It certainly accepts my freeserve ones.

Hmm. You're right, but logging out from my FS account gives the page I
gave before..!

Ivor

Old January 12th 08, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Ivor Jones wrote:

: : I've got an old freeserve pop email account, it
: : attracts a lot of spam which I have set on the webmail
: : control panel to go straight in to a spam folder.
: :
: : I cannot appear to log in to my account to clear this
: : folder, on trying to log in the page just appears to
: : hang.

Try this one: http://email01.orange.co.uk/webmail/en_GB/login.html -
it's very fast and doesn't seem to suffer the login problems the
orange.net one does.

Eventually I got in, I think it is something to do with reaching my
limit, I had 1000s of messages in my JUNK folder and apparently up to 100MB.

Deleted and not can sign in easy.

Tried to set up a filter to dump anything with subject of *** SPAM ***
into deleted folder but dot doesn't seem to be working.

So just using Thunderbird to hourly download headers only and delete on
server the SPAM. Seems to be working :-))

Geoff Lane
Old January 12th 08, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Geoff Lane wrote:

Deleted and not can sign in easy.

Deleted and ** CAN ** sign in easy. Haven't a clue how the not appeared
in the sentence but suppose it had to be my fingers :-))

Geoff Lane
Old January 13th 08, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Ivor Jones wrote:

Hmm. You're right, but logging out from my FS account gives the page I
gave before..!

Ivor,

Do you use the automatic SPAM filters on the account.

I've set mine to go straight in to the JUNK folder but for some reason
it doesn't get emptied.

Tried to allow it into my inbox then set a filter to move any subject
line with *** SPAM *** into deleted items, enabled it but it still ends
up in my inbox.

Trouble seems to be when the JUNK folders gets near full it is very
difficult to log in, don't know why that should be but seems to happen.

Geoff Lane

Old January 13th 08, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allan Gould

Geoff Lane wrote:
I've got an old freeserve pop email account, it attracts a lot of spam
which I have set on the webmail control panel to go straight in to a
spam folder.

Further to other posters recommending the webmail interface for
Freeserve (was bought by Wanadoo, then became Orange), the better URL
might be:
http://email.orange.co.uk/
this will then switch to whichever server e.g.
http://email01.orange.co.uk/
is currently in use. They appear to have what seems to be some sort of
loadsharing. There's at least email01, 02 & 03.

Allan
Old January 13th 08, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Ivor Jones wrote:

Hmm. You're right, but logging out from my FS account gives the page I
gave before..!

Ivor,

Do you use the automatic SPAM filters on the account.

I've set mine to go straight in to the JUNK folder but for some reason it
doesn't get emptied.

Tried to allow it into my inbox then set a filter to move any subject line
with *** SPAM *** into deleted items, enabled it but it still ends up in
my inbox.

Trouble seems to be when the JUNK folders gets near full it is very
difficult to log in, don't know why that should be but seems to happen.

Geoff Lane

And the really nice thing is if you read your email with a POP3
client, the stuff you put through the *** SPAM *** filter
doesn't even get downloaded and there is an option to
delete them immediately. Are you saying the 7 day retention
doesn't apply, or you get so much spam it exceeds
the capacity before the 7 days.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I haven't taken
much notice in what you can do with the webmail

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%