Should I expect faster speeds?

Old January 12th 08, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Mason

Default Should I expect faster speeds?

My modem router currently syncs at 4024kbps (sometime occasionally 3776kbps)
but my download speed never reaches anything above 1996kbps.

I assume there is some sort of 2mbit cap on the speed on my line?

Is it time to speak to the ISP? What sort of download speed should I be
expecting from a sync at 3776kbps?

I currently see about 212kilobytes a second at present and no more than that
ever! (That is an absolute maximum).

Thanks
Ronnie

Old January 12th 08, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Ron Mason wrote:

My modem router currently syncs at 4024kbps (sometime occasionally 3776kbps)
but my download speed never reaches anything above 1996kbps.

I assume there is some sort of 2mbit cap on the speed on my line?

It loks suspiciously like it.

Is it time to speak to the ISP?

Yes.

What sort of download speed should I be
expecting from a sync at 3776kbps?

About 10% less than the sync rate under best case conditions.

I currently see about 212kilobytes a second at present and no more than that
ever! (That is an absolute maximum).

Which ISP do you use

Graham

Old January 12th 08, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Ron Mason" wrote in message
My modem router currently syncs at 4024kbps (sometime occasionally
3776kbps)
but my download speed never reaches anything above 1996kbps.

I assume there is some sort of 2mbit cap on the speed on my line?

Is it time to speak to the ISP? What sort of download speed should I be
expecting from a sync at 3776kbps?

3776kbps equates to being capped at 3Mbps.
If you stay at 4024kbps for 24 Hours your limit should go up to 3.5Mbps.

the speeds ou see in practice will depend on how well your ISP is connected
to the rest of the internet as well as on the spped you connect at and are
capped at, but I would expect to see speeds around 90%-95% of your cap
sometimes.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old January 12th 08, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

Drat -- made a bit of a mess of that.

spped - speed

Old January 12th 08, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
Drat -- made a bit of a mess of that.

spped - speed

Don't worry we all making smelling mistakes even when we use spill
chuckers....

Old January 12th 08, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:06:26 +0000, Ron Mason wrote:

My modem router currently syncs at 4024kbps (sometime occasionally
3776kbps) but my download speed never reaches anything above 1996kbps.

I assume there is some sort of 2mbit cap on the speed on my line?

Did you buy 8M or 2M service?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
16:41:59 up 7 days, 7:06, 2 users, load average: 1.06, 1.09, 1.07
Old January 12th 08, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Mason

"alexd" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:06:26 +0000, Ron Mason wrote:

My modem router currently syncs at 4024kbps (sometime occasionally
3776kbps) but my download speed never reaches anything above 1996kbps.

I assume there is some sort of 2mbit cap on the speed on my line?

Did you buy 8M or 2M service?

Upto 8 meg (ADSL Max)

Ron.

Old January 12th 08, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
"Ron Mason" wrote in message
My modem router currently syncs at 4024kbps (sometime occasionally
3776kbps)
but my download speed never reaches anything above 1996kbps.

I assume there is some sort of 2mbit cap on the speed on my line?

Is it time to speak to the ISP? What sort of download speed should I be
expecting from a sync at 3776kbps?

3776kbps equates to being capped at 3Mbps.
If you stay at 4024kbps for 24 Hours your limit should go up to 3.5Mbps.

It took me three days without a single reset, manual or otherwise, to
get my BRAS up to 3500 from 3000.Synced at 45000 dead - and still is AFAIK..

the speeds ou see in practice will depend on how well your ISP is connected
to the rest of the internet as well as on the spped you connect at and are
capped at, but I would expect to see speeds around 90%-95% of your cap
sometimes.

If never, probvably not so much a cap, as a wimpy cheap backhaul.

Old January 13th 08, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

In message
at 16:44:38 on Sat, 12 Jan 2008, Ron Mason
wrote

"alexd" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:06:26 +0000, Ron Mason wrote:

My modem router currently syncs at 4024kbps (sometime occasionally
3776kbps) but my download speed never reaches anything above 1996kbps.

I assume there is some sort of 2mbit cap on the speed on my line?

Did you buy 8M or 2M service?

Upto 8 meg (ADSL Max)

Ron.

You still haven't said who you use
if you don't want to say, do they feature on this graph
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php
If so, are they in the top, middle or bottom third?
--
Mike News
Old January 14th 08, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

It took me three days without a single reset, manual or otherwise, to get
my BRAS up to 3500 from 3000.Synced at 45000 dead - and still is AFAIK..

45000 blimey!