Sky broadband

Old January 14th 08, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Default Sky broadband

Anyone signed up with sk broadband ?

Thinking about giving them a whirl for 5 a month... I was wondering though
if you have to be a subscribing to a tv package. I am but will not be in the
next 6 months as will just use my sky box for freeview.

Appreciate any views and user experiences from sky boradband.

Thanks

Old January 14th 08, 12:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

James wrote:
Anyone signed up with sk broadband ?

Thinking about giving them a whirl for 5 a month... I was wondering
though if you have to be a subscribing to a tv package. I am but will
not be in the next 6 months as will just use my sky box for freeview.

Appreciate any views and user experiences from sky boradband.

Thanks

Excellent in general, very fast speed (much better then BT), reliable router
and connection, their unlimited 10 seems to be really, unlimited, I have,
on a few occasions had cause to really hammer the connection, i downloaded a
hd rip of gladiator for testing purposes only, when i first got my hdtv, it
was about 20gb. The download was a sustained 300kbps (my line speed is about
2900) for the entire download, not a hiccup.

Like all broadband companies though, when their is a problem, it can be hard
work to get it sorted (i have liaised with Sky on behalf of several
customers, and their support can be poor).

Gaz

Old January 14th 08, 01:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Anyone signed up with sk broadband ?

Yup, very few problems here apart from when they changed the mail
servers to google mail without any warning...

Thinking about giving them a whirl for 5 a month... I was wondering though
if you have to be a subscribing to a tv package. I am but will not be in the
next 6 months as will just use my sky box for freeview.

Not sure if you need to be a TV customer as well to get the cheap
rates - perhaps someone over at skyuser.co.uk might be able to
clarify...

One last thing - check which exchange you're on at samknows.com - if
you're not on a Sky LLU'd exchange, think again - non-LLU exchanges
use a "bought-in" service from another ISP and it apparently stinks.
Old January 14th 08, 01:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Colin Wilson wrote:
Anyone signed up with sk broadband ?

Yup, very few problems here apart from when they changed the mail
servers to google mail without any warning...

Did they start working? Sky emails where incredibly unreliable, their login
process on their website seems to work on a random basis.

Gaz

Old January 14th 08, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl Waring

Colin Wilson wrote:
Not sure if you need to be a TV customer as well to get the cheap
rates - perhaps someone over at skyuser.co.uk might be able to
clarify...

Yes, you do.

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide:

Old January 14th 08, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"James" wrote in message
news
Anyone signed up with sk broadband ?

Thinking about giving them a whirl for 5 a month... I was wondering
though if you have to be a subscribing to a tv package. I am but will not
be in the next 6 months as will just use my sky box for freeview.

Appreciate any views and user experiences from sky boradband.

Thanks

I have the 10 per month service and it is very good.
Faster and more reliable than my previous ISP.
I have BE broadband at work and the two are very similar in quality.

However, I do not use the sky email service.

Do yourself a favour and buy a domain name and then run it through Gmail.
It will work better for you as an email solution and you won't have to keep
changing your email address.
See this article:

http://www.hostroute.com/blog/2007/1...d-receive.html

Old January 14th 08, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

James wrote:
Anyone signed up with sk broadband ?

I'm on the 5/month mid package. Does what it says on the tin and I'm
unlikely to move when my initial 12 months is up soon. I have three
relatives on the 0/month base package and they're all very happy with it.

Thinking about giving them a whirl for 5 a month... I was wondering
though if you have to be a subscribing to a tv package.

If you don't, I'm pretty sure the cost is 17/month.

Old January 14th 08, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

Gaz wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
Anyone signed up with sk broadband ?

Yup, very few problems here apart from when they changed the mail
servers to google mail without any warning...

Did they start working? Sky emails where incredibly unreliable, their login
process on their website seems to work on a random basis.

Gaz

Don't use it much, but having gone to webmail and enabled POP access
(it's disabled by default), there have not been any problems checking
for mail.

--
PeeGee

The reply address is a spam trap. All mail is reported as spam.
to be removed from a computer easily."
Old January 14th 08, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 00:28:41 -0000, "James" wrote:

Anyone signed up with sk broadband ?

Thinking about giving them a whirl for 5 a month... I was wondering though
if you have to be a subscribing to a tv package. I am but will not be in the
next 6 months as will just use my sky box for freeview.

Appreciate any views and user experiences from sky boradband.

If my daughters experience is anything to go by. The 5 a month offered on the
phone and in the adverts turned out to be 17 a month ( "you live in the wrong
area"). Read the adverts carefully. The service is a disgrace. There are days
without a connection being possible, on a good day the link is broken every few
minutes. The problem is not at my daughter's end as Sky suggested, because when
I visited her there was one day when the link was maintained for more than 12
hours. On other days it was impossible to make a connection.
--

Martin

Old January 14th 08, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:04:17 -0000, "Grant" wrote:

James wrote:
Anyone signed up with sk broadband ?

I'm on the 5/month mid package. Does what it says on the tin and I'm
unlikely to move when my initial 12 months is up soon. I have three
relatives on the 0/month base package and they're all very happy with it.

Thinking about giving them a whirl for 5 a month... I was wondering
though if you have to be a subscribing to a tv package.

If you don't, I'm pretty sure the cost is 17/month.

My daughter is a Sky TV, phone and broad band subscriber and still pays GBP
17/month for broadband. What you pay and the service you get seems to be very
dependent on where you live.
--

Martin