Telewest phone socket..which broadband to get

Old January 16th 08, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poco

Default Telewest phone socket..which broadband to get

Hi,

Am I limited to Virgin broadband with this phone socket?
If not, any suggestions of BB company's would be welcome.

Many thanks

Tony

Old January 16th 08, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh G. Rection

"poco" wrote in message
Hi,

Am I limited to Virgin broadband with this phone socket?
If not, any suggestions of BB company's would be welcome.

Many thanks

Tony

You'll not get any ADSL through that phone socket.

Hugh

Old January 16th 08, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HVS

On 16 Jan 2008, poco wrote

Hi,

Am I limited to Virgin broadband with this phone socket?
If not, any suggestions of BB company's would be welcome.

As Hugh says, you can't get ADSL on a cable telephone line.

Unless you also have a BT line, you're limited to Virgin broadband --
it comes through a direct cable connection, though, rather than via
their phone socket.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Old January 16th 08, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
naza

On 16 Jan, 17:39, "poco" wrote:
Hi,

Am I limited to Virgin broadband with this phone socket?
If not, any suggestions of BB company's would be welcome.

Many thanks

Tony

You cannot get broadband via a telewest socket at all. If you have
moved house and the socket is there and you are with BT then as part
of reconnecting you they will install their socket at the property as
part of reconnecting you and wont cost you anything, but if you are
using virgin media for tv or phone and want broadband now then your
limited to virgin media. You could join BT but I think there is a cost
of £125 for a new line if you property is not connected to the BT
network at all and then your monthly rent for your phone line which
will be able to carry ADSL. I dont think you have to pay the fee if
you property has the dropwire already in place.
Old January 16th 08, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

naza wrote:
On 16 Jan, 17:39, "poco" wrote:
Hi,

Am I limited to Virgin broadband with this phone socket?
If not, any suggestions of BB company's would be welcome.

Many thanks

Tony

You cannot get broadband via a telewest socket at all. If you have
moved house and the socket is there and you are with BT then as part
of reconnecting you they will install their socket at the property
as part of reconnecting you and wont cost you anything, but if you
are using virgin media for tv or phone and want broadband now then
your limited to virgin media. You could join BT but I think there
is a cost of £125 for a new line if you property is not connected
to the BT network at all and then your monthly rent for your phone
line which will be able to carry ADSL.

Pedant mode on
You will get a telephone line over which Openreach will do best
efforts to supply DSL service. Now whether that is possible or not
will depend on many factors but there is no guarantee that it will be
possible...

Mode off

Old January 16th 08, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poco

"kraftee" wrote in message
naza wrote:
On 16 Jan, 17:39, "poco" wrote:
[...]

Many thanks everyone.
I didn't get a good luck at what other connections are there.
It's a newish building so I hope they have thought about internet
connections.
I'll see when i get there I suppose.

Cheers again.