How can I find out what speed an exchange provides?

Old January 17th 08, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bornfree

Default How can I find out what speed an exchange provides?

I want to know the speed that the exchange at Bayswater (WEWBAY),
Central London can achieve.

www.samknows.com doesn't seem to give a speed any more. (I think it
used to, but I am not sure.)
Old January 17th 08, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

bornfree wrote:
I want to know the speed that the exchange at Bayswater (WEWBAY),
Central London can achieve.

www.samknows.com doesn't seem to give a speed any more. (I think it
used to, but I am not sure.)

how long is the piece of string from Bayswater?

Your question is fairly meaningless as no speed is guaranteed from any
exchange but all can supply _upto_ 8Mbps with some of them (if they
have had LLU equipment fitted) it can be _upto_ 16Mbps or even in some
case _upto_ 24Mbps.

There is no promise of what speed you will be able to get & a lot will
depend on your own wiring (that's any wiring in your house), what
equipment you install & how you install it.

Old January 18th 08, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

bornfree wrote:
I want to know the speed that the exchange at Bayswater (WEWBAY),
Central London can achieve.

www.samknows.com doesn't seem to give a speed any more. (I think it
used to, but I am not sure.)

on this site

www.kizt.co.uk

there is a link to a line estimator. It gave me loads of info about my
exchange, and its speeds were pretty good guesses when I keyed in my
number..
Old January 18th 08, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

kraftee wrote:
bornfree wrote:
I want to know the speed that the exchange at Bayswater (WEWBAY),
Central London can achieve.

www.samknows.com doesn't seem to give a speed any more. (I think it
used to, but I am not sure.)

how long is the piece of string from Bayswater?

Your question is fairly meaningless as no speed is guaranteed from any
exchange but all can supply _upto_ 8Mbps with some of them (if they
have had LLU equipment fitted) it can be _upto_ 16Mbps or even in some
case _upto_ 24Mbps.

There is no promise of what speed you will be able to get

But a fair estimate from your number and postcode.

& a lot will
depend on your own wiring (that's any wiring in your house), what
equipment you install & how you install it.

No, thats rubbish. If the kit works at all, and you haven't any blatant
crap in your installation, the speed you get will be totally dependent
on the exchange, how far you are from it, and the line quality, on ADSL MAX.

With the proviso of course that if the ISP is crap, you may not get
actual *download* speeds approaching what you *synch* at.

Old January 18th 08, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
kraftee wrote:
bornfree wrote:
[...]

Sorry mate but you're the one talking rubbish.

Quick example - over a period of time I've been sent three (yes, 3) HomeHubs
that I never wanted. I had already read of various problems with the
electronics and the way they performed, as well as looking cheap and nasty,
so I stuck with my trusty old BT Voyager 2091, and when that eventually
died, I went over to Linksys.

Long story but to cut it short, I was without the Linksys for 3 days so I
got one of the hubs out as a temporary solution, then one of the others, and
finally the third - and this is the result:

Voyager 2091 - synched at 8096, 100% signal at my property boundary
Linksys WAG54GS - exactly as above
BT Home Hub 1 - synched at 5137, 50% signal (at best, but intermittently
worse and drops)
BT Home Hub 2 - synched at 5583, 40% signal (ditto)
BT Home Hub 3 - synched at 4537, 39% signal (ditto)

Got my Linksys back and all was rosy again - 8096 and 100% signal.

The BT HomeHub is one of the most useless things I've ever come across.

So you see, equipment does matter.

John

Old January 18th 08, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Obsidian Order

www.kizt.co.uk

Can't get it to work, All I get is "Internet Explorer cannot display the
webpage"

Old January 18th 08, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

bornfree wrote:
I want to know the speed that the exchange at Bayswater (WEWBAY),
Central London can achieve.

www.samknows.com doesn't seem to give a speed any more. (I think it
used to, but I am not sure.)

on this site

www.kizt.co.uk

Apologiew

www.kitz.co.uk

Old January 18th 08, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Obsidian Order wrote:

www.kizt.co.uk

Can't get it to work, All I get is "Internet Explorer cannot display the
webpage"

It was a typo.

Try this ....
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php

Graham

Old January 18th 08, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:43:47 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

www.kizt.co.uk

there is a link to a line estimator. It gave me loads of info about my
exchange, and its speeds were pretty good guesses when I keyed in my
number..

Humph. Gives me 2M - I get about 1.5M usually, but 700k this pm. Might be
something to do with Homecall/Pipex/Tiscali/rain.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Old January 18th 08, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:43:47 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

www.kizt.co.uk

there is a link to a line estimator. It gave me loads of info about my
exchange, and its speeds were pretty good guesses when I keyed in my
number..

Humph. Gives me 2M - I get about 1.5M usually, but 700k this pm.

Download or synch?

It says I will get 2.9Mbos. In fact I synch between 3.5 and 4.2Mbps, and
if the central heating stays off (sparky stats) will get a BRAS of 3500,
though its down to 3000 again today. Bugger.

Download speeds are typically 290K-310Kbytes/sec

Might be
something to do with Homecall/Pipex/Tiscali/rain.

Well teh download speeds might be due to homecall/tiscali, but the synch
speeds will be rain, wind, people running up motors in your area..etc
etc etc.

Frankly I was on 256/576 for a couple of years, and it was almost fast
enough,. I really wanted more UPLOAD speed. I got 448kbps..any extra
download was a bonus.

Anything over a meg is fine by me..tho its nice to have bloody software
updates come down in minutes, not hours.