Pipex Solo 1000 - WTF?

Old January 17th 08, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dom Robinson

Default Pipex Solo 1000 - WTF?

I'm on this old deal with the 23.44/month cost and have just found
out (I'm presuming this happened in the last week as the news server
has SNAFU'd as well, even though their site claims no problem with it)
that instead of getting the 2Mb service I've been getting for some
time, I'm only on 1Mb!

Might sound obvious from the "1000" part of the name, but it went up
to 2Mb some time ago. I've had no notification from them and am livid.

I can see myself changing ISP very soon and this comes after several
years of being with Pipex.

Anyone else had this problem? Ta.
Old January 18th 08, 12:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I can see myself changing ISP very soon and this comes after several
years of being with Pipex.

Stop ****ing around and get out of the sinking ship as quickly as
possible. I did (I was on the same package as you btw) and haven't
regretted it once. I left for Sky Max LLU around April last year.

When I asked for a MAC after being ****ed around with a ****
connection for months, first the phone monkey at the other end told me
that a competitors' "up to 8Mbit" offer was complete ****, and my line
stats indicated i'd get nowhere near it, and when I said no, I want
out, first they offered a faster "up to 8Mbit" package for (a lot)
less money, but required a new 12 month contract.

I had to point out that their "latest" offer would be on the same line
they'd already said would be **** with anyone else, ergo, would be
just as **** with their own service.

- way to shoot yourself in the foot !

I also pointed out how ****ing unhappy I was to have been kept on the
higher priced package when they were offering faster for less.

No answer to that one.

Get out, stay out.
Old January 18th 08, 01:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dom Robinson

On 18 Jan, 00:58, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:
I can see myself changing ISP very soon and this comes after several
years of being with Pipex.

Stop ****ing around and get out of the sinking ship as quickly as
possible. I did (I was on the same package as you btw) and haven't
regretted it once. I left for Sky Max LLU around April last year.

Am I right in thinking that, since I subscribe to Sky TV, I won't be
charged the 30 connection fee? Just trying to fathom out the T&Cs at
this late hour

When I asked for a MAC after being ****ed around with a ****
connection for months, first the phone monkey at the other end told me
that a competitors' "up to 8Mbit" offer was complete ****, and my line
stats indicated i'd get nowhere near it, and when I said no, I want
out, first they offered a faster "up to 8Mbit" package for (a lot)
less money, but required a new 12 month contract.

I was planning to email them the request. I've already said I'll be
seeking an alternate supplier if I don't hear within 24 hours, but
given what you've posted about Sky, and that being just a tenner a
month for 16Mb (well, up to) then I think I'm sold on that.

I had to point out that their "latest" offer would be on the same line
they'd already said would be **** with anyone else, ergo, would be
just as **** with their own service.

- way to shoot yourself in the foot !

LOL! Excellent. They really do have bobbins customer service staff

I also pointed out how ****ing unhappy I was to have been kept on the
higher priced package when they were offering faster for less.

No answer to that one.

I was a bit sceptical about the cheaper ones at Pipex being given more
harsh throttling rates and that 'long-standing' customers might get
some leniency there, but then I guess that's why old people stay with
British Gas: they think there's loyalty with companies when there's
actually bugger all.

Get out, stay out.

Like the Fire Brigade ads

Thanks for your input. Has the service with Sky been good? Ta.
Old January 18th 08, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Thanks for your input. Has the service with Sky been good? Ta.

Off the top of my head, I can't recall any http downtime, and while
their email used to be f*cking abysmal when it was in-house, it's now
hosted via Google mail, and is all the better for it.

Sadly it would appear NetMeter has reset my stats, but from memory
i've probably come close to averaging 50-60Gb per month without any
arguments from Sky.

If you play online games, you can pay a small fee (3?) to be put onto
a non-interleaved (IIRC) line to help the ping response times, but
mine's bearable as it is (varies depending on the server, but often
70-120ms)

My connection (over the same line Pipex said would be ****) is
currently 6528kbps at a downstream attenuation of 50dB and noise
margin of 6.9dB to 7.3dB (variable) - it seems to be fairly stable at
that, but the worst i've seen it dip to was *just* under 6000kbps.

Yes, i'm paying 10 a month for "up to 16Mbit" - and I know i'm only
seeing a ~third of that (at around 3-4km from the exchange), but it
does seem to be a true "uncapped" connection, and it's still less than
half the price of poopex.