Tiscali Max

Old January 18th 08, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
capsule

Default Tiscali Max

I've had a stable 2Meg broadband connection from Tiscali for a couple of
years.

The other day, the connection turned to crap, and right afterwards I got
an email saying that I'd been given a free upgrade to Tiscali Max.

Previously my line used to sync at this every time:

2304kb/s down 288kb/s up

After the "upgrade" my line almost always syncs at one of these

ATM dev 0: ADSL line is up (1568 kb/s down | 160 kb/s up)

ATM dev 0: ADSL line is up (1696 kb/s down | 160 kb/s up)

ATM dev 0: ADSL line is up (1760 kb/s down | 128 kb/s up)

Once, and only once, I saw it sync for about 20 minutes with this:

ATM dev 0: ADSL line is up (5333 kb/s down | 128 kb/s up)

which shocked me enough to trying downloading a file, and sure enough it
came down at about 400+ K/s.

It mentions a "training" period for Max connection, but is this wild
variation normal? What can I expect -- am I looking forward to a faster
connection eventually, or another dreadful slog through the Tiscali
trouble ticket support maze?

Thanks
Old January 18th 08, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
capsule

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 01:03:04 +0100, capsule wrote:

Once, and only once, I saw it sync for about 20 minutes with this:

ATM dev 0: ADSL line is up (5333 kb/s down | 128 kb/s up)

that should have read.

ATM dev 0: ADSL line is up (5333 kb/s down | 288 kb/s up)

Old January 18th 08, 07:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jessica B

This is probably "normal" bearing in mind what Tiscali state in the email:

"Please remember during the first 10 days whilst your maximum line rate is
being established you are likely to experience some variations in speed and
short breaks in your connection. This is normal and we would therefore
request that you please refrain from calling Tiscali Technical Support until
after the initial 10 day stabilisation period."

Old January 19th 08, 02:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
capsule

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 07:31:21 +0000, Jessica B wrote:

This is probably "normal" bearing in mind what Tiscali state in the
email:

"Please remember during the first 10 days whilst your maximum line rate
is being established you are likely to experience some variations in
speed and short breaks in your connection. This is normal and we would
therefore request that you please refrain from calling Tiscali Technical
Support until after the initial 10 day stabilisation period."

Variation would be ok... but this is consistently settling on a speed
that is a between 1500kb/s and 1700kb/s. Compared to 2333kb/s that I used
to get before they "upgraded" me to Tiscali Max without asking - and
that's the downstream figure. The upstream is consistently less than half
(128kb/s) of what it used to be (288kb/s).