"Lease obtained; lease expires" - can someone explain these?

Old January 18th 08, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hungerdunger

Default "Lease obtained; lease expires" - can someone explain these?

In my Wireless Connections Status window there are various details such as
the computer's physical and IP addresses and also "Lease obtained [date and
time]" and "Lease expires [date and time]".

The first appears to be the time I booted up the PC and the second is three
days after the first.

I've never noticed these until today when I was round at a friend's father's
house. He showed me these details on his PC, and he insisted that if he
didn't renew the lease before its expiry he would have to go through a
"rigmarole" to get it going again. He was also rather vague about how he
renewed it, but as he's well into his eighties, I think that's pretty
understandable*. I'm also pretty sure that his expiry date was only 24
hours after the obtained date.

Could someone spare a couple of minutes either to point me to a good web
site or to explain to me how leases work; why mine appear to renew
automatically; why it seems he has to physically renew his lease every day
or risk losing the connection; and whether he can fix this problem.

*I THINK he told me he goes to "View available networks"; makes a change in
the settings; then undoes the change and this renews the lease. But I'm not
100% certain.

TIA
--
Hungerdunger
To reply by email, remove the MARX from my address

Old January 18th 08, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"hungerdunger" wrote in message
[...]

Do a Goggle for DHCP
When your PC connects to your router, the router assigned
an IP address on your LAN from a range or "scope" of
addresses it has available. For reasons probably concerned
with larger networks than your LAN this assignment is
not permanent and needs to be renewed from time to time
hence the concept of a "lease".
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old January 18th 08, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GS

"Graham." wrote in message

[...]

In a typical Windows network the DHCP client will request a renewal before
the end of the lease (half way throguh, I think). You can force a renewal
using the command "ipconfig /renew". It shouldn't ever be necessary.

GS

Old January 18th 08, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In a typical Windows network the DHCP client will request a renewal before

the end of the lease (half way throguh, I think). You can force a renewal
using the command "ipconfig /renew".

Or if it is only a small number of, or only one PC, you can turn
it off and use static addressing. Google for it.
One advantage of static addressing is with wireless
connections, where if the connection is towards the
limits of its range, not having to re-negociate a lease
can make the connection more reliable.
But if you don't know much about PC config,
stick with DHCP unless you have connection problems.
Old January 18th 08, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hungerdunger

"GS" wrote in message
news

In a typical Windows network the DHCP client will request a renewal before
the end of the lease (half way throguh, I think). You can force a renewal
using the command "ipconfig /renew". It shouldn't ever be necessary.

Thanks for that suggestion, which sould be easier than what he does at
present, but can you suggest why he may be having these problems in the
first place? (Assuming he really does have a problem). Could there be some
settings (TCP/IP?) which need adjusting?

Old January 19th 08, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

hungerdunger wrote:
"GS" wrote in message
news
In a typical Windows network the DHCP client will request a renewal before
the end of the lease (half way throguh, I think). You can force a renewal
using the command "ipconfig /renew". It shouldn't ever be necessary.

Thanks for that suggestion, which sould be easier than what he does at
present, but can you suggest why he may be having these problems in the
first place?

I can't think of any reason why he would. MNaybe at sometime he had a
connection problem and some support dude talked him through this, and
now he thinks he has to do it every day. I _never_ renew my lease manually.

(Assuming he really does have a problem). Could there be some
settings (TCP/IP?) which need adjusting?

If he _really_ has to do this every day, you should be adjusting his ISP...

--
Mark McIntyre

CLC FAQ http://c-faq.com/
CLC readme: http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt
Old January 19th 08, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Mark McIntyre wrote:
hungerdunger wrote:
"GS" wrote in message
news
In a typical Windows network the DHCP client will request a
renewal before the end of the lease (half way throguh, I think).
You can force a renewal using the command "ipconfig /renew". It
shouldn't ever be necessary.

Thanks for that suggestion, which sould be easier than what he
does at present, but can you suggest why he may be having these
problems in the first place?

I can't think of any reason why he would. MNaybe at sometime he had
a connection problem and some support dude talked him through this,
and now he thinks he has to do it every day. I _never_ renew my
lease
manually.
(Assuming he really does have a problem). Could there be some
settings (TCP/IP?) which need adjusting?

If he _really_ has to do this every day, you should be adjusting
his ISP...

How would changing his ISP affect a possible problem on the internal
LAN?

Old January 19th 08, 02:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

: : : In a typical Windows network the DHCP client will
: : : request a renewal before
: : :
: : : the end of the lease (half way throguh, I think). You
: : : can force a renewal using the command "ipconfig
: : : /renew".
: :
: : Or if it is only a small number of, or only one PC, you
: : can turn it off and use static addressing. Google for
: : it.
: : One advantage of static addressing is with wireless
: : connections, where if the connection is towards the
: : limits of its range, not having to re-negociate a lease
: : can make the connection more reliable.
: : But if you don't know much about PC config,
: : stick with DHCP unless you have connection problems.

The problem with static addressing on a laptop is when you want to use it
out and about on a commercial wireless network, which will be using DHCP.
Your statically addressed laptop will never see the network to log on.

Ivor

Old January 19th 08, 05:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:14:13 -0000, "hungerdunger"
wrote:

Thanks for that suggestion, which sould be easier than what he does at
present, but can you suggest why he may be having these problems in the
first place? (Assuming he really does have a problem). Could there be some
settings (TCP/IP?) which need adjusting?

With winxp or vista you have the option of using control software
which comes with your wireless adaptor or letting windows handle the
wireless networking. Since you weren't specific about which control
utility is being used there can be no set answer to this question.

For sure, if windows (wireless zero configuration) is being used there
should be no problem with renewing dhcp leases automatically so if
other control software is currently in use, disable it and enable the
built in wireless zero configuration.

Older operating systems than winxp won't have built in wireless
support so the utility accompanying the network adaptor must be used.
If this is the case you need to post more details.

Jim.

Old January 19th 08, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 02:41:54 UTC, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

The problem with static addressing on a laptop is when you want to use it
out and about on a commercial wireless network, which will be using DHCP.
Your statically addressed laptop will never see the network to log on.

That's easily solved by setting the DHCP server locally to issue a very
long lease of the static address, tied to the MAC address of the laptop.
When theb laptop is used elsewhere, it just picks up whatever is
available, but reverts to the static address back home.

euthanasia recommended. ]