Orange Livebox and wireless laptop

Old January 18th 08, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

Default Orange Livebox and wireless laptop

Friend has broadband via Orange and a livebox. She has used a desktop
connected via ethernet for months with no problems.
She has just bought a wireless laptop (HP) but we can't seem to get it
connected to the livebox.
The laptop "sees" the livebox signal (ssid)but when we put in the long code
it won't accept it.
Anything else we should be looking at. Have Googled and seems others have
had the same problems and there is talk of "pairing"
Anyone had a similar problem?

Old January 18th 08, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
al Mossah

On 18 Jan, 20:07, "SJP" wrote:
Friend has broadband via Orange and a livebox. She has used a desktop
connected via ethernet for months with no problems.
She has just bought a wireless laptop (HP) but we can't seem to get it
connected to the livebox.
The laptop "sees" the livebox signal (ssid)but when we put in the long code
it won't accept it.
Anything else we should be looking at. Have Googled and seems others have
had the same problems and there is talk of "pairing"
Anyone had a similar problem?

Edit the security settings (via the browser) to select EITHER WPA OR
WEP, but NOT both.
Set the laptop settings to match this.
The code (which you type into the PC) is case sensitive (use
capitals).
That worked for me.

Peter.

Old January 19th 08, 08:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"Abo" wrote in message
SJP wrote:
Friend has broadband via Orange and a livebox. She has used a desktop
connected via ethernet for months with no problems.
She has just bought a wireless laptop (HP) but we can't seem to get it
connected to the livebox.
The laptop "sees" the livebox signal (ssid)but when we put in the long
code it won't accept it.
Anything else we should be looking at. Have Googled and seems others have
had the same problems and there is talk of "pairing"
Anyone had a similar problem?

Vista?

Yes sorry should have mentioned its Vista

Old January 22nd 08, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Zerafa

Hi,

Do not ever use WEP. It is horribly insecure and should never be used.

Select WPA or WPA2 with as long a random password as the router will accept.

http://www.grc.com/pass will generate a unique 63 character random password
for you.

From what I can remember the Livebox is hopeless at WPA/WPA and will not
accept long passwords so it's best replaced with a better router.

Kind Regards

Simon