Registering two ATAs at the same time

Old January 19th 08, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
A.N. Onymous Esq

Default Registering two ATAs at the same time

I use VoipDiscount for all my outgoing calls and up till now have used
VoipTalk for my incoming calls. The settings in my Linksys ATA are such that
it registers with VoipTalk but not with VoipDiscount.

VoipDiscount have just started providing incoming numbers but obviously if I
want to use it I will have to change the settings so that my ATA registers
with VoipDiscount (I could then dispense with VoipTalk)

I have a notebook computer that has the VoipDiscount soft phone on for when
I am out and about.

Could both the ATA and the notebook be registered at the same time with
VoipDiscount or is only one at once allowed. If both can register which one
(or would both) ring?

TIA

Old January 19th 08, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"A.N. Onymous Esq" [email protected] wrote in message

: : I use VoipDiscount for all my outgoing calls and up
: : till now have used VoipTalk for my incoming calls. The
: : settings in my Linksys ATA are such that it registers
: : with VoipTalk but not with VoipDiscount.
: :
: : VoipDiscount have just started providing incoming
: : numbers but obviously if I want to use it I will have
: : to change the settings so that my ATA registers with
: : VoipDiscount (I could then dispense with VoipTalk)
: :
: : I have a notebook computer that has the VoipDiscount
: : soft phone on for when I am out and about.
: :
: : Could both the ATA and the notebook be registered at
: : the same time with VoipDiscount or is only one at once
: : allowed. If both can register which one (or would both)
: : ring?
: :
: : TIA

Both should ring, whichever one answers first gets the call.

Ivor

Old January 19th 08, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Christian

Could both the ATA and the notebook be registered at
the same time with VoipDiscount or is only one at once
allowed. If both can register which one (or would both)
ring?

Both should ring, whichever one answers first gets the call.

No, not with Betamax-providers (like VoipDiscount). Only one client is
allowed at the same time. Clients (softclient or ATA) periodically
"register" theirselves. The one who sent the last REGISTER is the one that
will be logged in (and will get any incoming calls).

When using the VoipDiscount softclient, you even will get a notification
that another client is logged in, and it will ask you if you want to
re-login, before re-registering.

Christian

Old January 19th 08, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Christian explained on 19/01/2008 :
Could both the ATA and the notebook be registered at
the same time with VoipDiscount or is only one at once
allowed. If both can register which one (or would both)
ring?

Both should ring, whichever one answers first gets the call.

No, not with Betamax-providers (like VoipDiscount). Only one client is
allowed at the same time. Clients (softclient or ATA) periodically "register"
theirselves. The one who sent the last REGISTER is the one that will be
logged in (and will get any incoming calls).

When using the VoipDiscount softclient, you even will get a notification that
another client is logged in, and it will ask you if you want to re-login,
before re-registering.

However, although the above is correct, it is possible to make
/outgoing/ calls on any number of ATAs, without registering.

Old January 19th 08, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
A.N. Onymous Esq

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Christian explained on 19/01/2008 :
Could both the ATA and the notebook be registered at
the same time with VoipDiscount or is only one at once
allowed. If both can register which one (or would both)
ring?

Both should ring, whichever one answers first gets the call.

No, not with Betamax-providers (like VoipDiscount). Only one client is
allowed at the same time. Clients (softclient or ATA) periodically
"register" theirselves. The one who sent the last REGISTER is the one
that will be logged in (and will get any incoming calls).

When using the VoipDiscount softclient, you even will get a notification
that another client is logged in, and it will ask you if you want to
re-login, before re-registering.

However, although the above is correct, it is possible to make /outgoing/
calls on any number of ATAs, without registering.

Ah - Ok I will leave things as they are !

Old January 19th 08, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

A.N. Onymous Esq wrote:
I use VoipDiscount for all my outgoing calls and up till now have used
VoipTalk for my incoming calls. The settings in my Linksys ATA are
such that it registers with VoipTalk but not with VoipDiscount.

VoipDiscount have just started providing incoming numbers but
obviously if I want to use it I will have to change the settings so
that my ATA registers with VoipDiscount (I could then dispense with
VoipTalk)
I have a notebook computer that has the VoipDiscount soft phone on
for when I am out and about.

Could both the ATA and the notebook be registered at the same time
with VoipDiscount or is only one at once allowed. If both can
register which one (or would both) ring?

TIA

You could have only VoIPDiscount registered on your ATA, and go into
VoIPTalk settings on the website and select route to an external provider.
Then select your VoIPDiscount username and sip.voipdiscount.com in the
required fields. So when someone calls your VoIP Talk number it routes to
VoIPDiscount at no charge and rings your VoIPDiscount line. You could also
have a number from VoIPDiscount, so calling either number would ring the
VoIPDiscount service. The UK number from VoIPDiscount will be an 056 VoIP
Number.

--
http://www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk/pcpro
http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/dyna/r...rchives_en.cfm