very slow download speed

Old January 19th 08, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

Default very slow download speed

I am on an "up to 8meg BB service and have been getting around 4-5Meg. In
the past 3-4 days my download speeds have dropped to almost nil especially
in the evenings. However, my upload speeds are still relatively high. A
download test just done gives a speed of 71kbps with an upload speed of
378kbps. So could it be hardware, ie PC, wired router or phone connection,
or due to ISP throttling?
regards.

Throw out the cat to reply.

Old January 19th 08, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Tigger wrote:

I am on an "up to 8meg BB service and have been getting around 4-5Meg. In
the past 3-4 days my download speeds have dropped to almost nil especially
in the evenings. However, my upload speeds are still relatively high. A
download test just done gives a speed of 71kbps with an upload speed of
378kbps.

Whose test ?

So could it be hardware, ie PC, wired router or phone connection,
or due to ISP throttling?

Who's the ISP ?

Graham

Old January 19th 08, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Tigger wrote:

I am on an "up to 8meg BB service and have been getting around 4-5Meg.
In
the past 3-4 days my download speeds have dropped to almost nil
especially
in the evenings. However, my upload speeds are still relatively high. A
download test just done gives a speed of 71kbps with an upload speed of
378kbps.

Whose test ?

So could it be hardware, ie PC, wired router or phone connection,
or due to ISP throttling?

Who's the ISP ?

Graham

1. bbmax and tstools

2. eclipse

Old January 19th 08, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:30:32 +0000, Tigger wrote:

However, my upload speeds are still relatively high. A download test ?
just done gives a speed of 71kbps with an upload speed of 378kbps.

What's your sync speed? You can find this on the status page of your
router.

So could it be hardware, ie PC, wired router or phone connection, or
due to ISP throttling?

Yes, it could be. Might be worth running a BT speed test to eliminate
your ISP.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:48:56 up 14 days, 13:13, 2 users, load average: 1.04, 1.05, 1.02
Old January 20th 08, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

alexd wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:30:32 +0000, Tigger wrote:

However, my upload speeds are still relatively high. A download test
? just done gives a speed of 71kbps with an upload speed of 378kbps.

What's your sync speed? You can find this on the status page of your
router.

So could it be hardware, ie PC, wired router or phone connection, or
due to ISP throttling?

Yes, it could be. Might be worth running a BT speed test to eliminate
your ISP.

eclipse will slow your download if you have reached your cap (2gig/month
etc)

Old January 21st 08, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

"tony h" wrote in message
alexd wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:30:32 +0000, Tigger wrote:

However, my upload speeds are still relatively high. A download test
? just done gives a speed of 71kbps with an upload speed of 378kbps.

What's your sync speed? You can find this on the status page of your
router.

So could it be hardware, ie PC, wired router or phone connection, or
due to ISP throttling?

Yes, it could be. Might be worth running a BT speed test to eliminate
your ISP.

eclipse will slow your download if you have reached your cap (2gig/month
etc)

appreciate that tony but my deal is for 'unlimited' download amounts off
peak and 40GB peak hours (1800-2400). Most of my downloads are during the
off peak period.

As an extra bit of info, this morning at around 0700 i was getting 3-4 meg
and now its down below 1meg. this is the graph url from TStools -

http://tstools.co.uk/graph_speeds.ph...02ef07 999334

I tried the BT tester early this morning and I only got as far as 'test
starting' and then nothing. All it said was that throughput was 7150. the
router, netgear 834gt, shows a downstream connection speed of 8128 (is this
the same as the synch speed as i cannot see any other speeds?) which it
always has done.

Old January 21st 08, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:13:48 +0000, Tigger wrote:

appreciate that tony but my deal is for 'unlimited' download amounts off
peak and 40GB peak hours (1800-2400). Most of my downloads are during
the off peak period.

You may think you're in the right, but it would be worth checking with
your ISP what they think you've downloaded.

As an extra bit of info, this morning at around 0700 i was getting 3-4
meg and now its down below 1meg. this is the graph url from TStools -

http://tstools.co.uk/graph_speeds.php?

result=2732826cd4f4031fe34102ef07999334

"Insufficient data", FWIW.

I tried the BT tester early this morning and I only got as far as 'test
starting' and then nothing. All it said was that throughput was 7150.

Bear in mind the BT tester is quite busy and it can take several
connection attempts to get through. Rather convenient for shoddy ISPs who
like to blame BT for your slow connection.

the router, netgear 834gt, shows a downstream connection speed of 8128
(is this the same as the synch speed as i cannot see any other speeds?)
which it always has done.

The good news is, if the line's syncing at 8128k then there's no problems
with your line. Also, f you migrate to LLU you may get more than 8M.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
14:35:24 up 16 days, 5:00, 2 users, load average: 1.43, 1.22, 1.20