Wierd connection problem, any ideas?

Old January 20th 08, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Wierd connection problem, any ideas?

Hi,

I have been using an ADSL wireless modem router for a year or more, no
trouble. On Friday it just stopped working. ADSL light was on,
Internet light was not.

I switched to an old USB modem, worked fine. But I need wireless.

I checked the setting on the router, correct password etc. I tried
another router I had kicking around, same symptoms. Lots of switching
on and off, double checking settings etc. USB midem still worked fine.

I then borrowed a third router, a brand new one, Belkin N wireless -
exactly the same symptoms.

On Saturday the new router suddenly started working. For several
hours. Then it stopped with exactly the same symptoms. USB modem still
works.

I can only think either an ADSL problem and somehow the ancient USB
modem is better than the brand new router at handling a less than
perfect connection. But the ADSL light is on rock solid in all cases.

Or, is there any way the ISP could be handing the routers different to
the modem?

Any ideas?

Dom
Old January 20th 08, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I can only think either an ADSL problem and somehow the ancient USB
modem is better than the brand new router at handling a less than
perfect connection. But the ADSL light is on rock solid in all cases.

What stats, particularly on the ISP ADSL side, do the modem/routers
report?
As it's wireless I'd suspect DHCP and personally I'd try static addressing,
as it is easy to setup, and revert.
Sure there is no local interference, and that it is within range, with
a good signal, and no one nearby has set up on the same channel?
The USB non-wireless modem probably works, because it is non-
wireless, and seems to be proving that it is not an ADSL/ISP
problem.
Try running the wireless side unsecured just as an experiment.
Old January 21st 08, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Jan 20, 8:33*pm, wrote:
I can only think either anADSLproblem and somehow the ancient USB
modem is better than the brand newrouterat handling a less than
perfect connection. But theADSLlight is on rock solid in all cases.

What stats, particularly on the ISPADSLside, do the modem/routers
report?
As it's wireless I'd suspect DHCP and personally I'd try static addressing,
as it is easy to setup, and revert.
Sure there is no local interference, and that it is within range, with
a good signal, and no one nearby has set up on the same channel?
The USB non-wireless modem probably works, because it is non-
wireless, and seems to be proving that it is not anADSL/ISP
problem.
Try running the wireless side unsecured just as an experiment.

Sorry, should have been clearer, my PC is wired to the router, it
isn't a wifi problem. The other PC in the house (which is wireless)
can see the local network, neither PC can see the internet.

Will check the stats.
Old January 21st 08, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

wrote:
[...]

It has been known in the past for cards/racks in the exchange DSLAM
start to refuse connection to equipment with certain chipsets, giving
the exact diagnostics which yours is displaying BUT it's a last resort
answer as there are many other things it could be before you get to
that...

Old January 21st 08, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herman

wrote in message
[...]

I had a similar issue when resetting a Belkin router on ADSL with One.Tel.
It turned out it was the user authentication (user name and password). I
thought the PPPoA protocol meant that this was superfluous, but evidently
not. They must have changed authentication since I was last on ADSL. The
first outage you mention could have been some sort of real outage, but could
you have inadvertantly changed (or deleted) some of the user authentication
on the modem when you were checking it? With some interfaces, unless you
re-enter the password when applying changes, it thinks you want to delete
the password!

If you are getting ADSL but not internet, I would check this. Clearly not a
physical connection problem to the exchange if ADSL is synching OK and
another modem works as well. You could also check other configuration on
the not working modem and compare the same configuration with the working
modem, just in case.

You wouldn't be the first person (or the last) to have inadvertently changed
settings when you were double-checking them.

Just in case this is of any help.