MPF Area

Old January 21st 08, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Obsidian Order

Default MPF Area

Can anyone tell me what is meant by the term "MPF area" ?

TIA.

Old January 21st 08, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:00:31 +0000, Obsidian Order wrote:

Can anyone tell me what is meant by the term "MPF area" ?

If MPF is "Metallic Path Facility", then "last mile", I'd guess. Bit of
an awkward way of referring to it, however.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
14:28:03 up 16 days, 4:53, 2 users, load average: 1.43, 1.32, 1.24
Old January 21st 08, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Obsidian Order" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what is meant by the term "MPF area" ?

TIA.

Multi purpose feeder area of a printer?
Pertaining to Mars Pathfinder imagery etc?
Perhaps you could give us some context?

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old January 21st 08, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Obsidian Order

"Graham." wrote in message

"Obsidian Order" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what is meant by the term "MPF area" ?

TIA.

Multi purpose feeder area of a printer?
Pertaining to Mars Pathfinder imagery etc?
Perhaps you could give us some context?

As in Broadband. Hence this NG, But prehaps I should make myself more
clearer. Apparantly (According to a certain LLU operator, I am in a "MPF
Area" and therefore if I wish to switch providers "I don't need a MAC code".

Old January 21st 08, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zomaar

"Obsidian Order" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what is meant by the term "MPF area" ?

TIA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_Path_Facilities

HTH, Ali

Old January 22nd 08, 06:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news outlook

It means your local exchange has an LLU operator offering MPF, as opposed to
the alternative, SMPF.

With MPF, the LLUO has unbundled the entire line, both the broadband and the
narrowband voice service. (With SMPF, only the broadband is unbundled,
with BT usually supplying the PSTN via WLR.)

Old January 22nd 08, 06:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news outlook

Sorry, forgot to add that you're right, you don't need a MAC code with MPF.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/broadb...questions.html

As others on this NG have noted, what makes it even more confusing is that
some MPF LLUOs use BT wholesaled broadband to fill out gaps in their network
coverage - and that *does* need a MAC code as it's SMPF, not MPF.