Is this retraining?

Old January 22nd 08, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor Wright

Default Is this retraining?

My router reported a solid downstream speed of about 2200. After a
powercut, it now reports 1728.

I don't know much about all this. Is this what's called "retraining"?
Why has it happened? If I cut the power again, will the speed go back
up? Or might it go down even further?

Grateful for any advice.
--
Trevor Wright
Old January 22nd 08, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
naza

On 22 Jan, 22:27, Trevor Wright wrote:
My router reported a solid downstream speed of about 2200. After a
powercut, it now reports 1728.

I don't know much about all this. Is this what's called "retraining"?
Why has it happened? If I cut the power again, will the speed go back
up? Or might it go down even further?

Grateful for any advice.
--
Trevor Wright

Well it depends. Normally at night I see a lower speed if I restart my
router but if it has been connected say around 3pm it will hold that
speed so this is probally just change in the line conditions in which
case the speed will go up, just do a restart in the morning or before
it turns dark and it should get a better speed.
Restarting if again and again will only make the speed worse as the
modem at the exchange will think that there is a problem with you line
and slow down the connection so that it does not go off. So just the
once tommorow should be enough to get the speed up.

Old January 23rd 08, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor Wright

In message , Eeyore
writes

Trevor Wright wrote:

My router reported a solid downstream speed of about 2200. After a
powercut, it now reports 1728.

I don't know much about all this. Is this what's called "retraining"?
Why has it happened? If I cut the power again, will the speed go back
up? Or might it go down even further?

Grateful for any advice.

Give it time.

Graham

It's been several days....
--
Trevor Wright
Old January 23rd 08, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor Wright

In message
,
naza writes
. So just the
once tommorow should be enough to get the speed up.

It did!

Many thanks.

--
Trevor Wright
Old January 24th 08, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

naza wrote:
[...]

It's not a change in the line conditions but a change in the ambient
RF level which affects the varying synch levels. Get a AM radio & try
tuning around the dial during the day & then at night & hear the
difference. Add to that all your neighbours who have got 12volt
halogen lights with dimmer switches (good source of RF there) &/or
anything else which is powered by electricity & turned on in the
evening. There have even been cases where the street lights have
blocked the DSL signal going to a whole street.