Tiscali connection suddenly keeps dropping

Old January 22nd 08, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Default Tiscali connection suddenly keeps dropping

Hi, I've been with these guys for a while with no problems.

I got a letter from them before Christmas saying I was being upgraded
from 2meg to 8 meg for free.

Ever since then my connection has been a nightmare. Constant drop outs,
massive reconnection times (occasionally within minutes, but most often
it's hours or the next day).

They claim the work is over but the drop outs are just as bad.

I have unplugged my house phone from the splitter (obviously I can't do
this for long) and plugged the splitter into the socket inside my main
phone box and this appears to help (still got drop outs but can
reconnect in minutes rather than giving up).

Can anyone help please? Have tried 3 splitters, 2 different routers, mac
and a PC and every combination gives the same problem. Oh and their help
desk says it's a browser problem...

Would really appreciate any help - I'm spending extra time at work as I
can't log in and check everything's ok from home.

Cheers,

Tom
Old January 23rd 08, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Tom wrote:

Would really appreciate any help - I'm spending extra time at work as I
can't log in and check everything's ok from home.

Tom,

Unplug *everything* from the phone line. Then plug your kit *directly*
into the master socket via a filter, don't use *any* extension cabling.
Check to see if the problem still exists and if the /ADSL/, /DSL/ or
/sync/ light on your router/modem flashes or goes out when you're
disconnected. If the situation is the same then swap the filter your
using to rule that out too.

If things still remain the same then you need to ask Tiscali to raise a
fault on your behalf. Failing that, I guess you could always ask them to
move you back to a fixed rate service however I'm not sure what their
policy on this would be.

Rgds,

--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old January 24th 08, 02:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 23:43:37 +0000, Tom wrote:

[...]

Pick up the phone , ring their "customer support" and demand a MAC.
Then find yourself a decent ISP and stop wasting your time. If they
insist you are in a new 12 month "contract" due to the free upgrade
(presumably not requested by you) then tell them you are contacting
OFCOM.

Old January 24th 08, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 23 Jan, 21:15, PlusNet Support Team wrote:
Tom wrote:
Would really appreciate any help - I'm spending extra time at work as I
can't log in and check everything's ok from home.

Tom,

Unplug *everything* from the phone line. Then plug your kit *directly*
into the master socket via a filter, don't use *any* extension cabling.
Check to see if the problem still exists and if the /ADSL/, /DSL/ or
/sync/ light on your router/modem flashes or goes out when you're
disconnected. If the situation is the same then swap the filter your
using to rule that out too.

If things still remain the same then you need to ask Tiscali to raise a
fault on your behalf. Failing that, I guess you could always ask them to
move you back to a fixed rate service however I'm not sure what their
policy on this would be.

Rgds,

--
|Bob Pullen * * * * * * * * * Broadband Solutions for
|Support * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Home & Business @
|PlusNet plc. * * * * * * * * * * * * * *www.plus.net
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------

Tried to reply to this 3 times last night (in those moments I could
get onto the internet) but even though they sent ok my reply doesn't
seem to be here.... (this is the OP by the way)

- I've tried 3 filters (the last one bought on Monday) plugged
straight into the master socket. I've removed the phone and even
turned all electical equipment nearby off. Things *seemed* better but
then they went cr*p again within the hour.

- None of the lights on the routers go off when I'm disconnected but
an "Ask" light flashes. The router (when I connect to it) reports it's
"Connecting" then generates PPPoA cannot connect and PPPoA server
cannot allocate IP address errors.

- I spoke to someone called Sampson on their "technical support" line
who refused (yes, really) to raise an error as his remote line tests
said everything was fine. This was in one of those rare moments I can
connect. When I said I was going to Ofcom he said his manager would
call back within 4 hours - this was 11am Sunday and I'm still waiting
for the call.

The irony is - not only did I not want the upgrade to 8 meg, but when
I can connect my connection is no faster than it was before...

When I applied for a line 3 months ago (I'd just moved house) I'm sure
I was told my line couldn't handle any more than 2 meg.

Cheers,

Tom
Old January 24th 08, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Tom wrote:
Would really appreciate any help - I'm spending extra time at work as I
can't log in and check everything's ok from home.

Tom,

Unplug *everything* from the phone line. Then plug your kit *directly*
into the master socket via a filter, don't use *any* extension cabling.
Check to see if the problem still exists and if the /ADSL/, /DSL/ or
/sync/ light on your router/modem flashes or goes out when you're
disconnected. If the situation is the same then swap the filter your
using to rule that out too.

If things still remain the same then you need to ask Tiscali to raise a
fault on your behalf. Failing that, I guess you could always ask them to
move you back to a fixed rate service however I'm not sure what their
policy on this would be.

Rgds,

--
|Bob Pullen * * * * * * * * * Broadband Solutions for
|Support * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Home & Business @
|PlusNet plc. * * * * * * * * * * * * * *www..plus.net
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------

Tried to reply to this 3 times last night (in those moments I could
get onto the internet) but even though they sent ok my reply doesn't
seem to be here.... (this is the OP by the way)

- I've tried 3 filters (the last one bought on Monday) plugged
straight into the master socket. I've removed the phone and even
turned all electical equipment nearby off. Things *seemed* better but
then they went cr*p again within the hour.

- None of the lights on the routers go off when I'm disconnected but
an "Ask" light flashes. The router (when I connect to it) reports it's
"Connecting" then generates PPPoA cannot connect and PPPoA server
cannot allocate IP address errors.

- I spoke to someone called Sampson on their "technical support" line
who refused (yes, really) to raise an error as his remote line tests
said everything was fine. This was in one of those rare moments I can
connect. When I said I was going to Ofcom he said his manager would
call back within 4 hours - this was 11am Sunday and I'm still waiting
for the call.

The irony is - not only did I not want the upgrade to 8 meg, but when
I can connect my connection is no faster than it was before...

When I applied for a line 3 months ago (I'd just moved house) I'm sure
I was told my line couldn't handle any more than 2 meg.

Cheers,

Tom- Hide quoted text -

I should add - I was with them for 2 years @ my previous place (a
different flat in the same building) and didn't have a problem. And
I'm using the same mac / pc / browsers / filters / wires / routers (I
have 2, an old Linksys and a new Netgear I bought about a year ago)
that I used there.

On moving to the new place I had no issues at all (at 2 meg) for about
6 or 8 weeks until the work Tiscali did to "improve" my line started.
Old January 24th 08, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nemo2

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:15:32 +0000, PlusNet Support Team
wrote:

Tom wrote:

Would really appreciate any help - I'm spending extra time at work as I
can't log in and check everything's ok from home.

Tom,

Unplug *everything* from the phone line. Then plug your kit *directly*
into the master socket via a filter, don't use *any* extension cabling.
Check to see if the problem still exists and if the /ADSL/, /DSL/ or
/sync/ light on your router/modem flashes or goes out when you're
disconnected. If the situation is the same then swap the filter your
using to rule that out too.

If things still remain the same then you need to ask Tiscali to raise a
fault on your behalf. Failing that, I guess you could always ask them to
move you back to a fixed rate service however I'm not sure what their
policy on this would be.

Rgds,

Bob,

Nice to see that you can respond to Tiscali users, shame that you
cannot respond to Plusnet users on the Plusnet news groups. Probably
why I've been waiting 6 weeks for Plusnet to fix a simple problem.

regards

nemo2
Old January 25th 08, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

nemo2 wrote:

Nice to see that you can respond to Tiscali users, shame that you
cannot respond to Plusnet users on the Plusnet news groups. Probably
why I've been waiting 6 weeks for Plusnet to fix a simple problem.

Hi,

As per my post to another thread in this group, I'm in
p.s.customer-support almost daily and I don't think I've ever seen you
there?

We do have many other groups but most of those are pretty dormant so I
don't tend to check them all that frequently.

What group did you post in?

Rgds,

Old January 25th 08, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 24 Jan, 19:08, Geoff Lane wrote:
wrote:
Tried to reply to this 3 times last night (in those moments I could
get onto the internet) but even though they sent ok my reply doesn't
seem to be here.... (this is the OP by the way)

Strangely my daughter had a similar problem over a year ago, I checked
absolutely everything (Routers, filters, BT sockets, phone wiring),
changed ISP in the end as getting no joy.

Turned out to be the cable going from my router to the phone line,
changed that and all now fine. Perhaps, I don't know, my daughter's
router fell off the sideboard and tugged the cable as it fell.

Whatever, just mentioned it in case, coincidentally, it is not the ISP
at fault.

Geoff Lane

Great, cheers Geoff, I'll try this tonight. I suspect this isn't the
issue as I definitely used seperate cables for each router, but I'll
buy a new one just to be sure.

Still no word from Tiscali, despite a letter to their head of customer
service.... I think I'm best not waiting for a reply and going
straight to Ofcom / OFT / Watchdog etc.