tesco phone

Old January 23rd 08, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ME&YOU

Default tesco phone

I have an old Tesco internet phone from when they first came out. I only
used it once or twice. Can I use it with other voip providers does anyone
know or will it only work with Tesco accounts?

Old January 23rd 08, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
ME&YOU wrote:
I have an old Tesco internet phone from when they first came out. I only
used it once or twice. Can I use it with other voip providers does anyone
know or will it only work with Tesco accounts?

If this is the USB device, then it'll work with anything - you just need
a different softphone (eg. x-lite, zoiper, idefisk) and an account with
a VoIP provider. The down-side is that the buttons on the phone may
not work.

I got a couple then threw the CDs away as it was a cheap way to get a
USB "phone" at the time...

If it's the headset, then it's just a headset and will work in exactly
the same way with a softphone of your choice, and SIP provider.

Gordon
Old January 24th 08, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:58:37 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
wrote:

In article ,
ME&YOU wrote:
I have an old Tesco internet phone from when they first came out. I only
used it once or twice. Can I use it with other voip providers does anyone
know or will it only work with Tesco accounts?

If this is the USB device, then it'll work with anything - you just need
a different softphone (eg. x-lite, zoiper, idefisk) and an account with
a VoIP provider. The down-side is that the buttons on the phone may
not work.

I got a couple then threw the CDs away as it was a cheap way to get a
USB "phone" at the time...

If it's the headset, then it's just a headset and will work in exactly
the same way with a softphone of your choice, and SIP provider.

Gordon

Yes, x-lite is easy to set up and you can use a number of providers.
If you are wanting to make payable calls check out voip.co.uk,
voipfone, voiptalk or one of the betamax sites such as voipcheap.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old January 28th 08, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Costas Kariolis

If you are not using your Tesco Phone but want to make cheap voip phone
calls you could switch to Vonage. All you need is a broadband connection
and a touch-tone phone. We offer a great service at excellent prices;
for more details visit 'Cheap Calls using VoIP with Vonage UK -
Broadband Phone Provider' (http://www.vonage.co.uk).

View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=37420
http://www.wirelessforums.org

Old January 29th 08, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Costas Kariolis"
wrote in
message

: : If you are not using your Tesco Phone but want to make
: : cheap voip phone calls you could switch to Vonage. All
: : you need is a broadband connection and a touch-tone
: : phone. We offer a great service at excellent prices;
: : for more details visit 'Cheap Calls using VoIP with
: : Vonage UK - Broadband Phone Provider'
: : (http://www.vonage.co.uk).

No thanks. No interconnectivity with other VoIP providers, locked ATA's,
high call charges... I could go on.....

Ivor

Old January 29th 08, 08:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Costas Kariolis"
wrote in
message

: : If you are not using your Tesco Phone but want to make
: : cheap voip phone calls you could switch to Vonage. All
: : you need is a broadband connection and a touch-tone
: : phone. We offer a great service at excellent prices;
: : for more details visit 'Cheap Calls using VoIP with
: : Vonage UK - Broadband Phone Provider'
: : (http://www.vonage.co.uk).

No thanks. No interconnectivity with other VoIP providers, locked ATA's,
high call charges... I could go on.....

Ivor

Agreed with all that, apart from the high call charges - they are high in
VoIP terms but not when compared against the traditional POTS carriers. But
also works out of the box, is very suitable for a non-techie and better
features than POTS.

Depends on what you need. I found them useful as an introduction to what
VoIP could actually do before switching to providers that need a bit more
technical savvy (but are cheaper and offer more features).

Old January 30th 08, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

Herman wrote:
Agreed with all that, apart from the high call charges - they are high in
VoIP terms but not when compared against the traditional POTS carriers.

I've yet to see a VoIP provider that can match the Finarea companies
for POTS call charges.

Chris
Old January 30th 08, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Chris Davies" wrote in message

: : Herman wrote:
: : : Agreed with all that, apart from the high call
: : : charges - they are high in VoIP terms but not when
: : : compared against the traditional POTS carriers.
: :
: : I've yet to see a VoIP provider that can match the
: : Finarea companies for POTS call charges.
: :
: : Chris

Perhaps; it all depends on the number of POTS calls you make, really. For
the handful a month that I make (maybe 10 minutes total) the 1.19p/min
from Sipgate is fine by me, sometimes I use Gradwell which is broadly
similar. I don't really make enough calls to worry about it too much..!

Ivor