BT Router - Remote Access

Old January 24th 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default BT Router - Remote Access

Some work colleagues have a BT Business broadband connection using a
2wire router.

I would like to tweak some settings, probably after asking questions of
this group. I would like to be able to access the router from home so
that I can try or check any advice given.

I've gone through the various configuration pages and cannot find any
settings to allow remote access.

Does anyone know if this facility is available on the BT routers.

Geoff Lane
Followup-To:uk.telecom.broadband
Old January 24th 08, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 24 Jan, 18:30, Geoff Lane wrote:
Some work colleagues have a BT Business broadband connection using a
2wire router.

I would like to tweak some settings, probably after asking questions of
this group. I would like to be able to access the router from home so
that I can try or check any advice given.

I've gone through the various configuration pages and cannot find any
settings to allow remote access.

Does anyone know if this facility is available on the BT routers.

Hi Geoff

What settings were you looking to tweak? You won't be able to access
the router itself from the web side so you don't need to search any
further..... if you're really desperate to get into it remotely then
the normal thing to do on these is to setup port forwarding to allow a
remote desktop connection to a machine on the LAN and access the
router from that.

Kind Regards

Willie MacLeod
Old January 25th 08, 01:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

Geoff Lane wrote:
Some work colleagues have a BT Business broadband connection using a
2wire router.

I would like to tweak some settings, probably after asking questions of
this group. I would like to be able to access the router from home so
that I can try or check any advice given.

I've gone through the various configuration pages and cannot find any
settings to allow remote access.

Does anyone know if this facility is available on the BT routers.

Geoff Lane
Followup-To:uk.telecom.broadband

Nope - not poss as far as I can find out - only manageable via the LAN
side. My fix for sites with them is to allow remote access to an XP Pro
machine on the LAN, take it over and browse to the router.

L3K
Old January 25th 08, 02:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kris

Geoff Lane writes:
Some work colleagues have a BT Business broadband connection using a
2wire router.

I would like to tweak some settings, probably after asking questions of
this group. I would like to be able to access the router from home so
that I can try or check any advice given.

I've gone through the various configuration pages and cannot find any
settings to allow remote access.

The Business Hub does (despite telling it not to) always listen on a
port for access by 2Wire and ISPs, but it is not accessible by end users
- it uses a password that only 2Wire and the ISP knows. Some versions of
the firmware do allow web remote access, but it can be
customised/disabled by the ISP.

A long way round...

Tell the router to forward a port to an always-on PC. Use the PC's
firewall to limit access. Use a port forwarding app like winSSLWrap
(http://oifan.xf.cz/WinSSLWrap/index.html) to forward the requests to
the router's LAN IP.

It would also be an experiment to try telling the router to forward a
port to 192.168.1.254 and seeing if you get its own web config page... I
have never tried that.
Old January 25th 08, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Linker3000" wrote in message
Geoff Lane wrote:
Some work colleagues have a BT Business broadband connection using a
2wire router.

I would like to tweak some settings, probably after asking questions of
this group. I would like to be able to access the router from home so
that I can try or check any advice given.

I've gone through the various configuration pages and cannot find any
settings to allow remote access.

Does anyone know if this facility is available on the BT routers.

Geoff Lane
Followup-To:uk.telecom.broadband

Nope - not poss as far as I can find out - only manageable via the LAN
side. My fix for sites with them is to allow remote access to an XP Pro
machine on the LAN, take it over and browse to the router.

Why not change the router for a model that does allow remote management?
Anything from an Edimax AR-7084A upwards ....

--
Graham J

Old January 25th 08, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LR

Geoff Lane wrote:
Some work colleagues have a BT Business broadband connection using a
2wire router.

I would like to tweak some settings, probably after asking questions of
this group. I would like to be able to access the router from home so
that I can try or check any advice given.

I've gone through the various configuration pages and cannot find any
settings to allow remote access.

Does anyone know if this facility is available on the BT routers.

Geoff Lane
Followup-To:uk.telecom.broadband

According to this only 2Wire and BT can use the remote facility on the
2700HGV.
http://btb.lithium.com/btb/board/message?board.id=viop&message.id=13&query.id=309#M 13

The remote management facility was removed from the Home Hub because of
a number of vulnerabilities. 6.2.26E firmware.
Old January 25th 08, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 25/01/2008 02:54, Kris wrote:

The Business Hub does (despite telling it not to) always listen on a
port for access by 2Wire and ISPs

That alone is good enough reason to chuck it out.

Old January 26th 08, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Wade

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Some work colleagues have a BT Business broadband connection using a 2wire
router.

I would like to tweak some settings, probably after asking questions of
this group. I would like to be able to access the router from home so that
I can try or check any advice given.

I've gone through the various configuration pages and cannot find any
settings to allow remote access.

Does anyone know if this facility is available on the BT routers.

Geoff Lane
Followup-To:uk.telecom.broadband

Geoff,
Where I work we use "logmein.com" to allow us to do this. You can then
remote to the users PC and browse to the router from that.
Dave

Old January 26th 08, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Graham J wrote:

Why not change the router for a model that does allow remote management?
Anything from an Edimax AR-7084A upwards ....

Not my device and in general I think it is better not to allow external
access; it was just to assist some configuration investigation that I
wanted it.

Geoff Lane