Bluetooth+Voip

Old January 24th 08, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip, alt.cellular.bluetooth
ariopp

Default Bluetooth+Voip

Hi,
I'm trying to use voip over bluetooth to my laptop.
I've been through 2 Bluetooth EDR 2.0 adapters (both use Bluesoleil
software) + 2 bluetooth headsets (the Motorola H700 and Samsung
WEP200)
For some reason, the quality on both is VERY bad. People have a hard
time hearing me and I have a hard time hearing them, compared to using
my $3 wired headset.
Could you advise what I'm doing wrong, and maybe, if needed, what
alternative I could buy (for under $50) that would enable me to use my
VOIP software without wires...

Thanks in advance,
Ari Oppenheimer
Old January 24th 08, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,alt.cellular.bluetooth
B?a?ej

For some reason, the quality on both is VERY bad. People have a hard
time hearing me and I have a hard time hearing them, compared to using
my $3 wired headset.

From my own experience it would be very hard to improve voice quality. I
have tried the same thing as you but without any spectacular results.

Old January 24th 08, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip, alt.cellular.bluetooth
ariopp

On Jan 24, 9:42*pm, "B?a?ej" wrote:
For some reason, the quality on both is VERY bad. People have a hard
time hearing me and I have a hard time hearing them, compared to using
my $3 wired headset.

From my own experience it would be very hard to improve voice quality. I
have tried the same thing as you but without any spectacular results.

My friend uses an ST Labs USB-BT-5 usb dongle with a Motorola H500 and
Motorola HS820 headset, and he gets spectacular quality. Is it because
of the headsets that he uses, or is it b/c of his bluetooth dongle?
My bluetooth dongle is a Kingfox Bluetooth 2.0 EDR dongle.
Does the dongle make a big difference to quality?
Also, his bluetooth is manged by the built-in windows bluetooth
manager, whereas my bluetooth has to use the "Bluesoleil"software.
Could that also be part of the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old January 24th 08, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,alt.cellular.bluetooth
Simon Templar

ariopp wrote:
My friend uses an ST Labs USB-BT-5 usb dongle with a Motorola H500 and
Motorola HS820 headset, and he gets spectacular quality. Is it because
of the headsets that he uses, or is it b/c of his bluetooth dongle?
My bluetooth dongle is a Kingfox Bluetooth 2.0 EDR dongle.
Does the dongle make a big difference to quality?
Also, his bluetooth is manged by the built-in windows bluetooth
manager, whereas my bluetooth has to use the "Bluesoleil"software.
Could that also be part of the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm not right up on the technicalities but maybe the codec's used by
Bluesoleil aren't up to scratch for your application.

--
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=157452
Old January 25th 08, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip, alt.cellular.bluetooth
ariopp

What does your VoIP sound like with a mic and headphones plugged directly
into the computer? *BT headsets don't make it stumble, at all.

How much up/down bandwidth does this laptop's internet connection actually
have? *Are you also connecting the laptop via BT to the net or
Wifi/direct??

With mic and headset plugged in directly, sound is perfect! People on
the other side say that they notice an instant improvement when the
headset+mic is in. Also, when using bluetooth, there is the occasional
crackling on my side. That is eliminated when using the headset+mic
plugged in directly.

Laptop is on a 10Mbit internet connection and usually all my
conversations have EXCELLENT quality when using a wired headset. I
connect to the net directly through wifi. I only get a voip quality
problem when bluetooth is on.

I mean, it is bearable, but my friend (with the STlabs dongle and
motorola H500 headset) has equal quality whether he uses bluetooth or
wired headset. Infact, I didn't even know he was talking over a
bluetooth connection until he told me.
For me, when ussing bluetooth, people hear instantly that there is bad
quality and ask that I should call back because the line is bad??!!!

So I need to know-what is wrong- my headset or my dongle? And what
recommendations do you have for under $50?

Again, all help is appreciated!

Old January 25th 08, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip, alt.cellular.bluetooth
ariopp

What does your VoIP sound like with a mic and headphones plugged directly
into the computer? *BT headsets don't make it stumble, at all.

How much up/down bandwidth does this laptop's internet connection actually
have? *Are you also connecting the laptop via BT to the net or
Wifi/direct??

Hi,
Voip sounds great with headset+mic plugged in directly. People notice
an instant improvement when I change from bluetooth to wired. Some
people even ask me to call them back because they can hardly hear me!?
Even on my side, I get the occasional "clicking" when using the
bluetooth.

My internet connection is 10Mbit, so that shouldn't be a prob. I
usually have EXCELLENT quality voip with a wired headset. I use wifi
for my net connection.

My friend (with the STlabs dongle and Motorola H500 headset) has equal
quality with wired headset and bluetooth. Infact, I didn't even know
that he was on bluetooth until he mentioned it to me. Additionally, I
asked him if he hears any "clicks"during a conversation and he said
no.

So my question is- Is the problem with my headset (WEP200) or my
bluetooth dongle (slim Kingfox EDR 2.0 dongle)?? What are your
recommendations for under $50 to get this to work with decent quality?

Again, thanks in advance for any help!
Old January 25th 08, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,alt.cellular.bluetooth
Brian A

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:36:07 -0800 (PST), ariopp
wrote:

[...]

I did have my bluetooth headset working very well with my XP operating
system until I updated the Nokia PC suite and it killed it dead. I've
never managed to get it working at all since then. There are normally
problems associated with the voice aspect of bluetooth with XP so if
you got it working you were lucky because it normally involves
changing the bluetooth stack - I used a Toshiba stack - perhaps your
software installation did it all for you.
So, in summary, you can get good quality and performance using a
bluetooth headset with a PC if you are lucky enough to get it working
at all. My headset, btw, is a Jabra BT200.
---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old January 25th 08, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,alt.cellular.bluetooth
Błażej

My guess is there is something making noise on 2400 Mhz scrambling the BT
link. Does this happen everywhere, or just at a certain location?

Maybe you use a WiFi card, most of them work on 2,4GHz carrier.