Do BT know which way is up WRT line speed?

Old January 25th 08, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

Default Do BT know which way is up WRT line speed?

When I first upgraded to ADSL Max I got the maximum speed possible.
Last summer it dropped to half and staggered up a bit and now sits at
a BRAS rate of either 5 or 5.5.

Samknows and the BT site say I ought to get 6, so near enough I
suppose.

I have a friend, they were on BT but were only getting 2 - BT said
that was the best they could expect. He recently switched to Tiscali
because of their phone offer. He now gets - 2, Tiscali say that is the
best he can expect.

We are on the SAME pole!
--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old January 25th 08, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:46:30 +0000, Dave Saville wrote:

We are on the SAME pole!

But not the same copper pair. For all you know the difference in your
line lengths could be measured in miles. However, it's probably worth
getting your neighbour to check his internal wiring.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:26:28 up 20 days, 11:51, 2 users, load average: 1.47, 1.76, 1.82
Old January 25th 08, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

On 25 Jan 2008 18:46:30 GMT, Dave Saville wrote:

When I first upgraded to ADSL Max I got the maximum speed possible.
Last summer it dropped to half and staggered up a bit and now sits at
a BRAS rate of either 5 or 5.5.

Samknows and the BT site say I ought to get 6, so near enough I
suppose.

I have a friend, they were on BT but were only getting 2 - BT said
that was the best they could expect. He recently switched to Tiscali
because of their phone offer. He now gets - 2, Tiscali say that is the
best he can expect.

We are on the SAME pole!

Hi Dave,

Could be poorer wires, exposed connection, poorer modem. It could also
be his internal wiring. He needs to disconnect everything and plug into
the BT test socket and then see what he gets.

Is the 2meg what the modem says his downlink is at or is it a speed
tester? You need the modems thoughts on it.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old January 25th 08, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Dave Saville wrote:
When I first upgraded to ADSL Max I got the maximum speed possible.

[...]

I have a friend, they were on BT but were only getting 2 - BT said
that was the best they could expect. He recently switched to Tiscali
because of their phone offer. He now gets - 2, Tiscali say that is the
best he can expect.

Tiscali don't always use MAX. I have a friend who used to have MAX and
got around 768 Kb/s. Switched to Tiscali (2Mb, not LLU) and stopped
being able to connect. Turns out that the 2Mb product is provided over
BT's non-MAX 2Mb ADSL service, which is too fast for the line.

Chris
Old January 26th 08, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JohnW

Dave Saville, in article fV45K0OBJxbE-pn2-
[email protected], says...
When I first upgraded to ADSL Max I got the maximum speed possible.
Last summer it dropped to half and staggered up a bit and now sits at
a BRAS rate of either 5 or 5.5.

Samknows and the BT site say I ought to get 6, so near enough I
suppose.

I have a friend, they were on BT but were only getting 2 - BT said
that was the best they could expect. He recently switched to Tiscali
because of their phone offer. He now gets - 2, Tiscali say that is the
best he can expect.

We are on the SAME pole!

But do you have the same wiring in your houses? I've often
significantly improved connection speeds by doing a "proper
job" with the in-house wiring. The first step is to throw away
the "free" plug-in filters and use a good faceplate filter, so
there is less interference picked-up on the house wiring being
sent to the ADSL modem. (The filter is in the voice side and
does nothing for the ADSL side)

This has also fixed systems that have experienced a decrease
in connection speed. They had done something in their house,
like installing fluorescents or some other electrical device,
all of which were adding to the interference being received by
their local wiring and being sent to the ADSL modem. It's
surprising what you can hear using an off-station AM radio
receiver.
--
JohnW.
Replace the obvious with co.uk in 2 places to mail me.