Tabbing and drop outs?

Old January 26th 08, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete L

Default Tabbing and drop outs?

I have had trouble with my connection either dropping out or just
becoming increasingly slow. When it does this I disconnect the router,
reconnect and normal service returns. I'm with Sky and, basically, I
have given up with them ever solving the problem. They just don't seem
to know why this happens. I suspect that it's a case of too much data
coming down the line and it just becomes too much for it to cope with.
Now I come to my question...... I always load up Firefox with five
of my favourite sites as tabs. Having twice this morning had drop outs
I am now running Firefox with just one page open and all seems stable
now. Could running tabs actually be causing these constant drop outs?
Old January 26th 08, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I am now running Firefox with just one page open and all seems stable
now. Could running tabs actually be causing these constant drop outs?

Not that I know of, but I can say that i've noticed a general increase
in the number of "page not found" events even when the connection is
fine, and across a number of machines - four at home, and also at work
- via a different ISP altogether. This happens with Firefox and IE.

Simply refreshing the "broken" page will get it back up, but I don't
know what's causing the problem generally.

Does the connection itself definitely drop out, i.e. have you tried
keeping the stats displayed as you surf, to see if there are any
obvious changes to the line status / attenuation ?
Old January 27th 08, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

Colin Wilson wrote:
I am now running Firefox with just one page open and all seems stable
now. Could running tabs actually be causing these constant drop outs?

Not that I know of, but I can say that i've noticed a general increase
in the number of "page not found" events even when the connection is
fine, and across a number of machines - four at home, and also at work
- via a different ISP altogether. This happens with Firefox and IE.

Simply refreshing the "broken" page will get it back up, but I don't
know what's causing the problem generally.

Does the connection itself definitely drop out, i.e. have you tried
keeping the stats displayed as you surf, to see if there are any
obvious changes to the line status / attenuation ?

I had a few problems with my sky BB a month or so ago - the router/modem
would "lock-up" with the LEDs showing OK. Sometimes it would clear but I
usually had to turn the router/modem off and on to clear it. This seems
to have passed, now, but I have recently started to get intermittent DNS
problems (page not found errors etc) which affect Firefox, Pegasus Mail
and Thunderbird. As you say, a refresh usually works. I'm considering
fixing an alternative DNS server address in the router/modem rather than
accept Sky's default.

--
PeeGee

The reply address is a spam trap. All mail is reported as spam.
to be removed from a computer easily."
Old January 27th 08, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:19:55 +0000, PeeGee wrote:

snip

but I have recently started to get intermittent DNS
problems (page not found errors etc) which affect Firefox, Pegasus Mail
and Thunderbird.

We are getting the same with orange.nl using Firefox.
--

Martin

Old January 27th 08, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

PeeGee wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

Just a bit of extra info - the lock-up, I think, was temperature related
as I fitted the clip-on feet and have it positioned with the LEDs in a
column, since when the lock-ups have disappeared.

Old January 27th 08, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

PeeGee wrote:
PeeGee wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

I have my D-link in a cabinet.In summer if I close the door, I lose all
Ethernet to it.

Power cycling after opening the door gets it back.
Old January 27th 08, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete L

On 27 Jan, 12:11, PeeGee wrote:
PeeGee wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

Thanks guys - I'll have a search around for the feet and try standing
the router up....