Help please - one way audio

Old January 27th 08, 02:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Default Help please - one way audio

While I have been using VoIP for couple of years, but this one has me
stumped.
I have acquired a Senao WiFi VoIP phone, which works fine,
except when calling "sipgate to sipgate" I don't hear the called person (or
Ivor's clock).
Ringing 10000 says all is set up correctly ! ? ?

The settings available on the phone are as follows:
Proxy Server: on/off Sipgate.co.uk port 5060
Outbound proxy: same as above
Stun Client IP: on/off stun.sipgate.net port 3478

Any ideas gratefully appreciated,
Regards,
Martin

Old January 27th 08, 06:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Martin²" wrote in message

: : While I have been using VoIP for couple of years, but
: : this one has me stumped.
: : I have acquired a Senao WiFi VoIP phone, which works
: : fine,
: : except when calling "sipgate to sipgate" I don't hear
: : the called person (or Ivor's clock).
: : Ringing 10000 says all is set up correctly ! ? ?
: :
: : The settings available on the phone are as follows:
: : Proxy Server: on/off Sipgate.co.uk port 5060
: : Outbound proxy: same as above
: : Stun Client IP: on/off stun.sipgate.net port 3478
: :
: : Any ideas gratefully appreciated,
: : Regards,
: : Martin

Sipgate uses stun port 10000 not 3478. Although 1-way audio is usually a
NAT problem.

Ivor

Old January 27th 08, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 06:16:02 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Martin²" wrote in message

: : While I have been using VoIP for couple of years, but
: : this one has me stumped.
: : I have acquired a Senao WiFi VoIP phone, which works
: : fine,
: : except when calling "sipgate to sipgate" I don't hear
: : the called person (or Ivor's clock).
: : Ringing 10000 says all is set up correctly ! ? ?
: :
: : The settings available on the phone are as follows:
: : Proxy Server: on/off Sipgate.co.uk port 5060
: : Outbound proxy: same as above
: : Stun Client IP: on/off stun.sipgate.net port 3478
: :
: : Any ideas gratefully appreciated,
: : Regards,
: : Martin

Sipgate uses stun port 10000 not 3478. Although 1-way audio is usually a
NAT problem.

Ivor

To enlarge on Ivor's comment re NAT: What this implies is that you
should forward certain ports in your router setup. The ports to be
forwarded can depend on the provider(s) you are using. Strangely I
have found that whereas virtually all providers would work with
certain ports forwarded, occasioanlly an additional port needs to be
forwarded. So your next question is what ports need to be forwarded?

To cover most eventualities, forward the ports listed to the IP of
your phone/ATA.

3478
5001
5004
5060 - 5065
8000-26000

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old January 27th 08, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheFug

wrote:

"Martin²" wrote in message

[...]

So this would mean, he can't use his phone on open hot spots ? since he
has no control over them....

--

The Fug.
Old January 28th 08, 04:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Default Help please - one way audio - now solved :-)

Thanks to Ivor, Brian & Fug.

Yes, I am well aware of forwarding ports and know which ones, but I did not
want to do it because:
1. I have VoIP router, (would it stop the built VoIP ports working ?).
2. You can't do that on friends or public routers.
3. Trying to avoid problem 1. I switched to BT1801HG router, which has NO
port forwarding.

However, after changing the stun port to 1000 and further experimentation I
found the answer:
Turn OFF the Outbound Proxy !
Now I am very pleased with my little Senao and at £50 inc. postage is quite
a bargain.
Looking for some public WiFi...
Thanks, regards,
Martin

Old January 28th 08, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

wrote:

"Martin²" wrote in message

[...]

I think you already know the answer to that question as it is
implicit. If someone else has control of a system you can't be sure of
anything. Many people do find that they can use their phones on open
hotspots but there are bound to be places where SIP won't work,
especially if a telco is has a vested interest in blocking such
activity.

---
Old January 31st 08, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheFug

wrote:

"Martin²" wrote in message

[...]

Aah, i've learned something more/new, i guess.... what you are saying
is, that if the "hotspot" has a provider, that's offering an ADSL and
telecom package, i can't use that "spot" with my voip enabled WiFi PDA
+voip, or WiFi Voip-phone ..? and VPN is also out of the question i
guess...

--

The Fug.

( VoIP/SIP switched by: www.mysipswitch.com )
Old February 1st 08, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:27:19 +0100, TheFug wrote:

---
[...]

I am not saying this is a generalised rule, just that some telcos may
try the blocking game if they see that they may be losing revenue.
Personally I think that it should be illegal to do this. Of course it
is rather like DRM on music. Music companies say they are losing 'x'
amount of revenue but they don't take into account that many people
just wouldn't buy at their prices anyway - same with the telcos I
would think. I think that the blocking takes place mainly in countries
that block VoIP anyway. It would be useful to know if any UK provider
did this.

---