LLU question

Old January 27th 08, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dirk

Default LLU question

Good morning all,

I am thinking of switching to Be pro but have two questions which I cannot
find an answer to on their website. (or maybe overlooked it)

If for some reason I want to switch back to a normal ADSL provider that
doesn't use LLU do I have to connect to BT first , meaning I have to pay a
connection charge to BT and have to suffer a Telephone outage for a couple
of days/ weeks?
Also as I am using Sky satelite does it give any problems?

With regards

Dirk

Old January 27th 08, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Smith

"dirk" wrote in message
Good morning all,

I am thinking of switching to Be pro but have two questions which I cannot
find an answer to on their website. (or maybe overlooked it)

email them, they usually respond quickly.

If for some reason I want to switch back to a normal ADSL provider that
doesn't use LLU do I have to connect to BT first , meaning I have to pay a
connection charge to BT and have to suffer a Telephone outage for a couple
of days/ weeks?

Why would you if you have a phone service from BT?
It's for that reason I would not take a phone service from my ISP.

Also as I am using Sky satelite does it give any problems?

With what? How is that connected to your Internet service?
If you mean the connection to a phone line then no. All SKY do is collect
info about what you watch and use it when you order premium services.

With regards

Dirk

Old January 28th 08, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AlanF

dirk wrote:
Good morning all,

I am thinking of switching to Be pro but have two questions which I cannot
find an answer to on their website. (or maybe overlooked it)

If for some reason I want to switch back to a normal ADSL provider that
doesn't use LLU do I have to connect to BT first , meaning I have to pay a
connection charge to BT and have to suffer a Telephone outage for a couple
of days/ weeks?
Also as I am using Sky satelite does it give any problems?

I am a BE Pro user and also retain my BT phoneline - so I pay BT my line
rental and call costs and BE for my internet connection (was 40pm now
circa 22).

Only issue I can see is if you wish to go back to a non LLU service (or
indeed another LLU provider) there may be a delay/disconnection of your
broadband service. Should be no issue with your BT voice line.

That said I have been with BE since April 07 and found them excellent -
whilst their technical support is based in Romania (?) or thereabouts
they are good at responding to tickets raised and in a timely manner.

Only potential fly in the ointment is now that they have been purchased
by O2 they may try and load the infrastructure. So far speeds have been
excellent at all times.

Regards

Alan
Old January 29th 08, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob S

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 13:02:39 -0000, "Pete Smith"
wrote:

- Also as I am using Sky satelite does it give any problems?
-
-
-With what? How is that connected to your Internet service?
-If you mean the connection to a phone line then no. All SKY do is collect
-info about what you watch and use it when you order premium services.

Is there any point in my sky box being connected to the phone line at all? I
don't use any paid services, and I don't subscribe to sky (I use the freesat
service)...

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com
Old January 29th 08, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote:

- Also as I am using Sky satelite does it give any problems?
-
-
-With what? How is that connected to your Internet service?
-If you mean the connection to a phone line then no. All SKY do is
collect
-info about what you watch and use it when you order premium services.

Is there any point in my sky box being connected to the phone line at
all? I don't use any paid services, and I don't subscribe to sky (I
use the freesat service)...

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com

It's a contractual obligation to have your Sky box connected to the phone
line for the first 12 months - after that, do what you want.

Old January 29th 08, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Great Eastern

John wrote:
It's a contractual obligation to have your Sky box connected to the phone
line for the first 12 months - after that, do what you want.

I had Sky installed last Feb and it was only ever connected to the phone
line until just after the installer had left, never had them contact me.

I dont know the terms on the Freesatfromsky offer but it seems to be
only Multiroom subscribers and HD/Sky + boxes which phone home
Old January 29th 08, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dirk

Thanks for all the answers.
I got an email back from Be* too and i will be still on the BT line.
I now disconnected the Sky box from the phone line too.
Thanks for the info on that.
I have just went for the Be* pro option
I hope it will be better then the crap VM adsl connection.
The overall speed i am getting with VM is sometimes less then modem speed
and even simple pages as the BBC pages that update the latetst fotball
scores won't refresh and have to refresh manually manually.

Old January 31st 08, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob S

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:11:21 GMT, "dirk" wrote:

-and even simple pages as the BBC pages that update the latetst fotball
-scores won't refresh and have to refresh manually manually.
-

Blimey that IS manually
-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com
Old January 31st 08, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

John wrote:
It's a contractual obligation to have your Sky box connected to the
phone line for the first 12 months - after that, do what you want.

I had Sky installed last Feb and it was only ever connected to the phone
line until just after the installer had left, never had them contact me.

I dont know the terms on the Freesatfromsky offer but it seems to be only
Multiroom subscribers and HD/Sky + boxes which phone home

Do you have a specific reason for going for Be Pro?

The reason I ask is that the only difference between Be Pro and Be Unlimited
is that on Pro you can have multiple static IP addresses and if your line is
good enough i.e. above 12Mb stable sync you request have Upload Plus NB you
are not put on Upload Plus / Annex M as standard. You have to request it
If none of the above applies, you are better off signing up for Be
Unlimited or even Be Value and then if your line is good enough and you want
the higher upload speed upgrade to Be Pro free of charge.
Also, if you have an O2 contract phone, you can get the same even cheaper -
Be and O2 use the same infrastructure

Just a bit of advice from an existing Be*ing

Nicola

Old January 31st 08, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herman

John wrote:
[...]

O2/Be certainly got my ADSL working faster. Before BT could only manage 1mb
sync. Now on 4mb sync with O2 LLU (not that they do non-LLU). Could depend
on the exchange equipment though