Cheapest broadband provider??

Old January 27th 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Cheapest broadband provider??

A couple I know have just seperated and are getting divorced. She moved into
a flat of her own 3 days ago and money is very tight for her so what's her
best option for broadband?

She won't be downloading music/films etc., and really just wants it for
basic websurfing, emails, and Skype to her family and friends. Any ideas as
to who's the cheapest provider for her to use?

Cheers,

John

Old January 27th 08, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Smith

"John" wrote in message
news
A couple I know have just seperated and are getting divorced. She moved
into a flat of her own 3 days ago and money is very tight for her so what's
her best option for broadband?

She won't be downloading music/films etc., and really just wants it for
basic websurfing, emails, and Skype to her family and friends. Any ideas
as to who's the cheapest provider for her to use?

Cheers,

John

If you offered to find something why don't you go and search ? You will get
many answers here so how will you check they are correct?
Never promise to do something if you can't. She will only see all this once
connected anyway, so you might not be such a hero!

Old January 27th 08, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

John wrote:
A couple I know have just seperated and are getting divorced. She moved into
a flat of her own 3 days ago and money is very tight for her so what's her
best option for broadband?

She won't be downloading music/films etc., and really just wants it for
basic websurfing, emails, and Skype to her family and friends. Any ideas as
to who's the cheapest provider for her to use?

Cheers,

John

www.kitz.co.uk has pretty up to date comparisons.

DYOR.
Old January 27th 08, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

John wrote:
A couple I know have just seperated and are getting divorced. She moved into
a flat of her own 3 days ago and money is very tight for her so what's her
best option for broadband?

She won't be downloading music/films etc., and really just wants it for
basic websurfing, emails, and Skype to her family and friends. Any ideas as
to who's the cheapest provider for her to use?

Cheers,

John

Cheep isn't always the best (I know this from bitter recent experience).

Apart from checking the reviews, find one that doesn't have offshore
call centers for support and doesn't use premium rate phone numbers for
any technical or billing issues - otherwise when you have a problem you
go through hell... and you'll be footing the bill for it.

And avoid Tiscali - google tiscali crap and you'll see why.
Old January 27th 08, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 27/01/2008 13:05, John wrote:

what's her best option for broadband?

Unlikely to coincide with the cheapest.
Old January 27th 08, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Pete Smith wrote:
"John" wrote in message
news
A couple I know have just seperated and are getting divorced. She
moved into a flat of her own 3 days ago and money is very tight for
her so what's her best option for broadband?

She won't be downloading music/films etc., and really just wants it
for basic websurfing, emails, and Skype to her family and friends.
Any ideas as to who's the cheapest provider for her to use?

Cheers,

John

If you offered to find something why don't you go and search ? You
will get many answers here so how will you check they are correct?
Never promise to do something if you can't. She will only see all
this once connected anyway, so you might not be such a hero!

You know, I first got internet and usenet access over 14 years ago, when a
14.4kbps dial-up modem was blisteringly fast, cutting-edge technology (and
cost more than 250!). In those days there was a true spirit of friendship
and helpfulness and when a question was asked, many people went out of their
way to help and to provide useful answers.

Thankfully, most decent people still stick to that ethic but it seems, Pete
Smith, that you are not one of them.

Nowhere in my original posting did I say that I had "offered to find
something"; nowhere did I say that I had "promised" anything, and nowhere
did I ever say that I wanted to be a hero. I have not promised my friend
anything at all - in fact I've not even mentioned it to her. I just thought
I'd ask in here first because (a) I'm expecting her asking me at some stage,
(b) there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people in this group, over
a wide range of service providers and (c) although I've been on the internet
for more than 14 years, I was a beta tester for the Microsoft Network and
then later on a beta tester for BT Internet, remaining with them ever since,
so I only have experience of those two providers (and I don't think the
Microsoft Network exists anymore, does it?).

If you can't be helpful, don't bother replying at all.

John

Old January 27th 08, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Andy Burns wrote:
On 27/01/2008 13:05, John wrote:

what's her best option for broadband?

Unlikely to coincide with the cheapest.

I appreciate that Andy but, circumstances dictate that cheap is the only
consideration here in this case so cheap it has to be.

John

Old January 27th 08, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 27/01/2008 14:47, John wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
On 27/01/2008 13:05, John wrote:

what's her best option for broadband?

Unlikely to coincide with the cheapest.

I appreciate that Andy but, circumstances dictate that cheap is the only
consideration here in this case so cheap it has to be.

Having used Demon for yonks, I switched to Plusnet, they've had a couple
of dodgy spells (like anyone else) but seem OK again now, I'd recommend
avoiding the Tiscali, CPW(AOL in diguise) etc providers.

For a "light user" they offer 10/month,
http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...T.svl=bbyw_ban

only a 1month contract, so she can up sticks of she doesn't like it, but
make sure she realises if her usage does increase without changing plan
she'll get bitten.
Old January 27th 08, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

John wrote:

A couple I know have just seperated and are getting divorced. She moved into
a flat of her own 3 days ago and money is very tight for her so what's her
best option for broadband?

She won't be downloading music/films etc., and really just wants it for
basic websurfing, emails, and Skype to her family and friends. Any ideas as
to who's the cheapest provider for her to use?

Whoever is the CHEAPEST today is unlikely to be a GOOD choice unless saving
tuppence is all you care for.

Graham

Old January 27th 08, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HVS

On 27 Jan 2008, John wrote

A couple I know have just seperated and are getting divorced.
She moved into a flat of her own 3 days ago and money is very
tight for her so what's her best option for broadband?

She won't be downloading music/films etc., and really just wants
it for basic websurfing, emails, and Skype to her family and
friends. Any ideas as to who's the cheapest provider for her to
use?

My sister-in-law is using the 3 Mobile modem at 10/month for 1 gig
of downloads, as she's living where she can't use a fixed-line
service.

She uses it for e-mail and surfing with virtually no downloading, and
managed to use a grand total of 56 MB in December. I don't know what
sort of traffic Skype manages to generate, but my guess is that 944MB
would get you a whole heap of talk time....

It's not incredibly fast, but it might be worth considering for her.

--
Cheers,
Harvey