AOL's latest dirty trick?

Old January 27th 08, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meee

Default AOL's latest dirty trick?

Well, I thought things were looking up when AOL got rid of my peak
time speed cap (which they originally imposed without telling me and
denied it when I asked about it).

However, it now seems when I've been downloading for a while, they
break the connection. Unfortunately, it also applies to uploading.
I've been trying all day to upload a file to my Youtube account and
its only 19MB.

Can't believe I'm paying 30 a month for this rubbish.

Anyone else had issues, or can recommend a decent ISP?

Old January 28th 08, 08:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter James

wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:37:38 +0000, Meee wrote:

Well, I thought things were looking up when AOL got rid of my peak
time speed cap (which they originally imposed without telling me and
denied it when I asked about it).

However, it now seems when I've been downloading for a while, they
break the connection. Unfortunately, it also applies to uploading.
I've been trying all day to upload a file to my Youtube account and
its only 19MB.

Can't believe I'm paying 30 a month for this rubbish.

Anyone else had issues, or can recommend a decent ISP?

IDNET .

Agreed. The difference between them and my former ISP is like chalk and
cheese. It is so refreshing to be notified of maintenance outages, to
receive a monthly invoice, and not to have to wait ages for a web page to
open.

Old January 28th 08, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter James

"Meee" wrote in message

Well, I thought things were looking up when AOL got rid of my peak
time speed cap (which they originally imposed without telling me and
denied it when I asked about it).

However, it now seems when I've been downloading for a while, they
break the connection. Unfortunately, it also applies to uploading.
I've been trying all day to upload a file to my Youtube account and
its only 19MB.

Can't believe I'm paying 30 a month for this rubbish.

Anyone else had issues, or can recommend a decent ISP?

As Rick said IDNet, but likely you will have to pay more than you do AOL to
get the bandwidth you want.

Old January 28th 08, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Meee wrote:

Can't believe I'm paying 30 a month for this rubbish.

Why ARE you paying *** 30 *** a month ?????

Anyone else had issues, or can recommend a decent ISP?

Idnet are totally excellent and don't hide any oddball terms and
conditions in the small print. Futhermore you get tech support from
British people on a FREE number and you also get a 'service level
guarantee' ** which is almost unique AFAIK for a 'consumer' connection.

Graham

** means they guarantee to fix a fault within 48 hours. No dawdling or
obfuscation about calling out BT Openreach to check your line for
example.

Old January 28th 08, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

Eeyore wrote:
Meee wrote:

Can't believe I'm paying 30 a month for this rubbish.

Why ARE you paying *** 30 *** a month ?????

Anyone else had issues, or can recommend a decent ISP?

Idnet are totally excellent and don't hide any oddball terms and
conditions in the small print. Futhermore you get tech support from
British people on a FREE number and you also get a 'service level
guarantee' ** which is almost unique AFAIK for a 'consumer'
connection.

Graham

** means they guarantee to fix a fault within 48 hours. No dawdling or
obfuscation about calling out BT Openreach to check your line for
example.

if you need a higher download cap than idnet provide, try entanet resellers
(vivaciti, ukfsn etc...) speeds not as stable as idnet (slows down 10pm -
midnight and a few hours at weekend), also good quality uk based support.

Old January 30th 08, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

Meee wrote:
Well, I thought things were looking up when AOL got rid of my peak
time speed cap (which they originally imposed without telling me and
denied it when I asked about it).

They appear to have abandoned capping altogether except on Sundays.

However, it now seems when I've been downloading for a while, they
break the connection. Unfortunately, it also applies to uploading.
I've been trying all day to upload a file to my Youtube account and
its only 19MB.

The disconnections appear to be random and not connected with any activity
on the user's part. They are definitely more frequent than they used to be.

Can't believe I'm paying 30 a month for this rubbish.

Neither can I? I'm only being billed 14.99 for a 8 Meg connection despite
never having asked for a reduction. In some areas it's only 9.99 for the
same service.

Anyone else had issues, or can recommend a decent ISP?

A new network, software download is supposed to fix these issues but there's
no sign of it as yet.

(kim)