S450ip not possible

Old January 29th 08, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

Default S450ip not possible

My new S450IP has thrown a wobbly in that if I press the IP selection
button it says "not possible!" but calls come in OK and calls go out
using the #provider suffix trick. Pressing the "Fixed Line" button
gives a screen to input the number - as the IP button used to. I tried
rebooting the base and the IP button worked once. This is on all
handsets. :-(

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old January 30th 08, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

"Dave Saville" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
My new S450IP has thrown a wobbly in that if I press the IP selection
button it says "not possible!" but calls come in OK and calls go out
using the #provider suffix trick. Pressing the "Fixed Line" button
gives a screen to input the number - as the IP button used to. I tried
rebooting the base and the IP button worked once. This is on all
handsets. :-(

Hi I was looking at this phone. Apparently the base unit works with any dect
gap compatible handset.

AIUI the S450IP allows you to make two similtaneous calls and assign
different extensions to different sip numbers. Is this still possible using
bog standard GAP handsets or does it only work with the siemans S450 ones.

The reason I ask is that I like my house to have 4 dect phones (which I
already own) and would be happy to pay 100 for the siemans base unit and
one handset but consider it a bit steep to have to pay 250 for a 4 handset
system.?

So could I just buy the base and use my existing handsets?

Old January 30th 08, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:18:16 UTC, "Nick"
wrote:

[...]

The answer is - it depends. :-) I have some *really* old Samsung
handsets and they work fine. What you don't get are all the bells and
whistles of course. You can select which SIP line to go out on by
suffixing the number #provider. That works on the old sets. You can
also assign which SIP line rings which phones. Some thins are bizarre
- For instance there is a default line for the base - ie fixed or SIP
and any call without a suffix goes out over the default - except speed
dial which goes out on the non default! luckily one can suffix
directory numbers with # or * and that overrides. The thing I miss
most from my Zyxel is you can't tell it the real world IP. I have
fixed IPs. Possibly someone would supply and take it back if the
phones won't register.

An odd problem I had is that one of my providers is voiptalk and even
though the router has SIP ALG enabled and every other provider and
direct peer to peer worked, they did not until I used the outbound
proxy as well. I thought the idea of SIP ALG was that one did not have
to faff around with stun and proxies.

To answer my own original question - power cycling the base restores
normal working but how it gets it's knickers in a twist I have no
idea. Still very new but I like it.

HTH

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old January 31st 08, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheFug

Nick schreef:
[...]

Why not use an ATA ? you can use any normal or DECT phone then....
or a Fritz!box in combination with a (home) phone central/switch..

--

The Fug.

( VoIP/SIP switched by: www.mysipswitch.com )
Old February 1st 08, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:17:50 UTC, TheFug wrote:

Nick schreef:
[...]

So what ATA lets you use normal DECT phone(s) and have two
conversations at once using two handsets on the same base station?

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old February 1st 08, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Dave Saville wrote:
My new S450IP has thrown a wobbly in that if I press the IP selection
button it says "not possible!" but calls come in OK and calls go out
using the #provider suffix trick. Pressing the "Fixed Line" button
gives a screen to input the number - as the IP button used to. I tried
rebooting the base and the IP button worked once. This is on all
handsets. :-(

What exactly do you mean by "the IP selection button" and "the fixed
line selection button"? There are no such buttons on the phone.
Generally you select the "default line type" in the web interface on in
the menus on the handset, then you press the green "dial" button briefly
to use the default line type and hold it in to select the "non-default"
line type, where the type is simply IP or fixed line. You can over-ride
this at any time using the suffixes as you say.

Can you describe exactly which buttons you are pressing on the handset
to get the "not possible" error you are seeing?

Also, check that you have that particular handset assigned to make it's
outbound IP calls via an IP account on the base that is actually
registered and working (need to web browse to it for this). As if you
try to make an IP call through an account that is not working, then you
will see that error.

cheers,
Paul.
Old February 9th 08, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mr deo

So what ATA lets you use normal DECT phone(s) and have two
conversations at once using two handsets on the same base station?

--

I dont know of any "cheap" Dect phones that have 2 POTS lines.
I did wonder however if these Spermens Phones suffer if you have 2 VoIP

Old February 9th 08, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Christian

I did wonder however if these Spermens Phones suffer if you have
2 VoIP calls going out at the same time :/...

That works fine on my S450IP. I very often have 2 outgoing calls or 1
outgoing and 1 ingoing VOIP calls happening at the same time, and that
doesn't give any problems. I do have to say that I use G711 (the least
processing for the base station). I can imagine things get more difficult
with two G726/G729/G722 calls happening at the same time.

I did buy a dect phone at xmas for my mother and it supported "one touch"
changing to other base stations so I guess it would be possible to have a
ton of lines, but there's no way that would be anything as flexible as the
single box solution.

On top of that: your hanset wouldn't ring on an incoming second line if it
was registered on the first base station if another call was already taking
place on that line.

Christian

Old February 9th 08, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Christian wrote:
I did wonder however if these Spermens Phones suffer if you have
2 VoIP calls going out at the same time :/...

That works fine on my S450IP. I very often have 2 outgoing calls or 1
outgoing and 1 ingoing VOIP calls happening at the same time, and that
doesn't give any problems. I do have to say that I use G711 (the least
processing for the base station). I can imagine things get more difficult
with two G726/G729/G722 calls happening at the same time.

AIUI, DECT uses G726 between base and handset, so the least processing
would be to get the base to use g726 to the upstream carrier (if they
support it)

G726 transcoding is relatively "light" on CPU cycles needed (compared to
G729, GSM, etc.) I've used it a few times when I've been tring to reduce
bandwidth in places. Quality-wise, it's not too bad either - I think
G729 is supposed to sound better though (for much lower bandwdith).

Gordon