SIP re registration times

Old January 31st 08, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

Default SIP re registration times

Are there any rules about SIP re registration times? I have seen two
or three minutes from some and an hour from others. Just wondering.

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old January 31st 08, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Dave Saville wrote:
Are there any rules about SIP re registration times? I have seen two
or three minutes from some and an hour from others. Just wondering.

In general, longer is better. I usually go for an hour.

Basically, the longer the registration is valid for, then the more time
you attempt re-registration should the first attempt at re-registration
fail.

Lots of people suggest really fast ones (like a minute) to hold NATs
open. This is not best practice; keep alives are much better for this.

That is my quick explanation, but I'm really busy today.

Tim
Old January 31st 08, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Al Paca

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:45:53 +0000, Tim wrote:

Lots of people suggest really fast ones (like a minute) to hold NATs
open. This is not best practice; keep alives are much better for this.

On my voip.co.uk account, the server seems to override whatever
setting I make in my PAP2. It seems to set the registration interval
to 120 seconds. I'm not sure if I can alter this.

Tesco Internet Phone seems even shorter with a registration interval
of 45 seconds.

For both of these accounts I have my 'register expirse' setting on the
PAP2 at 3600 seconds but it seems to be overridden. Prior to the new
voip.co.uk platform my setting was not overridden.

Old January 31st 08, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Al Paca" wrote in message
idual.de...
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:45:53 +0000, Tim wrote:

Lots of people suggest really fast ones (like a minute) to hold NATs
open. This is not best practice; keep alives are much better for this.

On my voip.co.uk account, the server seems to override whatever
setting I make in my PAP2. It seems to set the registration interval
to 120 seconds. I'm not sure if I can alter this.

Tesco Internet Phone seems even shorter with a registration interval
of 45 seconds.

For both of these accounts I have my 'register expirse' setting on the
PAP2 at 3600 seconds but it seems to be overridden. Prior to the new
voip.co.uk platform my setting was not overridden.

Yes, I think the lower of the re-register periods is taken where they are
different, but I could be wrong - the rules could be slightly more complex.

Old January 31st 08, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Higton

In message
"Herman" wrote:

"Al Paca" wrote in message
idual.de...
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:45:53 +0000, Tim wrote:

Lots of people suggest really fast ones (like a minute) to hold NATs
open. This is not best practice; keep alives are much better for this.

On my voip.co.uk account, the server seems to override whatever
setting I make in my PAP2. It seems to set the registration interval
to 120 seconds. I'm not sure if I can alter this.

Tesco Internet Phone seems even shorter with a registration interval
of 45 seconds.

For both of these accounts I have my 'register expirse' setting on the
PAP2 at 3600 seconds but it seems to be overridden. Prior to the new
voip.co.uk platform my setting was not overridden.

Yes, I think the lower of the re-register periods is taken where they are
different, but I could be wrong - the rules could be slightly more complex.

In SIP, the UAC can request what it wants (the most common period
being 3600 seconds, which is mentioned in the RFC), and the UAS can
grant what it likes. The period granted often is shorter than that
requested, e.g. Sipgate grants 600 when I request 3600. It would
be unusual (not certain if it's wrong, though) to grant you more
than you request.

Dave
Old February 1st 08, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Al Paca

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:22:09 GMT, Dave Higton
wrote:

In SIP, the UAC can request what it wants (the most common period
being 3600 seconds, which is mentioned in the RFC), and the UAS can
grant what it likes. The period granted often is shorter than that
requested, e.g. Sipgate grants 600 when I request 3600. It would
be unusual (not certain if it's wrong, though) to grant you more
than you request.

Thanks for the info Dave.