How to tell if a port has been blocked?

Old January 31st 08, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

Default How to tell if a port has been blocked?

Hi,

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with remote desktop. I suspect my
internet connection.

How can I tell if a particular port has been blocked or not?
--
Regards
Jon
Old January 31st 08, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

Jon wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with remote desktop. I suspect my
internet connection.

How can I tell if a particular port has been blocked or not?

http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

just test the ports you're concerned about

Old January 31st 08, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

Jon wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with remote desktop. I suspect my
internet connection.

How can I tell if a particular port has been blocked or not?

Unfortunately you can't, for sure. If the port is blocked you may get
connection refused when telnetting to it, or you may get a timeout. Both
symptoms could equally well be your internet connection timing out, or
the other guy's cabling being dodgy, or your own firewall t*tting you
about.

--
Mark McIntyre

CLC FAQ http://c-faq.com/
CLC readme: http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt
Old January 31st 08, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herman

"Jon" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with remote desktop. I suspect my
internet connection.

How can I tell if a particular port has been blocked or not?
--
Regards
Jon

Surely you need to set up port forwarding, although I am not sure which. I
remember trying to get it working, but I had to DMZ the host computer before
it would work. Client side should work OK with NAT though, IIRC.