ADSL24 and P2P

Old February 1st 08, 08:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Default ADSL24 and P2P

One of my main bandwidth suckers is US tele which I normally pull down via
P2P. How are ADSL24 and P2P? Their info page says they block no ports and
employ no throttling. I'll only be able to get 1Mb which is a tiny pipe.
Am I likely to get moaning letters for downloading I'd guess about 6-10GB a
month?

Cheers.

WCZ.

Old February 1st 08, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
WCZ wrote:
One of my main bandwidth suckers is US tele which I normally pull down via
P2P. How are ADSL24 and P2P? Their info page says they block no ports and
employ no throttling. I'll only be able to get 1Mb which is a tiny pipe.
Am I likely to get moaning letters for downloading I'd guess about 6-10GB a
month?

Why don't you just look at their web page?

They appear to be an Entanet reseller, so it depends on the package you
buy off them, but in all cases, if you do your downloading after 10pm,
then you'll have planty of capacity.

http://adsl24.co.uk/broadband_home.php

Gordon
Old February 1st 08, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
In article ,
WCZ wrote:
One of my main bandwidth suckers is US tele which I normally pull down via
P2P. How are ADSL24 and P2P? Their info page says they block no ports
and
employ no throttling. I'll only be able to get 1Mb which is a tiny pipe.
Am I likely to get moaning letters for downloading I'd guess about 6-10GB
month?

Why don't you just look at their web page?

I did. They don't specifically say they are happy for P2P to be used
whereas one of the other Entanet suppliers does say that. If they are
anti-P2P which was my question then I'll have to look elsewhere.

Old February 1st 08, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

WCZ wrote:
One of my main bandwidth suckers is US tele which I normally pull
down via P2P. How are ADSL24 and P2P? Their info page says they
block no ports and
employ no throttling. I'll only be able to get 1Mb which is a tiny
pipe. Am I likely to get moaning letters for downloading I'd guess
about 6-10GB a
month?

Why don't you just look at their web page?

I did. They don't specifically say they are happy for P2P to be used
whereas one of the other Entanet suppliers does say that. If they are
anti-P2P which was my question then I'll have to look elsewhere.

I don't think any ISP is "anti-P2P"?
What they are "anti" is bandwidth usage.
Provided you don't use any significant bandwidth they are perfectly happy
for you to use P2P )

Be warned that some ISP's are a bit too enthusiastic about supplying
subscriber details to third party copyright lawyers in defiance of EU
privacy regulations. Always use a dynamic IP address if possible.

(kim)

Old February 1st 08, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HVS

On 01 Feb 2008, kim wrote

WCZ wrote:
One of my main bandwidth suckers is US tele which I normally
pull down via P2P. How are ADSL24 and P2P? Their info page
says they block no ports and
employ no throttling. I'll only be able to get 1Mb which is
a tiny pipe. Am I likely to get moaning letters for
downloading I'd guess about 6-10GB a
month?

Why don't you just look at their web page?

I did. They don't specifically say they are happy for P2P to
be used whereas one of the other Entanet suppliers does say
that. If they are anti-P2P which was my question then I'll
have to look elsewhere.

I don't think any ISP is "anti-P2P"?
What they are "anti" is bandwidth usage.
Provided you don't use any significant bandwidth they are
perfectly happy for you to use P2P )

I don't think that's quite correct: I'm sure I've read of ISPs
that openly say they use software to prioritise traffic and to
specifically throttle PSP usage.

(Can't think of the relevant companies, though -- Plusnet, maybe?)

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Old February 1st 08, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jay L. T. Cornwall

HVS wrote:

I don't think any ISP is "anti-P2P"?
What they are "anti" is bandwidth usage.
Provided you don't use any significant bandwidth they are
perfectly happy for you to use P2P )

I don't think that's quite correct: I'm sure I've read of ISPs
that openly say they use software to prioritise traffic and to
specifically throttle PSP usage.

He is correct. ISPs might say that they employ software specifically to
throttle P2P, but that's only because P2P is an enormous chunk of the
bandwidth their customers use. If any other protocol used
disproportionately large amounts of bandwidth, they'd throttle that too.

Remember, P2P (in moderation) is not an ISP's enemy. The legal
implications are insignificant when weighed against the additional
subscribers an ISP can attract. Network capacity is their only
motivation for throttling its use.

--
Jay L. T. Cornwall
http://www.jcornwall.me.uk/
Old February 1st 08, 12:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HVS

On 01 Feb 2008, Jay L. T. Cornwall wrote

HVS wrote:

I don't think any ISP is "anti-P2P"?
What they are "anti" is bandwidth usage.
Provided you don't use any significant bandwidth they are
perfectly happy for you to use P2P )

I don't think that's quite correct: I'm sure I've read of ISPs
that openly say they use software to prioritise traffic and to
specifically throttle PSP usage.

He is correct. ISPs might say that they employ software
specifically to throttle P2P, but that's only because P2P is an
enormous chunk of the bandwidth their customers use. If any
other protocol used disproportionately large amounts of
bandwidth, they'd throttle that too.

Fair 'nuff; I thought they were probably analysing upload/download
ratios or something, rather than sheer volume -- but I don't know
the technical details.

Remember, P2P (in moderation) is not an ISP's enemy. The legal
implications are insignificant when weighed against the
additional subscribers an ISP can attract. Network capacity is
their only motivation for throttling its use.

(I did know that -- their concern is the bandwidth used by, not the
legalities of, P2P traffic; same concern they've got with the
Beeb's iPlayer and similar stuff.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Old February 1st 08, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when "WCZ"
opened his gob and said:

How are ADSL24 and P2P? Their info page says they block no ports and
employ no throttling.

True

Am I likely to get moaning letters for downloading I'd guess about 6-10GB a
month?

You amateur g. You will just get charged the next package up plus a
5 admin fee.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old February 2nd 08, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

WCZ wrote:
One of my main bandwidth suckers is US tele which I normally pull
down via P2P. How are ADSL24 and P2P? Their info page says they
block no ports and employ no throttling. I'll only be able to get
1Mb which is a tiny pipe. Am I likely to get moaning letters for
downloading I'd guess about 6-10GB a month?

Since you're using P2P you will also be charged for uploads which can easily
be as much as twice your download total. The limit is for *total* bandwidth
usage not just for downloads. In effect you are paying for everyone else's
downloads. Personally I would avoid any kind of P2P with a bandwidth cap.

(kim)

Old February 2nd 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

kim wrote:
WCZ wrote:
One of my main bandwidth suckers is US tele which I normally pull
down via P2P. How are ADSL24 and P2P? Their info page says they
block no ports and employ no throttling. I'll only be able to get
1Mb which is a tiny pipe. Am I likely to get moaning letters for
downloading I'd guess about 6-10GB a month?

Since you're using P2P you will also be charged for uploads which can easily
be as much as twice your download total. The limit is for *total* bandwidth
usage not just for downloads. In effect you are paying for everyone else's
downloads. Personally I would avoid any kind of P2P with a bandwidth cap.

Why? The limits for ADSL24 are very generous, especially off peak.