XTE-2005 - Filtered faceplates

Old February 1st 08, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
diy-newby

Default XTE-2005 - Filtered faceplates

Hi guys

Thinking of replacing the standard faceplate on the my BT master socket with
an XTE-2005 filtered one.

Does fitting one of these improve the reliability / speed of the connection?

Old February 1st 08, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

diy-newby wrote:

Hi guys

Thinking of replacing the standard faceplate on the my BT master
socket with an XTE-2005 filtered one.

Does fitting one of these improve the reliability / speed of the
connection?

Depends how good/bad it is to start with. It certainly shouldn't make it any
worse, and it may well make it better.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old February 1st 08, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
naza

In a nutshell if your house phone wiring is crap, close to power
cables or sources of interference then it will make a difference even
if it may be slight. The simple way to test this is remove your front
faceplate and plug you modem into the test socket. If you get a better
speed then having a faceplate will get you that speed if not then
installing a faceplate will make no difference. All the faceplate does
is give you the speed/reliability that you get from your test socket
Old February 1st 08, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

All the faceplate does
is give you the speed/reliability that you get from your test socket.

At a price.
You can, as I have done, put two cheapo T-style CE
(Chinese Export) filters in series.
First one to the Master Socket, plug RJ11 into it
for unfiltered ADSL. Also plug second one into
it.
Now plug phones into second one.
Caller ID unit still works, no noticeable impairment
of phone speech quality, or ringing.
My BRAS profile was all over the place.
AFAIR values around 1500, 2400, 3200, now
for extended periods, it sticks at the higher rate.
I presume if it drops, local interference, or
more likely it's lapping over the top of the
wellies of the guy pumping water out of
the manhole.
Old February 2nd 08, 01:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
A.N.Other

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 15:08:42 -0000, "diy-newby" wrote:

Hi guys

Thinking of replacing the standard faceplate on the my BT master socket with
an XTE-2005 filtered one.

Does fitting one of these improve the reliability / speed of the connection?

Worked for me. Got another 2Mb/s from it, but as t'other chap said,
try using your test socket for a while first to evaluate the gain.
Old February 2nd 08, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herman

"A.N.Other" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 15:08:42 -0000, "diy-newby" wrote:

Hi guys

Thinking of replacing the standard faceplate on the my BT master socket
with
an XTE-2005 filtered one.

Does fitting one of these improve the reliability / speed of the
connection?

Worked for me. Got another 2Mb/s from it, but as t'other chap said,
try using your test socket for a while first to evaluate the gain.

I agree. Also you can get BT wholesale *estimates* of what your line should
be giving you based on distance and exchange equipment at
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/sdchecker.php. This is of course just an
estimate which does not take into account actual line distance or other
factors.

Old February 2nd 08, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herman

sorry better link is http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php