Sudden drop in speed

Old February 2nd 08, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Patrick

Default Sudden drop in speed

Good morning all,

What factors could cause a sudden drop in connection speed of about 300k?

My BT Homehub was connecting at about steady 2350 or so for a long time,
then when I upgraded to the latest firmware, it connected at 2528 constantly
and succsefully for the last few weeks. The router is normally left on all
the time.

Suddenly early this morning the router dropped to 2208 and I am having
trouble now to connect faster than 2250 or so. That's bad news as that will
drop my configured download speed below 2 Meg I think.

I have not added any new electrical equipment in the house or anything like
that. I did install a filtered master faceplate about 3 weeks ago, but
everything was fine since then.

cheers
Patrick.

Old February 2nd 08, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Patrick wrote:
Good morning all,

What factors could cause a sudden drop in connection speed of
about 300k?
My BT Homehub was connecting at about steady 2350 or so for a long
time, then when I upgraded to the latest firmware, it connected at
2528 constantly and succsefully for the last few weeks. The router
is normally left on all the time.

Suddenly early this morning the router dropped to 2208 and I am
having trouble now to connect faster than 2250 or so. That's bad
news as that will drop my configured download speed below 2 Meg I
think.
I have not added any new electrical equipment in the house or
anything like that. I did install a filtered master faceplate
about 3 weeks ago, but everything was fine since then.

cheers
Patrick.

There are bigger things to worry about than 3kbps, that's from your
new max speed or 1kbps that's from your normal speed.

Get a life & grab some sunshine whilst you can. The time to really
worry is when you drop 1mbps or more....

Old February 2nd 08, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Patrick

Get a life & grab some sunshine whilst you can. The time to really worry
is when you drop 1mbps or more....

You are probably right, but as I understand, video on demand services like
for example BTVision require a 2Meg or better configured download speed.

By my understanding you have to connect at 2272kbps or better to get that.
Therefore if my connection starts regularly going below that I am ruled out
of those services. That's why those extra few k are important around that
speed range. If it had dropped from 6500 to 6200 I would not be bothered
whatsoever.

cheers

Old February 3rd 08, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Patrick wrote:
Get a life & grab some sunshine whilst you can. The time to
really worry is when you drop 1mbps or more....

You are probably right, but as I understand, video on demand
services like for example BTVision require a 2Meg or better
configured download speed.
By my understanding you have to connect at 2272kbps or better to
get that. Therefore if my connection starts regularly going below
that I am ruled out of those services. That's why those extra few
k are important around that speed range. If it had dropped from
6500 to 6200 I would not be bothered whatsoever.

cheers

The same applies, I know the saying if we look after the pennies the
pounds will look after themselves, unfortunately this does not apply
to your situation. You are grasping at gnats worrying about your
'fluctuation', it's not even .5Mbps & I very much doubt if it will
make any great difference to your profile. So take a chill pill &
relax. If all the people who have minor fluctuations started to post
there would be literaly thousands of such posts each & every day. If
you have done your homework & checked everything, there is nothing
anybody can or will do for you as you aren't even breaching your
'Lower Threshold'.

Start worrying about your services not working if & when you order
them & then the problems can be directly addressed, but minor
fluctuations......sorry but that way leads to exspensive bills & still
nothing getting done. Like the users with flakey wifi connections
complaining that their DSL keeps dropping thats another £160 plus
thank you.

Old February 3rd 08, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Patrick wrote:
Good morning all,

What factors could cause a sudden drop in connection speed of about 300k?

Electrical noise.

My BT Homehub was connecting at about steady 2350 or so for a long time,
then when I upgraded to the latest firmware, it connected at 2528 constantly
and succsefully for the last few weeks. The router is normally left on all
the time.

Suddenly early this morning the router dropped to 2208 and I am having
trouble now to connect faster than 2250 or so. That's bad news as that will
drop my configured download speed below 2 Meg I think.

I have not added any new electrical equipment in the house or anything like
that. I did install a filtered master faceplate about 3 weeks ago, but
everything was fine since then.

So maybe somewhere up the line, someone has been running some
equipment..the last few dauys have been extra good for MW reception, the
moon is in Scorpio?

The surprise is that rates are as stable as they are, not the reverse.

cheers
Patrick.