Tiscali rubbish customer service

Old February 2nd 08, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Rogers

Default Tiscali rubbish customer service

A mate of mine new to computers has been trying for the last week to connect
to Tiscali broadband. I went round about 10 days ago to set him up. Seemed
to work OK but by the next day the connection had gone. I think he thought
I'd set it up wrong.

I went round to help him and I could couldn't get it to connect. Rang their
customer services to be told there was a problem 'at the exchange'

Since then my friend has tried to connect and tried to ring them (hung on
for an hour!!) Eventually he got through only to be told 'their' computers
were down!!!

Surely they are in breach of contract and he can cancel???? I thought that
Orange (who I'm on and have had few problems) were supposed to be poor but
Tiscali are just rubbish!!!

Any ideas??

Tim

Old February 2nd 08, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Smith

"Tim Rogers" wrote in message
A mate of mine new to computers has been trying for the last week to
connect to Tiscali broadband. I went round about 10 days ago to set him up.

Why? All he had to do was put the CD in the computer and look at the
picture to connect the supplied modem. It is VERY simple to follow.

Seemed to work OK but by the next day the connection had gone. I think he
thought I'd set it up wrong.

That is why you should never get involved, you will become a 24hour support
line!

I went round to help him and I could couldn't get it to connect. Rang
their customer services to be told there was a problem 'at the exchange'

That's fair enough, so you know what the problem is. Complain to BT.

Since then my friend has tried to connect and tried to ring them (hung on
for an hour!!) Eventually he got through only to be told 'their' computers
were down!!!

Quite funny that! It's the classic excuse.

Surely they are in breach of contract and he can cancel???? I thought that
Orange (who I'm on and have had few problems) were supposed to be poor but
Tiscali are just rubbish!!!

Any ideas??

Tim

Tiscali are not in Breach Of Contract. They are providing a service, but
the fault is at the BT exchange as they told you. So WHY is your friend
calling Tiscali and not using his common sense and calling BT to complain.
If Tiscali and BT ignore him, he can make complaints to the regulator.
Perhaps you can Google for the details on his behalf.

Old February 2nd 08, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Rogers

"Pete Smith" wrote in message

"Tim Rogers" wrote in message
A mate of mine new to computers has been trying for the last week to
connect to Tiscali broadband. I went round about 10 days ago to set him
up.

Why? All he had to do was put the CD in the computer and look at the
picture to connect the supplied modem. It is VERY simple to follow.

Seemed to work OK but by the next day the connection had gone. I think he
thought I'd set it up wrong.

That is why you should never get involved, you will become a 24hour
support line!

True (to an extent). My friend has never used a computer before so he hasn't
got a clue why it isn't working!!! In fact Tiscali just sent him a CD and a
letter with no instructions as to what to do. I know it's obvious to you and
I as to what to do but not everybody is a computer WizKid!!!

[...]

Er. Why should he complain to BT his 'contract' is with Tiscali for his
internet why should he go to a third party. If Tiscali cannot provide the
service he has paid for then he should be able to cancel.

Tim

Old February 2nd 08, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Walter

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 16:47:04 -0000, "Pete Smith"
wrote:

"Tim Rogers" wrote in message
[...]

Try using your common sense his contract is with Tiscali and they are
the peaple he should complain to.

Any fault at the exchange should be chased up by them not him,and they
should keep him informed not give some bull**** about computers down
Old February 2nd 08, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Pete Smith wrote:
"Tim Rogers" wrote in message

I went round to help him and I could couldn't get it to connect. Rang
their customer services to be told there was a problem 'at the exchange'

That's fair enough, so you know what the problem is. Complain to BT.

Why? And about what?
Old February 2nd 08, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Pete Smith wrote:
"Tim Rogers" wrote in message
A mate of mine new to computers has been trying for the last week to
connect to Tiscali broadband. I went round about 10 days ago to set him up.

Why? All he had to do was put the CD in the computer and look at the
picture to connect the supplied modem. It is VERY simple to follow.

That's not strictly true is it? Some people just aren't IT literate. It
might seem strange to us, but it probably seems strange to a pianist
that most of us are tone deaf.

Seemed to work OK but by the next day the connection had gone. I think he
thought I'd set it up wrong.

That is why you should never get involved, you will become a 24hour support
line!

Glad you're not one of my friends! Maybe you should follow the same
approach here?

I went round to help him and I could couldn't get it to connect. Rang
their customer services to be told there was a problem 'at the exchange'

That's fair enough, so you know what the problem is. Complain to BT.

You're showing your ignorance again, most of Tiscali's recent problems
are due to them unbundling customers onto Tiscali equipment at the
exchange and NOT using BT.

Since then my friend has tried to connect and tried to ring them (hung on
for an hour!!) Eventually he got through only to be told 'their' computers
were down!!!

Quite funny that! It's the classic excuse.

Funny someone was on hold for an hour @ 10p a minute then couldn't be
assisted? Er, ok....

Surely they are in breach of contract and he can cancel???? I thought that
Orange (who I'm on and have had few problems) were supposed to be poor but
Tiscali are just rubbish!!!

Any ideas??

Tim

Tiscali are not in Breach Of Contract. They are providing a service, but
the fault is at the BT exchange as they told you. So WHY is your friend
calling Tiscali and not using his common sense and calling BT to complain.
If Tiscali and BT ignore him, he can make complaints to the regulator.
Perhaps you can Google for the details on his behalf.

Actually Tiscali, if it's BT's equipment, should escalate to BT. But
it's a fair bat it's not.

The only thing that makes Tiscali move is escalation - snail mail's slow
but writing to their customer services in the UK seems to help. Their
offshore call centers aren't worth speaking to - especially when you're
paying.

Quick question though, are news group nob heads like you as obnoxious in
real life? I mean, if someone's got a problem either help them or keep
quiet.

Old February 3rd 08, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

wrote:

Tiscali are not in Breach Of Contract. They are providing a service, but
the fault is at the BT exchange as they told you. So WHY is your friend
calling Tiscali and not using his common sense and calling BT to complain.
If Tiscali and BT ignore him, he can make complaints to the regulator.
Perhaps you can Google for the details on his behalf.

Tiscali MAY be in breach of contract. They haven't supplied the
service that the OP's pal contracted with them to do. The fact that it
MAY be a BT fault is immaterial - the OP's pal doesn't have a contract
with BT to supply him with a broadband service. However Tiscali DOES
have a contract with BT - can you spot the subtle difference?

Tiscali need to get the BT problem sorted - if it doesn't and they are
unable to fulfil the terms of their contract withe the OP's pal then I
suggest he has a way out and can go looking for another ISP

--
Cheers

Peter
Old February 8th 08, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 2 Feb, 16:47, "Pete Smith" wrote:
"Tim Rogers" wrote in message

[...]

I am so amused about your total faith that the chaps in Tiscali
Support will actually be correct about what they tell you.
they certainly fooled you