Advice

Old February 2nd 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Goran Tomas

Default Advice

Hello!

I'm new in UK and I'd like to get a fast and reliable broadband
connection. Through my research I narrowed it down to two providers:
BE and UK Online (possibly Demon as well). What I'd like to hear are
user experiences with BE (and others mentioned)? How good are they,
are speeds as advertised, any problems with downloads such as
torrents, any problems with Skype, how fast is ping etc? Thanks for
your input!

Regards,
Goran Tomas
Old February 3rd 08, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Goran Tomas" wrote in message
Hello!

I'm new in UK and I'd like to get a fast and reliable broadband
connection. Through my research I narrowed it down to two providers:
BE and UK Online (possibly Demon as well). What I'd like to hear are
user experiences with BE (and others mentioned)? How good are they,
are speeds as advertised, any problems with downloads such as
torrents, any problems with Skype, how fast is ping etc? Thanks for
your input!

Regards,
Goran Tomas

Try Zen http://www.zen.co.uk/ though if you need technical support you will
have to learn the Lancashire accent .... not good if English isn't your
first language!!!

--
Graham J

Old February 3rd 08, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Goran Tomas wrote:

Hello!

I'm new in UK and I'd like to get a fast and reliable broadband
connection. Through my research I narrowed it down to two providers:
BE and UK Online (possibly Demon as well). What I'd like to hear are
user experiences with BE (and others mentioned)? How good are they,
are speeds as advertised, any problems with downloads such as
torrents, any problems with Skype, how fast is ping etc? Thanks for
your input!

IDnet are good.

Graham

Old February 3rd 08, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 11:35:54 -0000, "Graham J"
wrote:

"Goran Tomas" wrote in message
Hello!

I'm new in UK and I'd like to get a fast and reliable broadband
connection. Through my research I narrowed it down to two providers:
BE and UK Online (possibly Demon as well). What I'd like to hear are
user experiences with BE (and others mentioned)? How good are they,
are speeds as advertised, any problems with downloads such as
torrents, any problems with Skype, how fast is ping etc? Thanks for
your input!

Regards,
Goran Tomas

Try Zen http://www.zen.co.uk/ though if you need technical support you will
have to learn the Lancashire accent .... not good if English isn't your
first language!!!

IDnet is better and technical support is better also and on a
freephone number and they do not demand payment by DD.
Old February 3rd 08, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

wrote:

[...]

Your ISP du jour, then, Ron?

Until the next one...
euthanasia recommended. ]
Old February 3rd 08, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AlanF

Goran Tomas wrote:
Hello!

I'm new in UK and I'd like to get a fast and reliable broadband
connection. Through my research I narrowed it down to two providers:
BE and UK Online (possibly Demon as well). What I'd like to hear are
user experiences with BE (and others mentioned)? How good are they,
are speeds as advertised, any problems with downloads such as
torrents, any problems with Skype, how fast is ping etc? Thanks for
your input!

Regards,
Goran Tomas

I'm with BE (Pro) seems good value for money now that it has come down
from 40pm .

No complaints - no sign of any trafffic shaping, port blocking and as
far as I can determine seems to run at full throttle all the time.

I continue to have my phone line supplied via BT.

Things to watch...

You dont get any email or web space (unless you pay more) - does not
bother me as I run my own web and email servers.

O2 bought BE sometime ago so there is a chance they may load the
infrastructure at some future date. At present it seems very stable and
speedy.

As its LLU if you wanted to migrate back to BT you may lose you
connection for some days whilst it is migrated back.

Support is offshore in Eastern Europe. The couple of times I have had
cause to use it have been very effecient. No complaints.

I would recommend.
Old February 3rd 08, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:54:13 +0000, AlanF wrote:

I can determine seems to run at full throttle all the time.

You renting a room from BT in your exchange then ? .
Old February 3rd 08, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sideshow Bob

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 14:42:56 -0800, Goran Tomas wrote:

and UK Online ... How good are they, are
speeds as advertised, any problems with downloads such as torrents, any
problems with Skype, how fast is ping etc? Thanks for your input!

I've had a generally good experience with UKOnline, I'm only on the cheap
1MB plan (I'm a long way from the exchange), and I don't play games, so I
can't really comment on the speed and latency. I do do a lot of file
sharing and downloads, about 16 hours a day, and I've never had any
problems with that.

On the few times I've had a technical problem (due to BT doing something
in the exchange), I've found their support to be pretty helpful too. It's
UK based and non-robotic.
Old February 3rd 08, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dirk

It is the same when your first language is English and you have to speak to
an Indian call center.
It is worse when your first language isn't English and you have to speak to
Indian call center and try to resolve a problem in English..

Old February 3rd 08, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"Goran Tomas" wrote in message
Hello!

I'm new in UK and I'd like to get a fast and reliable broadband
connection. Through my research I narrowed it down to two providers:
BE and UK Online (possibly Demon as well). What I'd like to hear are
user experiences with BE (and others mentioned)? How good are they,
are speeds as advertised, any problems with downloads such as
torrents, any problems with Skype, how fast is ping etc? Thanks for
your input!

Regards,
Goran Tomas

I've been with Be for just over 18 months and no major problems with speed,
torrents or anything come to that

18 per month for unlimited and a static IP is not bad IMO