Printer on Orange livebox..?

Old February 3rd 08, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Default Printer on Orange livebox..?

A friend has an Orange livebox and a laptop which she got free with the
deal. She's had this setup for a few months now and is reasonably happy
with it, but she really needs a printer.

I said she could have my old Brother HL-1050 mono laser, which I no longer
use since I got a colour laser printer, but the question is how best to
set it up..? I believe the livebox has a USB port, could I use this to
plug the printer into so she can print over the wireless link without
having to cart the laptop to wherever the printer is before she prints..?

Anyone done this and can point me in the direction of any info..? I don't
have the livebox info to hand where I am at the moment.

Cheers,

Ivor

Old February 3rd 08, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Ivor Jones wrote on 03/02/2008 :
A friend has an Orange livebox and a laptop which she got free with the deal.
She's had this setup for a few months now and is reasonably happy with it,
but she really needs a printer.

I said she could have my old Brother HL-1050 mono laser, which I no longer
use since I got a colour laser printer, but the question is how best to set
it up..? I believe the livebox has a USB port, could I use this to plug the
printer into so she can print over the wireless link without having to cart
the laptop to wherever the printer is before she prints..?

Anyone done this and can point me in the direction of any info..? I don't
have the livebox info to hand where I am at the moment.

USB "A" port
This is located underneath the 1 and 2 buttons on the back of the
Livebox. This port is for a USB Printer or storage medium (e.g.
external HDD), to turn the Livebox into a printer and/or file server,
as it were. A printer or HDD connected in this manner can theoretically
be used by any device connected to the Livebox, including wireless
laptops. Settings regarding this can be found under "LivePrinter" on
the configuration screens of the Livebox. Unfortunately, this is not
currently supported by Orange but hopefully it will be soon.

Old February 3rd 08, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message

[snip]

: : USB "A" port
: : This is located underneath the 1 and 2 buttons on the
: : back of the Livebox. This port is for a USB Printer or
: : storage medium (e.g. external HDD), to turn the Livebox
: : into a printer and/or file server, as it were. A
: : printer or HDD connected in this manner can
: : theoretically be used by any device connected to the
: : Livebox, including wireless laptops. Settings regarding
: : this can be found under "LivePrinter" on the
: : configuration screens of the Livebox. Unfortunately,
: : this is not currently supported by Orange but hopefully
: : it will be soon.

Thanks for that. As to it not being supported, I found this page

http://livebox.tomhallam.co.uk/tutor...veprinter.html

which suggests it might work, well only one way to find out, I'll try it
when I next see her and let you know.

Ivor