What is IAX ?

Old February 5th 08, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Hammond

Default What is IAX ?

Stephen ?

--

Lift share day 14th June www.liftshare.org

Old February 5th 08, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns

On 05/02/2008 11:49, Stephen Hammond wrote:

What is IAX ?

it is a VoIP protocol, an alternative to to SIP.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX

Old February 5th 08, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Stephen Hammond wrote:
Stephen ?

No it's not a Stephen. It is in fact a VOIP protocol.

Google IAX

Results 1 - 10 of about 854,000 for iax. (0.18 seconds)

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-Asterisk_eXchange
Old February 5th 08, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
On 05/02/2008 11:49, Stephen Hammond wrote:

What is IAX ?

it is a VoIP protocol, an alternative to to SIP.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX

And pronounced "eeks" aparently...

Not been around as long as SIP or h.323, but lightweight and easy to get
through firewalls. The code is open, free, etc. too. Originally intended
to connect Asterisk boxes together, there are a small number of soft-phones
(eg. Zoiper) which support it and an ATA (The IAXy) and a small number
of desk phones supporting it too.

I've dozens of asterisk boxes talking to each other via IAX and it "just
works" for me with most sensible routers. For "trunking" between systems
the overhead is less than SIP which helps squeeze every bit out of
marginal lines (when I have to).

Gordon
Old February 5th 08, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Hammond

Stephen ?

No it's not a Stephen. It is in fact a VOIP protocol.

Google IAX

Results 1 - 10 of about 854,000 for iax. (0.18 seconds)

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-Asterisk_eXchange

OK thanks I'm trying to use my ag188 with 1899.com iax it doesn't seem to
work has any one had any luck with this ?

Stephen

Old February 5th 08, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Stephen Hammond wrote:

Stephen ?

No it's not a Stephen. It is in fact a VOIP protocol.

Google IAX

Results 1 - 10 of about 854,000 for iax. (0.18 seconds)

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-Asterisk_eXchange

OK thanks I'm trying to use my ag188 with 1899.com iax it doesn't seem to
work has any one had any luck with this ?

Huh?

The ag188 is an ATA - Analogue temrinal Adapter. You plug an ordinary
analogue phone into it, then you plug it into your Broadband connection
via Ethernet, then you register with a VoIP provider, then make/take
calls...

1899.com is an indirect access service where you dial a prefix (1889)
before dialling a number. It's designed to work on UK landlines (and
probably only those supplied by BT)

Unless I'm missing something, these two simply don't mix.

Gordon
Old February 5th 08, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Hammond

[...]

http://www.1899.com/voip_extra.php
Configure an IAX softphone as follows:

User Name:
1899 + your phonenumber

Password:
your 1899 customer number

IAX Server:
iax.1899.com

Old February 5th 08, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Stephen Hammond wrote:

[...]

Well I guess I missed that, but still can't find a link to it on their
site - maybe you only get to it when registered...

So what happens when you try to register? It seems fairly
straightforward to me.

Gordon
Old February 5th 08, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Gordon Henderson pretended :

http://www.1899.com/voip_extra.php
Configure an IAX softphone as follows:

User Name:
1899 + your phonenumber

Password:
your 1899 customer number

IAX Server:
iax.1899.com

Well I guess I missed that, but still can't find a link to it on their
site - maybe you only get to it when registered...

Unless they've reintroduced it, 1899's IAX service was turned off many
moons ago.

Old February 5th 08, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve

Have you ticked 'Enable Register' on the IAX setup page? - it's easy to miss

Have you port forwarded: 4569?

Does the AG188 work in SIP mode with http://www.1899.com/voip_extra.php ?
thus verifying your Account Name and Password etc etc.

Steve

.. .