Wireless not working on Linksys WAG325N

Old February 6th 08, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Wireless not working on Linksys WAG325N

Just a day or two ago I posted in here that I'd seen good reports and
reviews of the Linksys WAG325N wireless router, so much so that I ordered
one to replace my dying existing router. Well, it arrived yesterday but the
wireless side of it doesn't seem to be working.

It came with Firmware 1.00.08 so I flashed it to the latest available
(1.00.11) but the wireless still doesn't work.

I've tried every available channel and, because I have no wireless N
adapters (only wireless G), I've tried the "Radio Band" at both standard
20MHz and wide 40MHz - but that doesn't work either.

Having had a WAG54GS and been very pleased with that, I'm surprised and
very, VERY, annoyed that the wireless network mode of the WAG325N is just
either "Mixed" or "Disabled" and not selectable as B, G, or N, because I
think that that may have something to do with it.

Also, the encryption method is listed in the drop-down box as "TKIP or AES"
and it seems to be automatically chosen, rather than the user being able to
choose TKIP or to choose AES - maybe this has something to do with it as
well.

Anyway, here's a description of the problem:

The wireless seems to be working in a "burst" or "pulse" mode somehow. When
my laptop sees a signal from the router it is only running at 24Mbps and it
is only there for about 5 to 10 seconds, then it drops out for about 5 or 10
seconds, and so the cycle continues.

If you look here www.thehewitts.eu/wifi.html you'll see a screen-dump of my
wireless adapter software showing signal strength and quality - it rises to
100% and then drops, 100% and then drops etc., etc. It is the same wherever
I take my laptop in the house - near the router or far from the router makes
no difference (further away, the strength and quality drop as you would
expect - might even get down to 20% but the "pulse" is still there).

And it is definitely not any form of interference because I can change
between my BT Voyager 2091 wireless router and my BT Home Hub, both of which
work perfectly wirelessly - the problem is with the Linksys WAG325N.

Have I got a faulty router that needs to be returned to the store, or is
there some setting I'm missing somewhere?

Thanks

John