Orange POP and webmail

Old February 6th 08, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Leo9

Default Orange POP and webmail

I've been with Freeserve / Wanadoo / Orange broadband for years and have an
fsnet.co.uk email address, which I normally access through OE but when
Orange webmail came along I signed up to be able to access my emails through
that too. The password is the same for both. If I move to another ISP, will
I still be able to go to Orange webmail and see any emails that may have
been sent to me at my (old) fsnet.co.uk address?

Apols if this has been asked (and answered) before. I've tried searching.
Thanks very much for any responses . . .

Old February 6th 08, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:15:21 -0000, "Leo9" wrote:

I've been with Freeserve / Wanadoo / Orange broadband for years and have an
fsnet.co.uk email address, which I normally access through OE but when
Orange webmail came along I signed up to be able to access my emails through
that too. The password is the same for both. If I move to another ISP, will
I still be able to go to Orange webmail and see any emails that may have
been sent to me at my (old) fsnet.co.uk address?

When you terminate an account, they normally terminate your e-mail address. Any
mail sent to it will be bounced and you won't be able to access Orange webmail.
--

Martin

Old February 6th 08, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Martin wrote:

: When you terminate an account, they normally terminate your e-mail address.
: Any mail sent to it will be bounced and you won't be able to access Orange
: webmail.

This just is not true! As Orange have a dial-up service cancelling a broadband
account with them leaves the e-mail address existing for this. The PAYG
account needs to be connected to every few months to keep it from being
deleted. E-Mail can be collected via POP3 from any new ISP - I have done
this from Sky Broadband for the last 12 months.

Don't know about web-mail.
Old February 6th 08, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:32:54 +0000 (UTC), Brian McIlwrath
wrote:

Martin wrote:

: When you terminate an account, they normally terminate your e-mail address.
: Any mail sent to it will be bounced and you won't be able to access Orange
: webmail.

This just is not true! As Orange have a dial-up service cancelling a broadband
account with them leaves the e-mail address existing for this. The PAYG
account needs to be connected to every few months to keep it from being
deleted. E-Mail can be collected via POP3 from any new ISP - I have done
this from Sky Broadband for the last 12 months.

Don't know about web-mail.

It's what happened to me when I terminated a Tiscali account.
--

Martin

Old February 6th 08, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

wrote:

Martin wrote:

: When you terminate an account, they normally terminate your e-mail
address.
: Any mail sent to it will be bounced and you won't be able to access
Orange
: webmail.

This just is not true! As Orange have a dial-up service cancelling a
broadband
account with them leaves the e-mail address existing for this. The PAYG
account needs to be connected to every few months to keep it from being
deleted. E-Mail can be collected via POP3 from any new ISP - I have done
this from Sky Broadband for the last 12 months.

Don't know about web-mail.

It's what happened to me when I terminated a Tiscali account.
--

Martin

I think the answer is both of you are correct! If the ISP is on the ball it
will cancel everything. It it isn't it will leave access open for a while
until they get around to doing the housekeeping (whenever).

Bill Ridgeway

Old February 6th 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
:
: It's what happened to me when I terminated a Tiscali account.

: I think the answer is both of you are correct! If the ISP is on the ball it
: will cancel everything. It it isn't it will leave access open for a while
: until they get around to doing the housekeeping (whenever).

The original question *WAS*, however, about Orange!

They won't terminate an e-mail address - as they provide a dial-up
service which is still active after Broadband is cancelled!
Old February 6th 08, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken Preston

On Feb 6, 6:11 pm, Brian McIlwrath wrote:

The original question *WAS*, however, about Orange!

They won't terminate an e-mail address - as they provide a dial-up
service which is still active after Broadband is cancelled!

but what if you don't dial in for say, 180 days?

Ken Preston

Old February 6th 08, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Borland

[second attempt to post]
In article
..com, Ken Preston writes
On Feb 6, 6:11 pm, Brian McIlwrath wrote:

The original question *WAS*, however, about Orange!

They won't terminate an e-mail address - as they provide a dial-up
service which is still active after Broadband is cancelled!

but what if you don't dial in for say, 180 days?

I believe there is provision on their website to resuscitate a dial-
up service which has been cancelled (for non-use for 90 days). I
don't know how long *that* extends for. I play safe by dialling-in
on the 1st of every other month - every three months would just go
over the limit.

--
Bill Borland

Old February 7th 08, 12:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Wade

"Leo9" wrote in message ...
I've been with Freeserve / Wanadoo / Orange broadband for years and have
an fsnet.co.uk email address, which I normally access through OE but when
Orange webmail came along I signed up to be able to access my emails
through that too. The password is the same for both. If I move to another
ISP, will I still be able to go to Orange webmail and see any emails that
may have been sent to me at my (old) fsnet.co.uk address?

I still use OE to read freeserve mail, using multiple accounts. My ISP
permits me to set my from address to an fsnet or freeserve address.

Old February 7th 08, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Wade wrote:
"Leo9" wrote in message ...
I've been with Freeserve / Wanadoo / Orange broadband for years and have
an fsnet.co.uk email address, which I normally access through OE but when
Orange webmail came along I signed up to be able to access my emails
through that too. The password is the same for both. If I move to another
ISP, will I still be able to go to Orange webmail and see any emails that
may have been sent to me at my (old) fsnet.co.uk address?

I still use OE to read freeserve mail, using multiple accounts. My ISP
permits me to set my from address to an fsnet or freeserve address.

Apols if this has been asked (and answered) before. I've tried searching.
Thanks very much for any responses . . .

The final answer is to register your pwn doamin,which is pretty much
dirt cheap,and redirect a mail address to whatever you happen to have
available, or if you actually buy some mailboxes, have your email
totally separate from all actual connectivity issues.

My mac disk died yesterday..I had to reinstate about 10 different email
accounts..out of a potential several hundred ...