1and1 hosting, are they idiots???

Old February 7th 08, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Default 1and1 hosting, are they idiots???

Do you ever subscribe to a service, and feel very quickly like you have made
a mistake???

I have been running my own exchange 2003 server, allowing me to use my nokie
e61 phone with exchange activesync, ie appointments, emails and contacts. I
have been looking for an alternative, as running the server 24/7 costs in
electricity about 5 to 8 a month in electricity alone... I came upon 1and1
hosting. They have what seems like an excellent offer 5.99 a month for
hosting the domain and providing access to exchange server mailbox.

Before i signed up, i emailed them, i will be upgrading my phone soon and
was wanting html email access, this is *only* available through exchange
2007, so i asked specifically if they used exchange 2007, as i wished to
recieve html emails.

I got a quick response, with a positive, yes they do use 2007 and thus i can
access hmtl emails.

Well, signed up, they wanted 12months in advance, paid it. Accessed the
service, uploaded my pst data but my wm6 phone which i was testing was
unable to recieve html emails.

Checking into it, i am actually on a exchange 2003 server.

I emailed them my concerns:

here is the conversation, i have had today through numerous emails (they are
quick to respond to emails), is it just me or is the company a shower of
****es??

Gaz

---------
Me:
Just signed up, account xxxxxxx, before i signed up i made an enquiry
about exchange 2007... But it seems i am connected to 2003 exchange
server, not 2007.
Can this be sorted?

1and1:
We understand your concern. However, what we have right now is Exchange
Server 2003.

Me:
Hi, here is a copy of the email i received enquiring *before* I signed
up. I specifically asked about exchange 2007, look at response to
question 2 and the answer seems clear. If this is not so, *when* will
you be moving to server 2007??
I do feel slightly mislead.

1and1:
We are now using exchnage 2007, the answer in the question number 2 is
correct.

Me:
sorry, i seem to be going around in circles, if you are using server
2007, how come i am logging into server 2003, and html emails on my
mobile device are still disabled?

1and1:
With regards to your concner, can you please elaborate it so that we can
double check and investigate this case further.
If you could also provide us the domain name/contract id number that you
are referring then specify
the things that you really wanted so we could proceed on the next level
of process.

Me:
I have just signed up for the exchange mailbox, before i signed up i
checked that exchange 2007 was used, as i was specifically wanting html
emails. This was confirmed for me. While syncing up, i have not been
able to access html emails, i have tried this on two different wm6
devices.
I notice when i click outlook web access, the login is quite clearly
an exchange server 03, not 07. Html emails are only available on 07.
I do hope this is just a minor error, and that i was not mislead on my
initial enquiry.

1and1:
As what you have mention, you wanted to access youe exchange mail
account vie mobile. If so, you need to access that on Outlool Mobile
Access.
ActiveSync is a software application that allows you to synchronise
information between your local Outlook client and your mobile device.
Normally, a local ActiveSync software CD is included when you buy your
communication device.
Furthermore, ActiveSync is integrated into Exchange server 2003, so that
you have the option of directly synchronising information between your
mobile device and the exchange mailbox, if you happen to be on the road
for example and do not have access to a PC.

Old February 7th 08, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meggahurtz

"Gaz" wrote in message
Do you ever subscribe to a service, and feel very quickly like you have
made a mistake???

Where do you want me to start Gaz ;0)

--
Sign upto Plus.net? You must be mad!!!!

Old February 7th 08, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Thu, 7 Feb 2008 00:02:06, Gaz wrote:

i wished to recieve html emails.

Oh dear.

--
Jim Crowther
Old February 7th 08, 02:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"Jim Crowther" wrote in message
nvalid...
In uk.telecom.broadband, on Thu, 7 Feb 2008 00:02:06, Gaz wrote:

i wished to recieve html emails.

Oh dear.

--
Jim Crowther

The problem with text emails, is that so many emails from companies now are
in html, it is impossible to read them properly on a handheld device as they
just come out as junk. My mobile phone is now the primary device that i use
to send and recieve emails.

Gaz

Old February 7th 08, 02:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:23:29, Gaz wrote:

"Jim Crowther" wrote in message
. invalid...
In uk.telecom.broadband, on Thu, 7 Feb 2008 00:02:06, Gaz wrote:

i wished to recieve html emails.

Oh dear.

--
Jim Crowther

The problem with text emails, is that so many emails from companies now are
in html, it is impossible to read them properly on a handheld device as they
just come out as junk. My mobile phone is now the primary device that i use
to send and recieve emails.

That would seem to be a problem with your mobile phone, doesn't it
display the plain-text version? However... :

Just tell them in reply that due to recent security alerts, for both
your (and their) security only plain-text will do, order of the
Post-master General (or whoever). Don't give in to them, get them
clued-in instead. And get them to tell everyone in their address-book,
they sound like the type who would follow such advice.

--
Jim Crowther
Old February 7th 08, 06:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Gaz wrote:

Do you ever subscribe to a service, and feel very quickly like you have made
a mistake???

Yes.

VM broadband. Luckily I was only on a trial. A trial of my nerves and patience
in fact.

Graham

Old February 7th 08, 06:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Jim Crowther wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Thu, 7 Feb 2008 00:02:06, Gaz wrote:

i wished to recieve html emails.

Oh dear.

Uh ?

Graham

Old February 7th 08, 06:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Gaz wrote:

"Jim Crowther" wrote
Gaz wrote:

i wished to recieve html emails.

Oh dear.

The problem with text emails, is that so many emails from companies now are
in html,

Exactly.

Graham

Old February 7th 08, 07:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:53:51 UTC, Jim Crowther
wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:23:29, Gaz wrote:
"Jim Crowther" wrote in message
. invalid...
In uk.telecom.broadband, on Thu, 7 Feb 2008 00:02:06, Gaz wrote:

i wished to recieve html emails.

Oh dear.

The problem with text emails, is that so many emails from companies now are
in html, it is impossible to read them properly on a handheld device as they
just come out as junk. My mobile phone is now the primary device that i use
to send and recieve emails.

That would seem to be a problem with your mobile phone, doesn't it
display the plain-text version? However... :

The problem, unfortunately, is that many companies seem to either: (a)
not include a text alternative or (b) include a text alternative that
says 'upgrade your email client'.

Grrrr....

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old February 7th 08, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kit

In article , Gaz
wrote:

Do you ever subscribe to a service, and feel very quickly like you have made
a mistake???

Write to their Managing Director Registered Office address, recorded
delivery, stating that as they misled you the contract is invalid and
you are no longer going to give them any further payments. Include a
printout of the email they sent telling you that they use 2007.

Tell them that unless within 14 days they return any money you've
already paid to them you will begin a County Court action.

If you paid by credit card send a copy of that letter to your card
company and tell them that they must not allow any further debits by
1and1 hosting or you will include the credit card company in the County
Court action.

If 1and1 do not refund you within the 14 days do not allow any delaying
tactics by them. Go online and begin the County Court Small Claims
action. It will cost 30 but 1and1 will have to repay that as well when
judgment is made against them.

Kit