Virgin ... what do you think?

Old February 7th 08, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron

Default Virgin ... what do you think?

I recently upgraded from a NTL dialup to a Virgin 8mb package. I have been
through the settling down period during which speeds would sometimes run at
2, 3 or even 4mb. At other times they were much lower, 300kbs, or even
200kbs. I expected that. Now I am consistently on a speed a little above
400kbs, the "minimum" level which is considered acceptable, and since the
line clearly can support a much higher speed, I feel a little annoyed that I
am being given what seems to be the minimum VM can get away with.

I have ordered a new microfilter to see if that makes any difference. I
have already done all the things normally advised, none of which make any
difference. The downstream attenuation is about 34db, line noise about 9db,
the connection speed over 6mb.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be interested, though I realise there are
probably thousands of people in exactly the same position.

Old February 7th 08, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Studio

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

Read the comments posted he
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...rd=virgin_adsl
or he
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...d=virgin_cable

Old February 7th 08, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

You would have to get 'em well below the age of consent!
Not worth the hassle.

Old February 7th 08, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl Waring

Ron wrote:
[...]

Are you using the provided USB modem? If so, then dump it as they're really
crap. Get yourself an ADSL Modem/Router like the Netgear DG834.

My dad did this and his connection speed more than doubled, instantly.

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide:

Old February 7th 08, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

I went down exactly the same road as you with NTL dialup which I had for
about 7 years to Virgin (ADSL) and have just changed to PLusnet as my 12
month conract was up. I am 300 metres from the exchange and sync is 7mbps.
Virgin gave me up to 6.6mbps but quite often far lower and even down to
150kbps with the average in the last few weeks with them being about 1Mbps.
Same setup and same modem gives me between 6.5Mbps and 7Mbps. The only
queries I have had with Plusnet was regarding my webspace and this was
addressed within an hour or so unlike Virgins a week or two.

Mike

Old February 7th 08, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 08:06:30 GMT,it is alleged that "Ron"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

[...]

My experience of virgin when it comes to dsl is they are either
criminally incompetent, or just want to convince dsl customers that
their lines are bad.

The VM dsl service is absolute crap. I was syncing at 1Mbit, (roughly
once every 12 mins, as their service wouldn't stay connected) they
claimed that was the max the line could do, which was a blatant lie,
as the same line is now reaching 4Mbit. Despite syncing at
1Mbit/second, I was getting downloads estimated at ~256k or less by
speedtesters, and below dialup speeds at peak times. They also do
'traffic shaping' without actually informing anyone (unfortunately
most isps seem to think this is acceptable these days).

I am still persuing the claim from them for the money spent on their
premium rate 'support' line (on the grounds they didn't know how to
fix it, so 'support' was a misdescription).

Yes, I'm extremely biased against them due to experience, but I have
to say, that was just with the DSL. I have no idea what their cable
service is like, apparently it's quite good for some people and quite
crap for others judging by comments here

My advice is to run a mile from VM Dsl. Apparently Sky have a good
reputation but I'll leave that to people with experience thereof, I
switched to a professional supplier (WebTapestry) who charge 3x as
much, but provide 300times better service. Nearly 30 pounds/month is
out of most peoples' budget however.

--
_
( ) ASCII ribbon campaign against html e-mail
Old February 7th 08, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Ron wrote:

[...]

Virgin are rubbish.

Graham

Old February 7th 08, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Carl Waring wrote:

Ron wrote:
[...]

That WIL NOT explain his poor download speed Mr Virgin Media Apologist.

BTW, why do VM supply a CRAP (according to you) modem ? Your words - not mine !

Graham

Old February 7th 08, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bornfree

On 7 Feb, 12:25, Eeyore
wrote:
Ron wrote:
[...]

I think that just about settles it!! *big grin*
Old February 8th 08, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl Waring

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Carl Waring wrote:

Ron wrote:
[...]

Most USB modems *are* a pile of crap. Anyone will tell you that.

How else do you explain the increase in my fathers line-speed when I
replaced his crap USB Modem for an ADSL Modem/Router as mentioned in my
original post?

Just to recap, as you conveniently snipped it!

He *was* getting about the same speed I am (2MB) despite being on an 8MB
service; and this is from within spitting distance of the local exchange,
btw! When the USB was replaced with a Modem/Router this immediately shot up
to around 6MB.