Sky + sagem box problems

Old February 7th 08, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maxi

Default Sky + sagem box problems

I have a odd problem, I'm with sky broadband, using the new sagem box.
Intermittently while surfing a box pops up asking for username and password
to access whatever site I want. The type of box that comes up when you want
to log into the router settings.

I click cancel it gives me a 409 error or I enter the details it hangs but
sometimes accepts it and looks IE and then I reopen it and it works again.

I tried reinstalling everything, resetting router etc and still happens.

Anyone experienced similar or know what this may be about.

Just spent 45 minutes on the phone to sky who wasted my time scratching
their backsides while increasing my phone bill.

Appreciate any advice.
P.s. had a look on google and found nothing related to this.

Old February 7th 08, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maxi

"Maxi" wrote in message ...
I have a odd problem, I'm with sky broadband, using the new sagem box.
Intermittently while surfing a box pops up asking for username and password
to access whatever site I want. The type of box that comes up when you want
to log into the router settings.

I click cancel it gives me a 409 error or I enter the details it hangs but
sometimes accepts it and looks IE and then I reopen it and it works again.

I tried reinstalling everything, resetting router etc and still happens.

Anyone experienced similar or know what this may be about.

Just spent 45 minutes on the phone to sky who wasted my time scratching
their backsides while increasing my phone bill.

Appreciate any advice.
P.s. had a look on google and found nothing related to this.

Sorry that should read 401 error

Old February 7th 08, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Maxi wrote:
I have a odd problem, I'm with sky broadband, using the new sagem box.
Intermittently while surfing a box pops up asking for username and password
to access whatever site I want. The type of box that comes up when you want
to log into the router settings.

Thats because you are trying to access a site that is password protected.

Just like your router is password protected.

I click cancel it gives me a 409 error or I enter the details it hangs but
sometimes accepts it and looks IE and then I reopen it and it works again.

I tried reinstalling everything, resetting router etc and still happens.

Anyone experienced similar or know what this may be about.

Every day, when I try and access a password protected site.

It sounds like you are pretty new to the Internet...

Just spent 45 minutes on the phone to sky who wasted my time scratching
their backsides while increasing my phone bill.

Nothing to do with them. There are sites on the internet that want you
to register to view them, that's all. Sometimes this costs money,
sometimes its just so they can send you spam email.

Old February 7th 08, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maxi

Maxi wrote:
[...]

I'm trying to access non pasword protect sites like google and yahoo.

Old February 7th 08, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Maxi wrote:
Maxi wrote:
[...]

Is your 'inactivity timeout' still set?? It's a very common error

Old February 7th 08, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maxi

http://www.google.co.uk is not password protected.

Just like your router is password protected.

I click cancel it gives me a 409 error or I enter the details it hangs
but sometimes accepts it and looks IE and then I reopen it and it works
again.

I tried reinstalling everything, resetting router etc and still happens.

Anyone experienced similar or know what this may be about.

Every day, when I try and access a password protected site.

It sounds like you are pretty new to the Internet...

11 years so not to new.

Just spent 45 minutes on the phone to sky who wasted my time scratching
their backsides while increasing my phone bill.

Nothing to do with them. There are sites on the internet that want you to
register to view them, that's all. Sometimes this costs money, sometimes
its just so they can send you spam email.

Its everything to do with them as its their product I believe causing the
problem.

Old February 7th 08, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maxi

"kraftee" wrote in message
Maxi wrote:
Maxi wrote:
[...]

Had a look in the settings and couldn't find anything like that ?

Old February 8th 08, 04:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Thu, 7 Feb 2008 12:43:44, Maxi wrote:

I'm trying to access non pasword protect sites like google and yahoo.

You probably have some malware on board that is redirecting your web
requests. Not a new phenomenon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YapBrowser
(link provided from elsewhere much respected).

Run your (hopefully free and updated, if no to either all bets are off)
up-to-date AV and anti-malware stuff...

And practice Safe Hex in future. Like ditch OE.

--
Jim Crowther
Old February 8th 08, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Jim Crowther wrote:
In uk.telecom.broadband, on Thu, 7 Feb 2008 12:43:44, Maxi wrote:

I'm trying to access non pasword protect sites like google and
yahoo.

You probably have some malware on board that is redirecting your web
requests. Not a new phenomenon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YapBrowser (link provided from
elsewhere much respected).
Run your (hopefully free and updated, if no to either all bets are
off) up-to-date AV and anti-malware stuff...

And practice Safe Hex in future. Like ditch OE.

Nowt wrong with OE IF you practice Safe Hex, problem is most users
don't. You've got to remember most companies sites are designed to be
optimal wioth OE & there lies the rub. I use Mozilla & Safari as well
as OE & on some sites I have to resort to OE to get the most out of a
few sites I regualarly visit.