Advice wanted - likely speed obtainable?

Old February 7th 08, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin D. Pay

Default Advice wanted - likely speed obtainable?

Gentles -

I'm on the point of migrating to ADSL24 from F2S (call it the
Tiscali factor) and find myself in need of advice...

I'm currently on a fixed 1MB service, the same service that I've
had since I first took up broadband around 4 years ago. Max
hadn't been invented and 1MB was all that my line would support
according to F2S. (The F2S package also has a meagre 10GB/month
total peak time throughput limit, whereas ADSL24 have a
30GB/month peak *download only* limit for the same price.)

ADSL24 offer several packages, both fixed speed and Max. Is it
worth my going for a Max-based contract, given my router stats:

SNR down - 24

Attenuation down - 25

SNR up - 21.8

Attenuation up - 49.8

(The figures were taken at 7.00pm this evening and again at
11.00pm; none varied more than 0.2 in that time.)

Or would I be better off just going for their 1MB package,
replicating what I have now? Stability is more important to me
than raw speed (although a higher speed would of course always be
welcome ^_^ ).

Any thoughts from those who know about such things would be
welcomed...

Martin D. Pay
Will be sad to leave F2S, but preferring to do so now rather than
wait and find out I've been LLU'd by stealth, as I understand
that migrating from an LLU setup can be both difficult and
expensive...
Old February 8th 08, 01:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Martin D. Pay wrote:
Gentles -

I'm on the point of migrating to ADSL24 from F2S (call it the
Tiscali factor) and find myself in need of advice...

I'm currently on a fixed 1MB service, the same service that I've
had since I first took up broadband around 4 years ago. Max
hadn't been invented and 1MB was all that my line would support
according to F2S. (The F2S package also has a meagre 10GB/month
total peak time throughput limit, whereas ADSL24 have a
30GB/month peak *download only* limit for the same price.)

ADSL24 offer several packages, both fixed speed and Max. Is it
worth my going for a Max-based contract, given my router stats:

SNR down - 24

Attenuation down - 25

SNR up - 21.8

Attenuation up - 49.8

With figues like that expect about 5mb+ and possibly higher, certainly worth
an upgrade....

Gaz

Old February 8th 08, 05:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Fri, 8 Feb 2008 01:32:45, Gaz wrote:

Martin D. Pay wrote:
[...]

Indeed, I get 4Mbps with these dire figures - they have stayed
consistent with several routers, so they have some believability:

Operation Data Upstream Downstream

Noise Margin 20 dB 3 dB

Attenuation 62 dB 63 dB

That's with AAISP BTW... http://sod.ms is the memorable URL. Windows
users welcome...

--
Jim Crowther
Old February 8th 08, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Gaz wrote:
Martin D. Pay wrote:
[...]

Seconded, you have little to loose & with those figures you are not
going to be one of the few who actually go down in speed, just
remember that your connection may be flakey for the first couple of
weeks as it settles down & you won't go far wrong

Old February 9th 08, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin D. Pay

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 09:10:52 -0000, "kraftee"
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

Gaz wrote:
Martin D. Pay wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for the various replies. I have now applied for a MAC
- ADSL24 beckons...

Martin D. Pay
Who will be sorry in a way to leave (the unannounced (to me at
least) termination of the F2S DNS servers was the last straw)
what was previously an excellent ISP...