Broken ATA - recommend a replacement?

Old February 8th 08, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

Default Broken ATA - recommend a replacement?

Hi folks,

Shortly before Christmas I took the plunge and got a Grandstream 286
from eBay. Updated the firmware and it worked happily until a couple
of weeks ago. The original seller can't recall the place from where
he purchased it, and Grandstream won't honour direct warranty claims.
(Whether that's legal or not within the EU would also be interesting.)

On the premise that I'd prefer a working ATA to a brick, I was hoping
one of you could recommend me a cheap-ish replacement ATA, please?

The Grandstream 286 only allowed for one SIP provider, no dial plan, one
phone socket (and no POTS-side connection), so my minimum requirements
aren't complex. I'd /like/ multiple SIP providers, a dial plan that allows
me to have "local" numbers prefixed with 01423, and a per-call POTS/VoIP
selector that isn't simply "*" or "#". But I don't /need/ any of that.

I have a maximum budget of about 50, and I don't want to be tied in to a
specific VoIP provider. What I need from an ATA is to be able to connect
to at least one SIP provider, and to be able to use DTMF including "*"
and "#" during a call.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris
Old February 9th 08, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 13:06:42 +0000, Chris Davies
wrote:

[...]

The price of the SPA-3102 is reasonably priced and will permit up to 5
different outgoing providers and one (same as one of the outgoing)
incoming provider. The SPA-3102 will permit integration with a
landline also.
Broadbandstuff:-
http://tinyurl.com/2mnfxd
Alternatively you could look at a PAP2 and use voxalot.com to assist
in unlimited outgoing providers. The PAP2 has 2 separate lines.
Bewa Buy a new UNLOCKED PAP2. Don't go for secondhand ones on Ebay
etc. as they could well be unlocked Vonage boxes.
Broadbandstuff:-
http://tinyurl.com/2oud6w
Both the above ATAs have dial plans and so permit user friendly
dialling.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old February 10th 08, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheFug

wrote:

[...]

If you want a multitude of in en outgoing providers you can also use a
service like Mysipswitch, it's a new (and free) service, which i use
also, it has great support, and is also in the process of adding new
features, where you can have your say in..

--

The Fug.

( VoIP/SIP switched by: www.mysipswitch.com )
Old February 10th 08, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

TheFug wrote:
If you want a multitude of in en outgoing providers you can also use a
service like Mysipswitch, it's a new (and free) service, which i use
also, it has great support, and is also in the process of adding new
features, where you can have your say in..

Thanks for the suggestion... do you know what's in it for
mysipswitch? (They presumably need some sort of revenue stream.)

Chris
Old February 11th 08, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:50:10 +0000, Chris Davies
wrote:

TheFug wrote:
If you want a multitude of in en outgoing providers you can also use a
service like Mysipswitch, it's a new (and free) service, which i use
also, it has great support, and is also in the process of adding new
features, where you can have your say in..

Thanks for the suggestion... do you know what's in it for
mysipswitch? (They presumably need some sort of revenue stream.)

Chris

I suppose we can only guess. It is, as you can see from the site,
sponsored by Blueface - an Irish company.
It may be that they are benefitting by results of a research project
that may glean a commercial product and, possibly, they might get some
tax relief on it. It might also enhance their own commerical VoIP
system and so assist in retaining and pleasing their customers.
As the project appears to be maintained by volunteers that means that
a large slice of the potential running costs are eliminated. It could
prove a very good investment for Blueface - research without having to
pay the researchers but with an outcome of possible commerically
exploitable ideas.

---
Old February 11th 08, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheFug

wrote:

TheFug wrote:
[...]

I just use it sofar no complaints, it works, and very fine, i guess
you hear more complaints about paid serviceses, MySIPSwitch has a good
online status, on top of that it's free, so using it, is for everyone a
win win situation
You save buying expensive equipment, because you use the MySIPSwitch
features, also easy to use with WiFi phones, because you manage your
dialplan on your Mysipswitch logon via any web-browser.

Old February 12th 08, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

Brian A wrote:
The price of the SPA-3102 is reasonably priced and will permit up to 5
different outgoing providers and one (same as one of the outgoing)
incoming provider. The SPA-3102 will permit integration with a
landline also.

Thanks for that. I've now read around on the SPA-3102 and the PAP2.
However, what I'm struggling with, is to determine the difference in
features and/or reliability between them. I think I've got it, but
perhaps you could just confirm this?

SPA 3102 features (I think):
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=3473

* One FXS telephone port
* One FXO connection to PSTN
* One inbound VoIP provider
* Several (up to five?) outbound VoIP providers
* Controlled routing between PSTN and VoIP providers

PAP2 features (I think):
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=3508

* Two FXS telephone ports
* /No/ FXO connection to PSTN
* One inbound VoIP provider per FXS port (independent configs)
* Some (how many?) outbound VoIP providers

Based on that understanding, I've got a number of questions:

* SPA3102: is it easy (or possible) to switch between VoIP and PSTN
"on demand" from the phone handset? (How?)

* SPA3102: Why does it have two 100base-T ethernet ports?

* Is the choice of outbound VoIP provider determined by a
dialplan, or "on demand" from the phone handset?

* Do these devices work with, and provide, BT style CLID ?

* Do both these devices need a US style RJ11 to UK/BT style
telephone socket adapter for each FXS port, so that the phone
will ring?
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2370

* SPA3102: If the power fails, do you get a pass-through between
the FXS and FXO?

Many thanks for your help.
Chris
Old February 12th 08, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheFug

Brian A wrote:
[...]

you can set a (phone)button for that, but you can also set that in your
dialplan, for certain numbers, to be dialed over landline (like
emergency numbers)

* SPA3102: Why does it have two 100base-T ethernet ports?

That way, you can set it between your pc and ethernet,(in & out) or you
put it on its own lan port on the router. (then you only use one port)
That last option is the better one, QoS

* Is the choice of outbound VoIP provider determined by a
dialplan, or "on demand" from the phone handset?

You can do both, you can make a "smart" dialplan, or you make a "prefix"
like: *1 *2 by dialing *1[telephonenumber] = provider 1
*2[telephonenumber] =provider 2
* Do these devices work with, and provide, BT style CLID ?

the SPA3102 has a "trick"for that if you mean C(aller)ID

* Do both these devices need a US style RJ11 to UK/BT style
telephone socket adapter for each FXS port, so that the phone
will ring?
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2370

i guess you need the adapter for the UK standard

* SPA3102: If the power fails, do you get a pass-through between
the FXS and FXO?

Yes.

Many thanks for your help.
Chris

Old February 12th 08, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

TheFug submitted this idea :
* Do these devices work with, and provide, BT style CLID ?

the SPA3102 has a "trick"for that if you mean C(aller)ID

What do you mean by "trick"? Are you thinking about outbound CLI
presentation?

I think the OP was asking if the devices support the displaying of CLID
on the connected handsets. If that's the case, to the OP, yes!

Old February 12th 08, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

wrote:

TheFug wrote:
[...]

Voxalot is a paying version of this