E-mail via Web

Old February 8th 08, 09:19 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
michael adams

Default E-mail via Web

"alexander.keys1" wrote in message
Can anybody recommend a reliable Webmail service, i.e. where you can
have an e-mail address which you access via a website, to read and
send mail. I did use Hotmail until recently, but the website will not
load anymore. I phoned my ISP, 'Virgin Media' (formerly NTL), and got
a 'ntlworld.com' address, which is supposed to work via 'Outlook
Express', but basically it doesn't.

What did you do, to set up the new email account in
OE ?

Are you sure you're using the correct addresses for your
incoming and outgoing mail ? The POP3 and SMTP addresses on
the servers page - reached by clicking on the servers tab.
After choosing tools\accounts\mail
At a guess they may be pop3.ntlworld for incoming mail
and smtp.ntlworld for outgoing.

If you don't already know these they should be available
on the Virgin Help pages if they have any. They should step
you through setting up an email account in OE on their help pages
in any case.

I only ask because normally you choose your own email address -
the bit before the "@" - rather than being given one
by your ISP. I'm not sure what happens if the name's already
taken, maybe the ISP emails you.

michael adams

This address does seem to work via the Virgin Media website, except
that the text is too small to read, and there is no way to enlarge it.

Anyway, I'd like another service similar to Hotmail, so I can use my e-
mail from anywhere, and not be tied to any one ISP, as I may be
changing my phone/Internet package to BT, due to NTL/Virgin being
unable to put my number into the 'Phone Book' or Directory Enquiries.

Old February 8th 08, 09:47 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Whelan

michael adams wrote:

[...]

Are you sure you're using the correct addresses for your
incoming and outgoing mail ? The POP3 and SMTP addresses on
the servers page - reached by clicking on the servers tab.
After choosing tools\accounts\mail
At a guess they may be pop3.ntlworld for incoming mail
and smtp.ntlworld for outgoing.

For reference:

pop.ntlworld.com & smtp.ntlworld.com

Chris