Homeplug problems

Old February 10th 08, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Inglis

Default Homeplug problems

Last night, I had no problems using my Billion Bipac enabled homeplug
router with solwise homeplugs. I set up my brother with Devolo 85 mbps
plugs, and again, up until late last night, no problems.

This morning, neither of us can get a peep out of our respective homeplug
setups. I've been through the obvious checking cables, passwords, swapping
out spare homeplugs etc, and instructed him to do the same - no joy.

If I connect directly to the homeplug enabled router and scan for devices,
they are visible, but with a 0mbps data rate. Using a direct connection,
no Internet or XBOX360 problems.

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

I'm beginning to suspect that it *could* be some kind of issue with mains
power conditioning, i.e. that there's been a qualitative change to the
mains supply, and the plugs can no longer correctly add / extract whatever
high-freq. signal they use to transmit data.

We use different OS (WinXP / Linux), different broadband systems (ADSL /
Virgin), different homeplugs (Solwise + Bipac / Devolo) and are
geographically distant (Gateshead / Matlock).

Anyone have any clues?
Old February 10th 08, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam

Sean Inglis writes:
This morning, neither of us can get a peep out of our respective homeplug
setups. I've been through the obvious checking cables, passwords, swapping
out spare homeplugs etc, and instructed him to do the same - no joy.

If I connect directly to the homeplug enabled router and scan for devices,
they are visible, but with a 0mbps data rate. Using a direct connection,
no Internet or XBOX360 problems.

Was there any lightning or power surges around your area recently?
Old February 10th 08, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

In article ,
says...
[...]

I'm in Noriwch using 85Mbps solwise homeplugs, all working fine. Sorry
that's not helpful, but it's not a nationwide issue.
--
Regards
Jon
Old February 10th 08, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
seani

On Feb 10, 12:21*pm, Jon wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Jon- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, it does add to the picture.

I have an 85mbps netricity hub and it seems as if the previously
cordial relationship it had with the 14mpbs Bipac HUB+ADLS modem I
have as a gateway has dissolved overnight - no configuration or
cabling changes of any kind. If I run a cable from the Bipac to the
Netricity hub, I can use the Netricity hub to share the connection in
on room, with the Powerline side of things out of the equation.

Nothing I can do seems to let the two talk to one another now - ho-
hum.

My brothers problem now looks unrelated - through various patch cables
and messing around with his PS3 connection, we've established that the
Devolo adaptors and any cabling work perfectly. His network card is
now under suspiscion and he's just gone for a replacement at PCWorld.
In true it-never-rains-but-it-pours fashion, the tills at PC world
were down and after serving four people in front of him, the manager
refused to sell the card. This prompted him to put 15 on the counter
and walk out with the network card. There *was* a security guard, but
he didn't seem interested in getting involved.
Old February 10th 08, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
seani

On Feb 10, 11:57*am, Sam wrote:
Sean Inglis writes:
This morning, neither of us can get a peep out of our respective homeplug
setups. I've been through the obvious checking cables, passwords, swapping
out spare homeplugs etc, and instructed him to do the same - no joy.

If I connect directly to the homeplug enabled router and scan for devices,
they are visible, but with a 0mbps data rate. Using a direct connection,
no Internet or XBOX360 problems.

Was there any lightning or power surges around your area recently?

Not as far as I know, but it now looks like two separate problems and
a dash of unfortunate coincidence - thanks anyway.
Old February 10th 08, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message
,
seani wrote

Nothing I can do seems to let the two talk to one another now - ho-
hum.

Has anything else been plugged into the mains - anywhere else in the
house? You may only need something like a mobile phone charger etc. to
be introducing interference back into the mains.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Old February 10th 08, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
seani

On Feb 10, 1:10*pm, seani wrote:
On Feb 10, 12:21*pm, Jon wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

he didn't seem interested in getting involved.- Hide quoted text -

A new network card solved *his* problems.
Old February 10th 08, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
seani

On Feb 10, 1:22*pm, Alan wrote:
In message
,
seani wrote

Nothing I can do seems to let the two talk to one another now - ho-
hum.

Has anything else been plugged into the mains - anywhere else in the
house? *You may only need something like a mobile phone charger etc. to
be introducing interference back into the mains.

Well, not since going to bed last night and getting up this morning.
These things have been absolutely rock solid.
Old February 10th 08, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Inglis

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:22:44 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message
,
seani wrote

Nothing I can do seems to let the two talk to one another now - ho-
hum.

Has anything else been plugged into the mains - anywhere else in the
house? You may only need something like a mobile phone charger etc. to
be introducing interference back into the mains.

It looks increasingly like a configuration problem between the two
routers. I've opted to replace the neat integrated but non-functioning
Netricity router with an old Buffalo Airstation and 14mbps homeplug
combination. More sodding wires, but no 14/85 or Netricity/Billion
compatibility issues. Give that the Netricity router was 30 and I've
already spent 2hrs on the problem, that's the end of that.