Tuscansurf query

Old February 13th 08, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bm

Default Tuscansurf query

A friend asked me to help him with his Tuscansurf Broadband which is causing
him some grief.
I found that when he was sending email he was using yahoo which is obviously
bundled with his system
But I was amazed to find that he had to give a user name and password in
order to go on line and after that when he opened the yahoo email he had to
give a user name and password again.
What I want to know from anyone who is experienced with Tuscansurf, is this
the standard procedure?
With my Broadband I am on line automatically I switch on and can use Outlook
Express immediately.
Also when I tried to use Outlook Express with his settings I could not get a
connection
Can anyone help please
Blair

Old February 14th 08, 07:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"bm" wrote in message ...
A friend asked me to help him with his Tuscansurf Broadband which is
causing him some grief.
I found that when he was sending email he was using yahoo which is
obviously bundled with his system
But I was amazed to find that he had to give a user name and password in
order to go on line and after that when he opened the yahoo email he had
to give a user name and password again.
What I want to know from anyone who is experienced with Tuscansurf, is
this the standard procedure?
With my Broadband I am on line automatically I switch on and can use
Outlook Express immediately.
Also when I tried to use Outlook Express with his settings I could not get
a connection
Can anyone help please
Blair

Sounds like he has a USB broadband modem. I had one for a while and,
because it is powered from the PC's USB port, it shuts down with the PC
which means that, when you boot up, it has to make the connection hence the
need to enter username and password. When you connect to Yahoo they
expect a username and password to enter their system. Does his ISP not
have its own email service instead of him relying on Yahoo?
--
Keith Willcocks

Old February 14th 08, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bm

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in message

"bm" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks for your reply with your probable explanation. As far as the email
system is concerned I will check on my next visit to my friend to see if
there is a local system. I favour using Outlook Express but when I tried
with the settings he gave me I had no joy
Blair

Old February 14th 08, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bm

"bm" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have now looked at his system and there is a Toucan Surf server which he
did not use.when he failed to get a proper connection in Outlook Express.
His sister who uses the Yahoo email system put this on his PC with a
different user name and a different password to the broadband connections
settings which Toucan had given him.
I then tried these settings on Outlook Express but would not connect.
Since his telephone number is tied to the yahoo settings is it possible to
change to Outlook Express using the settings Toucan gave him in the first
place?
Blair

Old February 14th 08, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"bm" wrote in message ...
[...]

Surely if he is on broadband then his telephone number should be tied to his
ISP (Toucansurf) not Yahoo. I have a cousin who is on Toucansurf and their
email address is [email protected],com and runs in Outlook Express. Your
friend should certainly have that facility and you should be able to set up
an account for him in OE. This link is to the appropriate help pages on
Toucan's web site.
http://www.toucan.com/surf/help/defa...gory=e_express
--
Keith Willcocks

Old February 15th 08, 07:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bm

"bm" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks again. On my next visit I will follow the procedure in the web site
you quoted
Blair

Old February 15th 08, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"bm" wrote in message ...
[...]

Post back and let us know how it goes.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old February 25th 08, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bm

"bm" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have just spent a frustrating afternoon trying to set up his Outlook
Express email and after carefully following the settings given on Toucan's
Web site I could not get a connection.
I did notice however that the password which Toucan had given him consisted
of 8 characters and there were no additional characters which Toucan would
have added. In the case of Yahoo they added 8 further characters. Could this
be the problem?
Blair

Old February 26th 08, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"bm" wrote in message ...
[...]

You would need to ask Toucan that question. Is it possible that he has
changed his password at any point?

You may find an "I've forgotten my password" option on their website. I
had problems setting up a friend on a new router the other day and it turned
out that he had both his username and password wrong. Only got that sorted
by phoning his ISP.
--
Keith Willcocks