Hardware firewall with user activity monitoring?

Old February 13th 08, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JamesB

Default Hardware firewall with user activity monitoring?

Hi
We're looking to get a firewall for our network which will enable us to
report what various users are up to, block things such as p2p apps and
certain websites. What I don't need is VPN functionality, dual WAN ports,
wireless and so on.

Looking at the higher end draytek stuff, the monitoring still seems to
consist of a simple data-count per IP address and so on, rather than any
more detail. Sonicwall ones such as the TZ-150 seem to offer "Viewpoint
reporting" as an optional extra which sounds better but I'm not exactly sure
what it would give us...

Can anyone recommend anything else?

Old February 13th 08, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:20:59 +0000, JamesB wrote:

Looking at the higher end draytek stuff, the monitoring still seems to
consist of a simple data-count per IP address and so on, rather than any
more detail. Sonicwall ones such as the TZ-150 seem to offer "Viewpoint
reporting" as an optional extra which sounds better but I'm not exactly
sure what it would give us...

A five second google search would answer that question.

Can anyone recommend anything else?

You don't need Viewpoint to see what users are up to. System
Diagnostics Active Connections Monitor will show you host, port, bytes
which should be sufficient to work out what they're doing.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
17:26:54 up 4 days, 20:29, 2 users, load average: 1.30, 1.20, 1.12