BT Master Sockets

Old February 13th 08, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default BT Master Sockets

Should all homes have a BT master socket.

I think it must be over 20 years ago that a BT engineer upgraded my old
GPO sockets to BT sockets as show in the following images;

http://www.3lanes.eclipse.co.uk/temp/socket1.jpg
http://www.3lanes.eclipse.co.uk/temp/socket2.jpg

The main socket in my place does not appear to be of the type where the
faceplate can be removed for testing purposes.

It works OK but my ISP have asked that I test my equipment in the master
socket to eliminate a small problem.

Geoff Lane
Old February 13th 08, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message

: : Should all homes have a BT master socket.

Should..? Possibly. Do..? No. There are still installations with
hard-wired 706's (or even earlier..!) about.

: : I think it must be over 20 years ago that a BT engineer
: : upgraded my old GPO sockets to BT sockets as show in
: : the following images;
: :
: : http://www.3lanes.eclipse.co.uk/temp/socket1.jpg
: : http://www.3lanes.eclipse.co.uk/temp/socket2.jpg
: :
: : The main socket in my place does not appear to be of
: : the type where the faceplate can be removed for testing
: : purposes.

That's an LJU2 (or LJ2/1A to be precise, as it says on the label..!). What
you want is an NTE5.

: : It works OK but my ISP have asked that I test my
: : equipment in the master socket to eliminate a small
: : problem.

If they mean use the test socket in the NTE5 you'll have to tell them you
can't as you don't have an NTE5.

Ask BT to install one and they'll want paying for it.

Ivor

Old February 13th 08, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Broomhall

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:41:01 +0000, Geoff Lane
wrote:

Should all homes have a BT master socket.

They *should*, but many still don't! And which master socket? BT
have changed the design.

The main reasons for doing so were both technical and legal. The
legal one is that it marks a definitive boundary between BT's
equipment and yours.

I think it must be over 20 years ago that a BT engineer upgraded my old
GPO sockets to BT sockets as show in the following images;

http://www.3lanes.eclipse.co.uk/temp/socket1.jpg
http://www.3lanes.eclipse.co.uk/temp/socket2.jpg

The main socket in my place does not appear to be of the type where the
faceplate can be removed for testing purposes.

It works OK but my ISP have asked that I test my equipment in the master
socket to eliminate a small problem.

The socket shown in your pics is the original type. Nowadays the
preferred type is the NTE5. See lower on the page he
http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

When you remove the lower plate this disconnects the lines in your
house, and the socket exposed is connected directly to your line.
This is why the ISP ask for this, it helps to eliminate poor house
wiring from affecting the signal.

Tell your ISP that you have the older type of master socket so can't
do the test they expect. Or ask BT to replace the master - but they
will almost certainly charge you to do this if there is no other
fault.

Regards,
Harry.

Old February 13th 08, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Geoff Lane wrote:

Should all homes have a BT master socket.

I think it must be over 20 years ago that a BT engineer upgraded my old
GPO sockets to BT sockets as show in the following images;

http://www.3lanes.eclipse.co.uk/temp/socket1.jpg
http://www.3lanes.eclipse.co.uk/temp/socket2.jpg

The main socket in my place does not appear to be of the type where the
faceplate can be removed for testing purposes.

Mine's exactly the same.

It works OK but my ISP have asked that I test my equipment in the master
socket to eliminate a small problem.

The disadvantage with 'our' arrangeemnt is that there is no simple way to
disconnect any fixed extension wiring.

Graham

Old February 13th 08, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Should all homes have a BT master socket.

AFAIK it isn't common to retrofit NTE5's with the provision
of ADSL.
But if you are wired off a pole, and your phone crackles
when the wind blows, an engineer may have to replace
the dropwire, particularly if their records show it hasn't
been replaced for many years.
Then with the right approach, mention of broadband
problems, which could have been due to the dropwire,
but as a precaution to facilitate future troubleshooting he
might be persuaded to checkout, or fit an NTE5.
..
Old February 13th 08, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Geoff Lane" wrote in message

[...]

Not quite, if there is a LLU SFI fault raised one of the first things
which the engineer should do is fit a Openreach NTE5a _FREE_.

Old February 13th 08, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

That's an LJU2 (or LJ2/1A to be precise, as it says on the label..!). What
you want is an NTE5.

If he gets one fitted, will the LJU2 be left serviceable just as the Jack
Socket 95A
has been left? The OPs skirting board is becoming a veritable museum piece.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old February 13th 08, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Geoff Lane wrote:
Should all homes have a BT master socket.

I think it must be over 20 years ago that a BT engineer upgraded my
old GPO sockets to BT sockets as show in the following images;

http://www.3lanes.eclipse.co.uk/temp/socket1.jpg
http://www.3lanes.eclipse.co.uk/temp/socket2.jpg

The main socket in my place does not appear to be of the type where
the faceplate can be removed for testing purposes.

It works OK but my ISP have asked that I test my equipment in the
master socket to eliminate a small problem.

Geoff Lane

Bt will charge you to upgrade their service point, that you pay them £10 a
month to maintain.

*******.

Gaz

Old February 13th 08, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

kraftee wrote:
Ivor Jones wrote:
"Geoff Lane" wrote in message

[...]

ROFL, after a four hour conversation with the indian call centre from your
isp, who seem to think reseting your tcp stack on your pc will make the
router sync.

What does SFI stand for by the way?

Gaz