Dropped Packet Statistics

Old February 13th 08, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Dropped Packet Statistics

I am trying to trace a slight network problem and am wondering as to
what is the best statistic to look at.

My router adsl information page refers to corrected and uncorrected
blocks; this is not a term I am familiar with.

What should I be looking at in relation to dropped packets as I believe
this has an effect on overall performance.

Geoff Lane
Followup-To:uk.telecom.broadband
Old February 14th 08, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I am trying to trace a slight network problem and am wondering as to what
is the best statistic to look at.

My router adsl information page refers to corrected and uncorrected
blocks; this is not a term I am familiar with.

What should I be looking at in relation to dropped packets as I believe
this has an effect on overall performance.

The bits carried by the ADSL service are assembled into blocks, and some
extra bits are added to each block as a checksum. If a small proportion of
the bits are corrupted in transit the checksum may allow the the original
information of the block to be reconstracted - the block would then be
logged as "corrected". If too many bits are corrupted the block cannot be
corrected -it would then be counted as "uncorrected".

At a higher level of protocol, if a block is received as uncorrected, a
reply is sent requesting retransmission.

The correction overhead is small - it is usually carried out by the firmware
in the router.

The retransmission overhead is obviously significant.

Anything other than zero for either count indicates an unreliability in the
connection. But a small proportion of corrected blocks would be reasonable,
while a large proportion of uncorrected blocks would suggests a problem.

--
Graham J

Old February 14th 08, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Geoff Lane wrote:
I am trying to trace a slight network problem and am wondering as to
what is the best statistic to look at.

My router adsl information page refers to corrected and uncorrected
blocks; this is not a term I am familiar with.

What should I be looking at in relation to dropped packets as I believe
this has an effect on overall performance.

If you suspect loss on your adsl line see if your router gives an error
counter for Rx AAL5 PDUs/frames or something similar - If you post what
your router is someone may be able to help.

It's possible for BT to mess their network up in such a way that your
line is OK, but you still get loss.

The uncorrected blocks refer to errors on your line which may trash a
packet - but only if there is one in transit at the time of the error.

Andy.
Old February 14th 08, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Graham J wrote:

I am trying to trace a slight network problem and am wondering as to what
is the best statistic to look at.

My router adsl information page refers to corrected and uncorrected
blocks; this is not a term I am familiar with.

Anything other than zero for either count indicates an unreliability in the
connection. But a small proportion of corrected blocks would be reasonable,
while a large proportion of uncorrected blocks would suggests a problem.

My router shows as follows;

ADSL Information
ATM Statistics
TX Blocks 25010913
RX Blocks 25010706
Corrected Blocks 65550
Uncorrected Blocks 2001

Geoff Lane

Old February 14th 08, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Geoff Lane wrote:

My router shows as follows;

ADSL Information
ATM Statistics
TX Blocks 25010913
RX Blocks 25010706
Corrected Blocks 65550
Uncorrected Blocks 2001

Further to my previous post, this is for a router up time of 14 hours.

Geoff Lane