Wireless Ethernet Bridge trouble

Old February 14th 08, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Satch

Default Wireless Ethernet Bridge trouble

Hi,

I'm trying to connect a PC to my wireless network using a wireless
ethernet bridge. I've got a wireless ADSL router, another PC connected
via a wireless PCI card, and a laptop with wireless capabilities, all
connected to the wireless network.

When I configure the wireless ethernet bridge on the second PC, after a
short while I get an IP address conflict and access to the internet
tends to go down.

I'm using the setting which automatically assigns IP addresses, so I
don't know what to do next. Any traps for young players that I should
watch out for? Also are there any good step by step guides out there
which show how to set up a network like mine?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Satch.

View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=38728
http://www.wirelessforums.org

Old February 14th 08, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Al

"Satch" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm trying to connect a PC to my wireless network using a wireless
ethernet bridge. I've got a wireless ADSL router, another PC connected
via a wireless PCI card, and a laptop with wireless capabilities, all
connected to the wireless network.

When I configure the wireless ethernet bridge on the second PC, after a
short while I get an IP address conflict and access to the internet
tends to go down.

I'm using the setting which automatically assigns IP addresses, so I
don't know what to do next. Any traps for young players that I should
watch out for? Also are there any good step by step guides out there
which show how to set up a network like mine?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

You don't say what kit you are using but from the description I would say
that you have 2 devices issuing an IP address via DHCP.
Make sure only one device is sending DHCP

Alastair

Old February 14th 08, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Harry Broomhall

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 04:30:30 -0500, Satch
wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to connect a PC to my wireless network using a wireless
ethernet bridge. I've got a wireless ADSL router, another PC connected
via a wireless PCI card, and a laptop with wireless capabilities, all
connected to the wireless network.

When I configure the wireless ethernet bridge on the second PC, after a
short while I get an IP address conflict and access to the internet
tends to go down.

I'm using the setting which automatically assigns IP addresses, so I
don't know what to do next. Any traps for young players that I should
watch out for? Also are there any good step by step guides out there
which show how to set up a network like mine?

Without knowing the kit it is hard to say what the problem is. Why
a bridge? Why not just use a USB WiFi dongle on the second PC?

Note that very few Access Points can run in bridge mode at the same
time as normal Infrastructure mode. I know some Asus units will do
this, but many others I checked could not.

Regards,
Harry.