Tiscali Siemens SE587 wireless router

Old February 14th 08, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Default Tiscali Siemens SE587 wireless router

My neighbour just received the above.

He was having trouble with it so I took a look. The first odd thing is
that on his own PC, although it appears to be connected to his ethernet
connection OK, I can't access it at 192.168.1.1 using IE. Oh and I
disabled Zone Alarm too just in case.

I took it back to my place and it responded to 192.168.1.1 just fine,
rejected them, presumably because I'm not on a Tiscali LLU connection.
It's rather annoying you can't just enter the login without it being
'online' though !

Is it possible to 're-flash' it to an unbranded version of the firmware
? I imagine that might be more helpful.

Graham

Old February 14th 08, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Eeyore" wrote in message
My neighbour just received the above.

He was having trouble with it so I took a look. The first odd thing is
that on his own PC, although it appears to be connected to his ethernet
connection OK, I can't access it at 192.168.1.1 using IE. Oh and I
disabled Zone Alarm too just in case.

Could you ping it?

--
Graham J

Old February 15th 08, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Graham J wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote

My neighbour just received the above.

He was having trouble with it so I took a look. The first odd thing is
that on his own PC, although it appears to be connected to his ethernet
connection OK, I can't access it at 192.168.1.1 using IE. Oh and I
disabled Zone Alarm too just in case.

Could you ping it?

You know I hadn't thought of that.

It turned out that the problem was the old software still loaded for his USB
modem. Now considering how many custoemrs Tiscali has who probably have one of
those from before, I find it astonishing that their 'installation CD' made no
mention of the need to remove it (or detect it ).

Graham